• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    I'm looking to slowly build a rifle part by part, on a very tight budget. From everything I've read and watch it looks pretty easy. My main concern is the barrel install, and head spacing. If the barrel and the receiver are already indexed how can you correct head space or would that be a faulty barrel/receiver? Or maybe I'll forgo the headache and find a gunsmith to install it, dose anyone know a rough price of a gunsmith? And I'm around the Columbus area. Thanks.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'm looking to slowly build a rifle part by part, on a very tight budget. From everything I've read and watch it looks pretty easy. My main concern is the barrel install, and head spacing. If the barrel and the receiver are already indexed how can you correct head space or would that be a faulty barrel/receiver? Or maybe I'll forgo the headache and find a gunsmith to install it, dose anyone know a rough price of a gunsmith? And I'm around the Columbus area. Thanks.

headspacing is done when the chamber is cut, not something you would typically do at assembly. head spacing can be checked if you have access to the gauges. some barrel makers sell barrel/bolt matched sets where they basically check HS for you.

"very tight budget" and build yourself don't go hand in hand unless you have access to the tools to borrow/use. by the time you buy vice blocks and barrel wrenches and HS gauges you'll have spent more than buying an assembled budget gun, and that assumes you already have the calipers, punches, locktite or whatever else misc tools you may need depending on the parts you select....

-rvb

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    In an AR15 head space is set with the barrel extension. It's set at the factory when the extension is added to the barrel. You can buy a gauge and check it if you like,but most people find it unnecessary.
    AR's differ from most rifles in this way.
    I built my AR on a budget also. I think I've got $475 in mine. I bought a used upper though, minus the BCG.
    Get your 50 quality posts and check out the classifieds here and you might be able to pick up most of it used.

Edit to add-
    do a search for AR head space on here and it will give you some reading on it

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    These guys are 100% correct. The AR platform is the Lego/Erector set of rifles. You can mix and match parts to build what you want on a budget. It's an easy build especially if you buy a assembled upper. Head spacing won't be an issue.

You should consider putting your City or even County in your profile in your post. A lot of us (me included) don't mind lending a hand with a new build. I have all the tools. I have helped a few and build a few for myself. Knowing your location might get you some help. We are a helpful group!

MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    Thanks, I may take someone up on the offer of tools when I need them. I'm very new to ARs only shot .22s and shotguns before. Unfortunately I may be asking more questions than helping out others, I hope that can change in the future. But on that note, what are the real differences in price ranges? Like a stripped lower

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have seen blemished start around 60 or so. The prices are all over the place depending on brand. I bought my RRA new for 100 a few years ago.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county

Here are some low cost receivers. https://squareup.com/market/reading-armament

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Why even mess with building the upper? There are some screaming deals out there on complete upper halves.

Because it's fun!! :yesway: Seriously though. In the long run it's probably cheaper to buy assembled. But nothing beats the feeling of pulling the trigger on something you built your self. My first AR was an assembled upper and a kit lower. Then I got the urge to do it all. Even machined a 80% lower. I have another 2 in the works. It's fun stuff!!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I'm in Columbus and have all the tools (some are sort of on loan right now... *looking pointedly at no one in particular*), so depending on the route you take might be able to give you a hand. Only done two builds so far, but they run just fine.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Because you can't always find exactly what you're looking for in an upper, and it may be more expensive to buy a complete and then swap parts to make it into what you want.

Why even mess with building the upper? There are some screaming deals out there on complete upper halves.

MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    Because you can't always find exactly what you're looking for in an upper, and it may be more expensive to buy a complete and then swap parts to make it into what you want.
    This is exactly what I was trying to avoid, spending money and then spending money again. But not knowing too much about the rifle except what I've read, I think I'm looking for a 16" barrel mid-length gas system and free float. I may start with the A-2 front sight and change to free float later.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    This is exactly what I was trying to avoid, spending money and then spending money again. But not knowing too much about the rifle except what I've read, I think I'm looking for a 16" barrel mid-length gas system and free float. I may start with the A-2 front sight and change to free float later.

Just buy the mid-length complete upper that you want and and lower build kit. Put it together and go shoot it and get used to the gun and then upgrade the handguard

MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    Thank, I may take you up on the offer. I'm just gathering info right now, and got a lot on this thread. I plan on getting a lower sometime next month. Do you know a good place to get one?

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Thank, I may take you up on the offer. I'm just gathering info right now, and got a lot on this thread. I plan on getting a lower sometime next month. Do you know a good place to get one?

The internet. :):

But seriously. I saw some stripped AeroPrecision lowers at Bradis in Camby a few weeks ago. I believe they were going for somewhere around $65.

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    When you say on a budget, what do you mean? $400, $500? Here is one that I built minus the optic (I already had the scope) for $540. I splurged on the Chrome lined barrel and and Colt Bolt, but I still got those at an AMAZING deal.
    Here is the breakdown.
    Lower: Anderson Arms (Custom engraved Biohazard done by a friend)
    LPK: Anderson MilSpec
    Stock and Buffer Tube: PSA PTAC
    Upper: Aero Precision M4 Flattop
    BCG: Unknown Chromlined Bolt Carrier with Colt Bolt
    Barrel: JBO 16" Chromelined 1/7 with birdcage muzzlebreak
    Handguards: Magpul MOE Midlength
    Gas System: Midlength with Core 15 railed Gas Block.

MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    When you say on a budget, what do you mean? $400, $500? Here is one that I built minus the optic (I already had the scope) for $540. I splurged on the Chrome lined barrel and and Colt Bolt, but I still got those at an AMAZING deal.
    Here is the breakdown.
    Lower: Anderson Arms (Custom engraved Biohazard done by a friend)
    LPK: Anderson MilSpec
    Stock and Buffer Tube: PSA PTAC
    Upper: Aero Precision M4 Flattop
    BCG: Unknown Chromlined Bolt Carrier with Colt Bolt
    Barrel: JBO 16" Chromelined 1/7 with birdcage muzzlebreak
    Handguards: Magpul MOE Midlength
    Gas System: Midlength with Core 15 railed Gas Block.

Just not wanting to plop down $1200 at one time. Still have bill to pay.

Top Bottom