• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    This was a recent build based upon Yankee Hill Machine's Model 57 components.
    Their components are really top notch; nice quality, great billet sets.
    Hanguard with matching muzzle brake, Upper, and Lower are all YHM Model 57 components.
    Barrel is a YHM fluted barrel.
    Installed a JP Enterprises adjustable gas block with YHM gas tube. It's a carbine length, so it will be interesting to see how the adjustable gas system regulates the back pressure. I've heard it doens't affect it, but can't see how tuning a gas system on any gas system length is a bad thing...will have to experiment myself.
    Magpul UBR stock and MOE plus grip. I am pleased with the quality of the stock. Hesitant to purchase one due to cost, but after feeling it in my hands I can understand. Not as comfortable as the STR or ACS, but locks up tight quickly.
    For the internals I used a Strike Industries enhanced parts kit. This was my first time using their kits and will not be the last. Everywhere I could use strike industries on the small components, I did - dust cover, bolt assist, etc. The trigger is a nickle boron kit which is a crisp break, but will have to put something a little better in there when the sales start again.

IMG_E1345 (1).jpg
    IMG_E1343 (1).jpg

Last edited:

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Decided to post another build that I'm a little proud of. I have to be since I've sunk so much time into it.
    It started on a PSA billet receiver set. I wouldn't hesitate to get another set at the prices they once offered for it; a steal in my opinion.
    It's got a KAK 18" barrel (Green mountain barrel) with the dimpling. Let's hope I never drop this rifle in the mud. It looks even better in person. I still haven't studied how well it groups, hope to get to that this year.
    I purchased a keymod handguard then milled off the sides and then hand filed the sides clean - again a labor of love. Did that to show off the barrel a little and do something a little different.
    I dropped a RRA two stage trigger with the JP spring package and am very satisfied with the two stage break. This was the first time I used the Magpul BAD lever and wish they were a little cheaper, but they are fun on a build or two. The smaller components are primarily Strike Industries parts. I just got in the Hera mag and haven't fed it in. The OD green colors look closer in person.
    Speaking about the color. I coated the components myself using the Alumahyde II OD Green from Brownells. Took some find tuning to get a process down.
    Ultimately, I found heating the components past 200F and then painting produced the most uniform coating, then baked at 350. Like most will agree, prep work is where you should spend most of your time. I also am learning that it's not that tough a coating, but good enough for me. Like the fact that I can touch any spot up within a minute. Can't compare it to GunKote/Cerakote in terms of durability.
    As you can see there's no scope. Took my Vortex 1-8x off to put on another rifle, but the Bobro mount will stay on this. Very impressed with Bobro's manufacturing; snagged a used unit off feeBay and while other mounts are more than sufficient, there is a noticeable difference in terms of quality. If you've read this far, my apologies.

IMG_E1355.jpg
    IMG_E1354.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_E1358.jpg IMG_1359.jpg

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Decided to post another build that I'm a little proud of. I have to be since I've sunk so much time into it.
    It started on a PSA billet receiver set. I wouldn't hesitate to get another set at the prices they once offered for it; a steal in my opinion.
    It's got a KAK 18" barrel (Green mountain barrel) with the dimpling. Let's hope I never drop this rifle in the mud. It looks even better in person. I still haven't studied how well it groups, hope to get to that this year.
    I purchased a keymod handguard then milled off the sides and then hand filed the sides clean - again a labor of love. Did that to show off the barrel a little and do something a little different.
    I dropped a RRA two stage trigger with the JP spring package and am very satisfied with the two stage break. This was the first time I used the Magpul BAD lever and wish they were a little cheaper, but they are fun on a build or two. The smaller components are primarily Strike Industries parts. I just got in the Hera mag and haven't fed it in. The OD green colors look closer in person.
    Speaking about the color. I coated the components myself using the Alumahyde II OD Green from Brownells. Took some find tuning to get a process down.
    Ultimately, I found heating the components past 200F and then painting produced the most uniform coating, then baked at 350. Like most will agree, prep work is where you should spend most of your time. I will agree that it's not that tough a coating, but good enough for me. Like the fact that I can tough any spot up within a minute. Can't compare it to GunKote/Cerakote in terms of durability.
    As you can see there's no scope. Took my Vortex 1-8x off to put on another rifle, but the Bobro mount will stay on this. Very impressed with Bobro's manufacturing; snagged a used unit off feeBay and while other mounts are more than sufficient, there is a noticeable difference in terms of quality. If you've read this far, my apologies.

