• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I’m looking to build a NON-5.56 general purpose AR15 rifle that I can also hunt deer & coyote with. I’m trying to keep barrel length as short as legally possible without completely neutering the cartridge capability. Possible shot range is 20-300 yards and I hunt tree stands and blinds. So far I’m considering 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, & 6mm ARC. Big bores like 450 Bushmaster aren’t an option as my daughters may use it as well. Are there any other calibers I should be looking at? What caliber and barrel length are you guys using?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    300 BO or 350 legend ftw.

Personally I have a 350 legend and the deer I took last year made me a huge believer. Idc what the numbers show the terminal ballistics of the 350 are hands down far and above calibers far above it’s weight class.

It was a 75 yard single lung shot that upon impact because a double lung with a slight nick to the heart. Dropped her dead in her tracks. It was the cleanest harvest I’ve ever seen outside of a 12 ga Hornady slug. Rounds are relatively inexpensive and readily available.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I love the .350 Legend, and highly recommend it. Ammo cost and availability are nice and you can typically buy the ammo at WalMart, unlike other AR calibers. 200 yards would be easy, but dunno about 300 yards and terminal effects, strictly because I have no experience in that matter.
    I built mine with a 16" AR Stoner barrel and it shoots into about 1 1/2" @ 100 yards with Winchester Deer Season XP. I imagine a Faxon barrel would be a little more accurate, but for what I want, mine is plenty accurate. Deer and Hogs on public land were the main idea behind this rifle and I was able to hunt with it last year, but did not get a deer.
    I also have a couple .300 BLK's that I could deer hunt with as well, but I just like the .350 better for hunting. The .300 BLK has proven to be effective for deer and the choice of ammo is much better than in .350, but is not available at WalMart.

Last edited:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I love the .350 Legend, and highly recommend it. Ammo cost and availability are nice and you can typically buy the ammo at WalMart, unlike other AR calibers. 200 yards would be easy, but dunno about 300 yards and terminal effects, strictly because I have no experience in that matter.
    I built mine with a 16" AR Stoner barrel and it shoots into about 1 1/2" @ 100 yards with Winchester Deer Season XP. I imagine a Faxon barrel would be a little more accurate, but for what I want, mine is plenty accurate. Deer and Hogs on public land were the main idea behind this rifle and I was able to hunt with it last year, but did not get a deer.
    I also have a couple .300 BLK's that I could deer hunt with as well, but I just like the .350 better for hunting. The .300 BLK has proven to be effective for deer and the choice of ammo is much better than in .350, but is not available at WalMart.
    This.. I hunt with a 300blk. But I built it years before 350 legend. Recoil would be less for 300blk butike he said ammo available and price and distance ya can shoot are better

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I will be using a 6.5 Grendel for deer this year. I have a 20" barrel with a suppressor on the end, but you don't lose much going to a 16" barrel. It is plenty good on deer and hogs out to 350 yards.

The 350 legend is a great cartridge under 200 yards, but it starts dropping pretty quick at longer ranges. I chose the Grendel for this reason, a flatter trajectory is more forgiving if you guess the range of the animal wrong.

Last edited:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Guess I’m the odd man out. I went to a 6.8 SPC a few years ago. Great cartridge, if you reload and can find brass. Built for shorter barrels so it gives up nothing in 16” tubes.
    I set mine up with a maximum point blank range of 250 yards. Hold the crosshairs on the back for deer at 300.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Upto 300yds 7.62x39mm will have plenty of power and accuracy. It's also much cheaper to shoot than any other out there.
    6.5 Grendel is right there too. IMO much more accurate. However the ammunition is very pricey right now.
    I just built a 7.62x39mm AR because of the cost of the Grendel. It shoots good with cheap Russian 125gr SP. I'd have no problem shooting deer out to 300yds with it. Although my hunting area is lucky to get 75yd shoot since it's heavily wooded area.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you don't reload, the .350 is the obvious choice. Ammo is widely available and relatively inexpensive. If you reload, you have a lot of choices but IMO, the quality hunting bullet selection for the 6.8 is better than the other options. Almost all of the .277 bullets in the appropriate weight range for the 6.8 are designed for hunting. Most of the other caliber options just co-opt bullets of the appropriate weight, many of which are either target or varmint bullets not really that suitable for hunting. If you're serious about shooting to 300 yards, the 7.62x39 and .300 BO should fall to the bottom of your list and the .350 is borderline, IMO.

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    Upto 300yds 7.62x39mm will have plenty of power and accuracy. It's also much cheaper to shoot than any other out there.
    6.5 Grendel is right there too. IMO much more accurate. However the ammunition is very pricey right now.
    I just built a 7.62x39mm AR because of the cost of the Grendel. It shoots good with cheap Russian 125gr SP. I'd have no problem shooting deer out to 300yds with it. Although my hunting area is lucky to get 75yd shoot since it's heavily wooded area.
    What length barrel do you have? Have you had any issues with light primer strikes?

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have the 6.5, 300 and 350, The .350 for Indiana woods is a heck of a good choice. Mine is exceptionally accurate as well and ammo much easier to find.

JD1966

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2022
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I’m looking to build a NON-5.56 general purpose AR15 rifle that I can also hunt deer & coyote with. I’m trying to keep barrel length as short as legally possible without completely neutering the cartridge capability. Possible shot range is 20-300 yards and I hunt tree stands and blinds. So far I’m considering 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, & 6mm ARC. Big bores like 450 Bushmaster aren’t an option as my daughters may use it as well. Are there any other calibers I should be looking at? What caliber and barrel length are you guys using?
    I didn't think hunting with hp rifle was legal in Indiana except for nuisance critters.

Top Bottom