• ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I have been having some issues with colt style magazines for my 9mm AR-15 SBR. I am hoping that someone here on INGO might be able to explain the why’s and wherefores’ of my issues.

I have experimented with three different manufacturers: Brownell’s, ProMag and ASC. My experiences have been as follows.

ASC is a metal mag with an orange plastic follower. It tends to be difficult to seat unless the bolt is locked back. It also tends to fail to feed the last couple of rounds. It will not hold the bolt back when the last round is fired. This holds true with both their 32 round and 10 round magazines (although the 10 round magazine is less likely to not feed all of the rounds in the magazine). The magazines are a relatively tight fit, not as sticky as the ProMag, but more so than the Brownell’s.

ProMag is also a metal mag with a black plastic follower. When empty, the follower sits much higher than either the ASC or Brownell’s magazines. Thus, when the last round is fired and ejected, the bolt does not lock open, but slams forward, striking the follower and begins to gouge large chunks out of it. This happens on both the 32 round and 10 round versions of the magazine. The magazines are a tight fit and require some effort to insert and remove.

Brownell’s works flawlessly, but they only make a 32 round mag, and I would like to find a 10 round mag to use when I shoot from the prone position. Their magazine is an all metal construction (including the follower). It seats into the magwell easily and holds the bolt open after the last round is fired. Magazines are easily inserted and removed from the magwell.

My primary question has to do with the bolt holdback feature. I do not see any significant differences between the Brownell’s and ASC magazines, but then I am not sure exactly how the bolt hold back is triggered when the last round is fired, so I am not sure what I should be looking for.

The SBR uses a Bushmaster receiver with a Hahn Precision top loading 9mm magwell adapter. The Upper is all CMMG

Has anyone else used ASC and/or ProMag magazines and experienced similar problems? I am thinking of trying out the AR-Stoner and Metalform 10 round magazines and see if I have any luck with them.

IMG_20161117_140613738_HDR.jpg
    This image (left to right) shows the Brownell's, ASC and ProMag 32 round magazine followers. As you can see, the ProMag sits noticeably higher and is already starting to show damage from the bolt.

IMG_20161117_140657760_HDR.jpg

This image shows two Promag 10 round magazines and the damage the bolt causes to the follower. The one on the right is severe.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    promag always has a bad rap.
    the orange followers look like re-branded cproducts which were junk

metalform is the way to go.

I've heard MF 20's were solid, been meaning to try some. Never heard of a reliable 10 rounder.

-rvb

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I used the same combination of a SBR lower, Hahn top block, CMMG upper and ASC mags while waiting for my 9mm SBR paperwork to be approved. It would not lock back on an empty mag, because I was using the standard AR bolt catch, not the longer 9mm one.

The ASC's that I have were always hard to seat when new, with the Hahn block. I found leaving them loaded for a week or so helped.

I have thousands of rounds through my ASC mags with my 9mm SBR with maybe a small handful of failure to feeds.

As for Promag-I have never had anything Promag that was worth a damn.

Never used the Brownells mags.

I will say that the with the Hahn block, I found that the seating the mags were harder than using the dedicated lower.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I used the same combination of a SBR lower, Hahn top block, CMMG upper and ASC mags while waiting for my 9mm SBR paperwork to be approved. It would not lock back on an empty mag, because I was using the standard AR bolt catch, not the longer 9mm one.

Thanks for pointing this out. I did not know that there was a difference. I will look into that. Thanks!

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Thanks for pointing this out. I did not know that there was a difference. I will look into that. Thanks!

You are welcome..the 9mm one looks like this-

p_160308101_2.jpg

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I use nothing but ASC and I have hand nothing but excellent results from the 32, 20, 15 and 10 rounders.

The 10 round is nice when shooting from bags, trying to zero an optic.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If it's a Colt pattern 9mm AR, buy COLT mags first, Metalform second, and COLT mags third. Who am I kidding, if it takes Colt pattern mags, buy COLT mags. Have no experience with any other platform 9mm wise, but my 6450 doesn't hiccup with factory mags.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If it's a Colt pattern 9mm AR, buy COLT mags first, Metalform second, and COLT mags third. Who am I kidding, if it takes Colt pattern mags, buy COLT mags. Have no experience with any other platform 9mm wise, but my 6450 doesn't hiccup with factory mags.

Colt used c-products for a while... Pony isn't everything. You want Metalform mags, with or without the pony baseplate.
    -rvb

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Colt used c-products for a while... Pony isn't everything. You want Metalform mags, with or without the pony baseplate.
    -rvb
    Guess I've got all metalform, out of 30 mags, never a mag related fault. Broke a bolt once, didn't work good after that, but no mag failures. Oh, I've also got a bunch of converted UZI mags I love, they just don't hold open the bolt after the last round.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Thank you ROLEXRiflemanand Dog1! That does not look anything like the bolt catch on my rifle. Looking forward to getting the proper catch installed and getting back on track.

I will add that aside from my mag issues, the rifle has been a joy to fire. Thanks guys!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    ah, so the Hahn block doesn't have a built in BHO? didn't know that. my Colt block has one built into the block, so it works w/ the std bolt catch. learned something new today.

-rvb

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    ah, so the Hahn block doesn't have a built in BHO? didn't know that. my Colt block has one built into the block, so it works w/ the std bolt catch. learned something new today.

-rvb

No...there is no way they could have one. It does has the proper 9mm ejector.

While I was waiting for the paperwork to clear on my 9mm SBR, I was using the same Hahn top loading block on one of my other SBR's. I could have changed out the bolt catch for the proper one, but then I could not use it with the 5.56 upper.

So I lived with not having a bolt hold on the 9mm for the 4 months it took to get the 9mm lower approved.

Top Bottom