• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VanillaThunder

Shooter
    Rating - 94.5%
    52   3   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    ok, i know this is probably out there somewhere, but hopefully i can get an answer here from you guys.... i didnt want to hijack the group buy thread.

i am interested in building an AR or two (while i still can), but i think i would like to chamber in 5.45 simply due to ammo cost. with the lower marked as "5.56" rather than "multi", is there any reason whatsoever that i should be concerned? i do not want to do anything illegal, immoral, unethical, etc..

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A good choice. You can shoot the .223 throught a barrel marked only for 5.56 but NOT the other way around. Do not shoot a 5.56 through a barrel marked for .223 only.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Just playing devil's advocate here but it is something to think about.

If said SHTF happens there will be ALOT more 5.56 than 5.45. How many 5.45's do you know of near you that incase you are out of ammo they can give/sell to you? In my case I know of no less than 12 guys within 5 miles of my house with 5.56. the point at which you were the only guy shooting 5.45 and you are out the AR is now a high dollar bat.

Now on the other hand if you own multiple 5.45 ammo'd guns and have an a-load of said ammo stashed then have it and good luck with your build

Last edited:

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    A good choice. You can shoot the .223 throught a barrel marked only for 5.56 but NOT the other way around. Do not shoot a 5.56 through a barrel marked for .223 only.

He was actually talking about the 5.45x39mm Russian round, not the NATO 5.56x45mm round. I kind of agree with the above post though, the biggest reason not to go with a 5.45 build is the ammo availability and I mean just in general since all the 5.45 ammo is imported and I haven't seen any manufactured here, unlike .223 Remington which is incredibly common.

babolat69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    The other issue is that the cheap 5.45 is all corrosive. I usually shoot corrosive ammo in my mil surplus but an AR is different as it is impossible to clean every corner so corrosion is inevitable. In any case, I saw a guy once make an analysis where if you shoot more than x rounds per month, the savings on the 5.45 vs 5.56 is substancial enough that you can buy replacement parts (including barrel) for your A/R and still come out on top...

Top Bottom