View attachment 65129
    View attachment 65130

View attachment 65131
    View attachment 65132 View attachment 65133

Nice build, i did the color combo! And yes forward grips are needed if shooting much, I had a troy rail and it got too hot to handle in three quick mag releases. Shew!

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Wanted to show an old build I did which was my first. Was helped by a knowledgeable Tennessee gentleman who was a gun nut.
    The Centurion arms handguards are impressive to say the least. Highly recommend them. Most fun part about this rifle is the Franklin Binary (GenI) trigger in this. Really nice for back to back shots. Even shooting one round pulling back, the trigger is has a good break; heavy (6lbs+) but with no creep. Took about an hour to install it due to the manual filing to get it to fit into the Sharps Bro's receiver. The new Binary triggers systems seems to have solved that issue. Paired it will a strong buffer spring and light TiN BCG to reduce the chance of outrunning the bolt. Before I changed the setup I could outrun it. I haven't been able to yet after a couple hundred rounds of shooting with the setup now in it, but I certainly don't have a class III trigger finger. I've had the fostech echo triggers and they worked as advertised. The people at Fostech are outstanding folks on a side note.
    And yes, I believe I do have the Centurion CMR tang backwards...like it better as is to help pull the rifle into my shoulder on the 'fun' switch.

IMG_E1363.jpg IMG_E1360.jpg IMG_1364.jpg

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Wanted to show an old build I did which was my first. Was helped by a knowledgeable Tennessee gentleman who was a gun nut.
    The Centurion arms handguards are impressive to say the least. Highly recommend them. Most fun part about this rifle is the Franklin Binary (GenI) trigger in this. Really nice for back to back shots. Even shooting one round pulling back, the trigger is has a good break; heavy (6lbs+) but with no creep. Took about an hour to install it due to the manual filing to get it to fit into the Sharps Bro's receiver. The new Binary triggers systems seems to have solved that issue. Paired it will a strong buffer spring and light TiN BCG to reduce the chance of outrunning the bolt. Before I changed the setup I could outrun it. I haven't been able to yet after a couple hundred rounds of shooting with the setup now in it, but I certainly don't have a class III trigger finger. I've had the fostech echo triggers and they worked as advertised. The people at Fostech are outstanding folks on a side note.
    And yes, I believe I do have the Centurion CMR tang backwards...like it better as is to help pull the rifle into my shoulder on the 'fun' switch.

View attachment 65240 View attachment 65241 View attachment 65242

Love the CMR rail. Always have been a big fan, and it sets your build off nice!

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I decided to build a new Ar in 9mm as a tribute to my fallen Brothers, Lt. Allan and Dep. Pickett
    R2xNEw2.jpg

Last edited:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    IMG_5597.JPG

My PSA build from a couple of years ago. C/L CHF FN barreled upper, PSA blem lower, full auto BCG. Added a Magpul grip, Gunfighter charging handle and Nikon P223 3X32 optic. Built to last.

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Hey Daddyusmaximus, what are the components between the lower receiver buffer tube threads and the tube? Can you post another pic showing that section of your AR?

ibwaltb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Fishers
    Looks like a quality component piece. How well do you like it? Is it as advertised? .... really like your 300BLK setup. Well done!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    It's a great piece of equipment, and it works well. Check out some youtube videos on it. (before they get rid of them all) If you travel or need to store it in a small bag it comes in handy. It would work better on a pistol lower, because being a SBR kinda limits me traveling with it (out of state) unless I fill out the federal permission slip in advance.

Stupid unconstitutional laws... Planing on a pistol lower soon. Won't be quite as good, but better than nothing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom