• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Decided to try my hand at building a 7.62x39 AR15. Considered doing this several years ago but after seeing the problems people were having I went with a 300 blk instead. (Turned out great, enjoyed it for a year, sold it) After enough research and some newer products coming to market I felt confident to tackle it.

The majority of the build was sale items and miscellaneous parts I had on hand already. The purpose of it was for plinking and range toy, just for fun build. I decided on building an upper to run on my existing carbine lower. If it gave me feeding issues, was going to try a PSA lower that eats from AK mags. Luckily I didn’t need to go that route. Here’s how it turned out.
    597AE749-6156-4717-92C2-95D568D8FAB1.jpeg
    BF6FB084-678F-4F25-8C30-A459638C1BBE.jpeg
    Build list is as follows
    -Diamondback 7.62x39 barrel, 16 inch, .311 bore, carbine gas
    -KAK mini comp (sorta looks like an early AK muzzle device)
    -Faxon Bolt 7.62 type 1 (don’t skimp)
    -CMMG firing pin
    -BCA carrier, side charging (What I had on hand)
    -C product DURAMAG 20 (don’t skimp)
    -mil spec trigger group
    -H1 buffer (approx 40% heavier)
    Topped it off with some premium YHM and Diamondhead sights (had on hand) and Magpul furniture to make it look a bit more AK ish.

Took it to the range and ran 40 rounds though it. Both surplus brass Yugo M67 and some Barnaul steel case. Running flawlessly, although I’m still expecting some light primer strikes without using an enhanced firing pin. Accuracy is acceptable for irons at 50 yards, I need to put optics on to get it any smaller. 979FC59C-C138-4CB3-BBAB-7F10DDE96F37.jpeg

The short and sweet is this… 7.62 ARs have 3 basic weak points; mags, bolts, and firing pins. I found the Duramags to work, Faxon bolt to work, and a CMMG pin to work so long as I keep milspec hammer spring.

Decided on calling it “Stoneikov” of course after Eugene Stoner and Mikhail Kalashnikov. So far enjoying this a lot. Not worrying about handloads or anything, just feed it cheap stuff I find and to keep training on centerfires. Hope y’all enjoyed seeing this red-headed step child of a build, and maybe this will help some of you builders out there. Would be great to see other AR 7.62s down below.
    :patriot::smileak::ar15:

Last edited:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I did something similar a couple years back. I tried to make the AR platform look as AKish as I could. I will try to post some pics of it.

Since I don't want to bite your name "Stoneikov", I will call mine a "Kalashtoner"

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Built one up years ago. Used a Liberty Gun Works enhanced barrel, a Black Rifle Arms midlength gas barrel, an extra power hammer spring, and an enhanced firing pin. I run C-Products 28-round magazines in them, and in 7-8k rounds of steel case through it, have never had any issues.

I built the gun when 7.62x39 was significantly cheaper than 5.56, and was easily available. The idea behind it was to have a 7.62x39 clone of one of my ARs, in case 5.56 got stupid expensive, or hard to find.

20211220_164347.jpg

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Being a little late to the party, as usual, I'm wanting in on this AR 7.62 x 39 game.
    I'm not into building uppers, more into bolting an upper onto a lower and heading to a range.
    I've read some articles suggesting an enhanced firing pin, a heavy trigger spring and quality mags, is there anything else I need to be mindful of regarding reliability?
    Been looking at complete uppers from BCA and up, any suggestions on what to get or what to avoid?
    This will be a range toy only and probably shoot a mixed bag of brass and steel cased ammo.
    Thanks.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Being a little late to the party, as usual, I'm wanting in on this AR 7.62 x 39 game.
    I'm not into building uppers, more into bolting an upper onto a lower and heading to a range.
    I've read some articles suggesting an enhanced firing pin, a heavy trigger spring and quality mags, is there anything else I need to be mindful of regarding reliability?
    Been looking at complete uppers from BCA and up, any suggestions on what to get or what to avoid?
    This will be a range toy only and probably shoot a mixed bag of brass and steel cased ammo.
    Thanks.
    If you want to go that route I think the only thing to know is that the BCA uppers have been known to break extractors which isn’t going to be a big deal if it’s a range toy. Just something to keep in mind.

BCA was shipping them with kinda crappy mags last I knew so buying a Duramag will be a good idea. I have had great feeding with my duramag 20rd. Got some 28s this week so gonna test those soon.

Shouldn’t need to worry about their firing pin, I was under the impression they were installing longer pins from the factory.

Trigger shouldn’t be an issue unless your lower has some really light hammer spring. I’ve had no issue with my mil spec hammer spring.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If you want to go that route I think the only thing to know is that the BCA uppers have been known to break extractors which isn’t going to be a big deal if it’s a range toy. Just something to keep in mind.

