melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Lots of people have iPods.

Lots of people have rifles.

Lots of people like to shoot tiny targets at long ranges.

So some creative software developers have come up with a flight path generator for the iPod that will help you compensate for windspeed affecting your bullets flight if you know the range of the shot you are taking.

So while this software looks like a handy tool for serious shooters, its a damn shame that the authors of the articles need to push a biased agenda.

Sniper rifle software launched for iPod touch
    New BulletFlight program could be a 'killer' app for Apple

Sniper rifle software launched for iPod touch - Telegraph

sniper_1242825c.jpg

Last Updated: 3:19PM GMT 20 Jan 2009

BulletFlight is a new application has been launched for the iPod touch to help gun users line up a clean shot at their target

A new application has been launched for the iPod touch to help gun users line up a clean shot at their target.

The BulletFlight app, which costs £6.99 to download from the iTunes store, has been developed by Runaway App to turn the iPod touch into a ballistics computer which the company says can provide “quick solutions in the field”.

Users can mount their iPod touch to their rifle, and then use the iPod’s touch-screen to tap in details about the wind conditions, ammunition type, distance to the intended target and even the wind speed.

“Unlike other apps, BulletFlight does not output information in table format,” says the application’s iTunes page. “What it does do is dynamically give you the solution you need now to take that shot.”

The application features built-in profiles for three weapons – the M110 semi-automatic precision rifle, the KAC PDW, and the 14.5in SR16 rifle – although users can add more weapons into the app.

“Environmental calculations are based on the Sierra Bullet model,” says the BulletFlight iTunes entry. “Up to five ballistic co-efficients with corresponding velocity thresholds may be used for each profile.”​

Now from Australia is an Anti-Gun version of the story. Notice the inflammatory and obviously biased title? No animosity here in the land of OZ? How about the end of the article where they talk about the kids? The author of this article seems like a really narrow minded person who can't manage an original thought.

iPhone sniper app released on day of Obama inauguration
    iPhone sniper app released on day of Obama inauguration

David Flynn21 January 2009, 11:17 AM (2 hours 34 minutes ago.)
    In a poor-taste coincidence, a sophisticated "sniper" app for iPhone has been released on the day of Barack Obama's inauguration.

President Bush had to declare a state of emergency in Washington, D.C., for Barack Obama's inauguration, because the state's police force wouldn't have been enough to protect the incoming landmark president from the millions of people flooding into the US capital. The state of emergency allowed federal funds to be used to mobilise troops and federal agencies, at a cost of $US110 million, according to reports.

So as an aspiring iPhone developer, what's a good way to cash in on all this hoopla? Of course -- it's to release your uber-realistic sniper app on the day of Obama's inauguration. Poor taste, indeed.

This app is not a game -- it's a fully functional app that a real sniper could attach to their piece and have all the maths done for them -- complex ballistics variables such as the type of ammunition in their M110 semi-automatic, the distance to the soon-to-be-perforated plus prevailing wind direction and speed, temperature, humidity and current air pressure.

Put simply, there’s now an iPhone app that takes care of the trigonometry so that all you need to do is press the trigger. Apple has approved the app for general consumption by the public -- presumably the gadget giant forgot to write a rule into its developer contract that outlaws realistic weapon applications -- but it hardly fits into Apple's 'family friendly' image. Nor, presumably, is Apple Public Relations looking forward to the day a disturbed kid gets their hand on a sniper gun, starts shooting his schoolmates from on top of the school gymnasium, and is found to have used the iPhone app for it.​

And finally, a snarky geek from C|Net takes a pot shot at the program.

Hey, a new iPod touch app for your, um, gun | Technically Incorrect - CNET News
    January 20, 2009 4:51 PM PST
    Hey, a new iPod touch app for your, um, gun
    Posted by Chris Matyszczyk

'Change you can believe in'. 'A new era of responsibility'. 'I will be a President who will do things that actually make sense'.

These were kinds of phrases lifting my spirits when I came across a new iPod touch application that made me feel I'd just walked into a very large road sign. You see, this new application is called BulletFlight. And it will help you, well, shoot things better.

You know, things like tin cans on a ledge. And partridges in a pear tree. And, well, I don't know, annoying varmints or neighbors, I suppose. Although I am telling you here and now that you shouldn't under any circumstances.

The BulletFlight seems to cost about as much as a few pencils and is downloadable from your friendly iTunes store.

Using BulletFlight requires simple maneuvering. You attach your iPod touch to your, say, sniper rifle, and tap in a few details about the wind, the moon and the stars. And the bullets, the range of the target and your blood pressure. (Well, maybe not the last one).

2274202900_2378eca93a.jpg

Make my day? Really?
    (Credit: CC Vasya Artemov)

It doesn't offer its results in a table format. Rather, according to BulletFlight's iTunes page, "it dynamically gives you the solution you need now to take that shot." Which I assume means it tells you exactly where to point your weapon for optimum destructive penetration: something akin to 'click four times to the left and it's raccoon for dinner'.

Or, in the manufacturer's own words: "When you provide a range to the target, the app will simply say how many clicks you need to change the scope by for that range and wind speed."

I know all of you keep guns around the house, so perhaps you'll be able to tell me if this sounds like an excellent way to spend $11.99.

Perhaps you'll also be able to tell me whether there is a way to attach my iPod touch to a golf club. I need to make my 5-iron just a little more accurate.​

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom