• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NorthLiberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    I have only owned a pistol, never a rifle and now I am browsing for an AR. I have spoken with several folks about proper ammo and some say use .223 or 5.56 as they are the exact same. Do all AR-15 rifles accept either one unconditionally?

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Not necessarily.

5.56 can have higher pressures which you should not shoot in an upper that is marked .223.

A 5.56 can shoot .223 but the .223 should not shoot 5.56.

NorthLiberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Thanks, also I have only bought from a dealer with all the paper work and stuff, but most sales in marketplace say ftf only. What exactly does that mean? FFl is different, correct?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    FTF in this case is Face To Face, as a personal sale not thru a dealer.

When you get an AR in any style make sure it is set up for the 5.56x45. That way you don't have to worry about which ammo you use, .223 can be shot in a barrel set for 5.56x45 but it can get dangerous to shoot 5.56 in a .223 barrel.

NorthLiberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    I really am new to firearms in general and will continue asking questions. Will someone please explain exactly what a 30.06 cartridge is as far as the numbers relating to actual measurements?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have only owned a pistol, never a rifle and now I am browsing for an AR. I have spoken with several folks about proper ammo and some say use .223 or 5.56 as they are the exact same. Do all AR-15 rifles accept either one unconditionally?

Welcome to the world of black rifles! Like others say, get an AR is 5.56 as it makes your life easier. There are AR's now of all calibers but for your first, I would go with the norm.

NorthLiberty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    If I purchase one called a flat top, is it still possible to mount a carry handle on it without having to buy a new upper? Also I like the old look of the Vietnam handguard that was a little more triangular than today's round and picatinny style. Is there a website that might sell something like that, or would I have to look at an entirely new upper reciever?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If I purchase one called a flat top, is it still possible to mount a carry handle on it without having to buy a new upper? Also I like the old look of the Vietnam handguard that was a little more triangular than today's round and picatinny style. Is there a website that might sell something like that, or would I have to look at an entirely new upper reciever?

Uppers come in A1 (Vietnam style as it were), A2 (taller handle with better sights - up and down, left and right), and flattops. You can get a latch on A2 to go on the flattop which is very common and probably the most versatile setup for you to start with. You can also just buy a rear sight with no handle which is also nice and those can be A1 simple or A2 robust.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Great, I thank you all for your help.

NO problem, as I had my turn to ask all these questions and got answers. Now I get to give back. Actually, there were questions I wish I had asked because if I had done so I could have made fewer mistakes and saved big time money.

So ask away!

Top Bottom