BCA was shipping them with kinda crappy mags last I knew so buying a Duramag will be a good idea. I have had great feeding with my duramag 20rd. Got some 28s this week so gonna test those soon.

Shouldn’t need to worry about their firing pin, I was under the impression they were installing longer pins from the factory.

Trigger shouldn’t be an issue unless your lower has some really light hammer spring. I’ve had no issue with my mil spec hammer spring.
    I've had good results with BCA uppers in the 762x39 caliber. Also have one from PSA.
    It's my all around favorite ar15 caliber choice.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Guys I just got conformation from BCA that their 7.62x39mm barrels are .308 in diameter so you can run 30 cal bullets without any problems as well as the .310 caliber as I have done without problems in their barrels.

Good Morning
    So, the diameter of our 7.62x39 barrels are .308.

Ivan Canot
    Bear Creek Arsenal, LLC

310 McNeill Road, Sanford, N.C, U.S.A.

www.bearcreekarsenal.com

919-292-6000

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Decided to try these 28 round Duramags in the Stonikov.
    IMG_20230301_032323_086.jpg

I find it very odd that these are offered in a 30 round, and 28 round model. My suspicion is that 30s are having some issues so 28 is their solution. Not sure, just a thought.

This one was fairly tight the first few times loaded to 28. With so much tension at 28 rounds it slowed the first round pick up enough to cause a failure to go into battery.

Luckily as with some things, I just used the crap out of it until it wore in. Now its running fully loaded just fine. Ill recommend them, just know they may need broke in.
    IMG_20230301_032323_629.jpg
    I kinda think they look better in the rifle too :cool:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Decided to try these 28 round Duramags in the Stonikov.
    View attachment 259151

I find it very odd that these are offered in a 30 round, and 28 round model. My suspicion is that 30s are having some issues so 28 is their solution. Not sure, just a thought.

This one was fairly tight the first few times loaded to 28. With so much tension at 28 rounds it slowed the first round pick up enough to cause a failure to go into battery.

Luckily as with some things, I just used the crap out of it until it wore in. Now its running fully loaded just fine. Ill recommend them, just know they may need broke in.
    View attachment 259152
    I kinda think they look better in the rifle too :cool:
    The 28rd came out before the 30rd. People wanted the 30rd magazine and duramag made one.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I built a 7.62x39 AR-15 years ago now.
    I picked up a complete Model 1 upper at the 1500.
    Haven't had an issue with it since I bought x39 mags.
    I have been to a 1500 in at least 15 years, so it's been longer than that when I built mine.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I did some research and it seems most 7.62x39mm shear their extractors at some point. Some as little as 400rds some over 1500rds.
    I've read that the KAK extractors seem to last quite awhile.
    So if you shoot a lot of 7.62x39mm it wouldn't hurt to have a few more quality extractors on hand.
    I normally have extra parts just for this occasion. However, since it seems 7.62x39mm likes to destroy extractors it wouldn't hurt to have a few extra.
    I wonder if this applies to the 6.5 Grendel as well? Or is it something to do with people shooting steel cases?

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I did some research and it seems most 7.62x39mm shear their extractors at some point. Some as little as 400rds some over 1500rds.
    I've read that the KAK extractors seem to last quite awhile.
    So if you shoot a lot of 7.62x39mm it wouldn't hurt to have a few more quality extractors on hand.
    I normally have extra parts just for this occasion. However, since it seems 7.62x39mm likes to destroy extractors it wouldn't hurt to have a few extra.
    I wonder if this applies to the 6.5 Grendel as well? Or is it something to do with people shooting steel cases?
    This is the exact reason I decided against using a cheaper bolt for this build, even tho this was a spare parts budget build. Went with the Faxon bolt and put it in an older BCA carrier. I'm about 100 rounds into the Stonikov and its running well.

You're probably right about the steel case. It has less give than brass. Ive been shooting that older brass Yugo ammo and notice that the bolt really does have to snap over kinda hard onto the case head. Leaves very obvious marks.

Haven't heard of it happening with Grendel. Other than ive heard guys shearing bolt lugs because primer pressure signs show up way after Grendel top end pressure in autoloaders.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Did you research the Young Manufacturing bolt by chance?

One of the best youtubers I watch (IMO) did a lot of 7.62 ARs and his solution ultimately was the YM bolt.

I highly recommend his channel for the reviews in general. He's the only guy I've ever actually supported financially on patreon/subscribe star. He helped me with a build and is building an upper for me right now actually.

Top Bottom