Apparently it is illegal to carry a firearm in vigo county!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    This evening I was lucky enough to have a mildly heated discussion (him not me) with someone about whether it was legal to carry a gun in any public place in Vigo County. I was even asked if I wanted him to call the cops and spend a night in jail in order to test it out.

The whole situation was laughable. I respectfully argued why he was wrong, even if he did have a police officer family member. He kept coming up with more and more ways that the police would try to arrest me. Apparently peace officers take people to jail without cause and knowing they won't file charges on a regular basis.

All of this started because he saw someone OC at Texas Roadhouse, and I jokingly asked if a gunfight broke out. "No, but I could have called the police. It is illegal to carry a weapon in a public place."

I did learn that I "think I can do whatever I want." :dunno:

I hope I was right, otherwise I will apologize and thank him for not turning me in!

Last edited:

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I have carried at the texas roadhouse no problem before. In fact, I was there and carried on Wednesday. So, let me on behalf of the people of vigo county that carry, sorry you ran into a dumbbutt!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Ask him to cite the local ordinance and show that it predated the 1994 state preemption code.

It would certainly be news to me.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think its funny that just because someone remotely knows a cop, they think that they are some kind of authority on the law.

Last edited:

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

When I got my carry license, the really, really cute police officer who gave it to me said, and I (pretty much) quote...
    The Police Officer I'd Most Like to Frisk Me said:
    Open-carry isn't illegal in Indiana, so it is, in fact, legal.

HOWEVER!

If you open-carry and someone makes a man-with-a-gun call on you, we have to treat it just like any other man-with-a-gun call.

That means you spend your...and OUR... lunch break handcuffed in the back of the cruiser while we listen to them talk about how dangerous guns are and then try to explain that you weren't doing anything illegal.

You'll be released as soon as we can be reasonably sure we won't get another call as soon as you get out of the cruiser, but if we do get one, it's back in the back for you... again... and on with the same discussion for us... again.

Do us all a favor: Concealed-carry and be careful about it, Ok?

I try not to ignore Words of Wisdom.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hi

When I got my carry license, the really, really cute police officer who gave it to me said, and I (pretty much) quote...
    Open-carry isn't illegal in Indiana, so it is, in fact, legal.

HOWEVER!

If you open-carry and someone makes a man-with-a-gun call on you, we have to treat it just like any other man-with-a-gun call.

I did not see any wisdom from that so you are free to ignore them.:yesway:

I also fail to see any words of wisdom from this, except that this mentality is almost as dangerous as being anti gun.

MWG call is quickly resolved with producing your nice little pink card and verification. The lone time this happened with me I was not even disarmed while I stood next to the officer while he verified my license. Total time involved, 5 minutes and a great conversation with the local LEO.

Nothing to see here, carry on, move along.

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Things may be a little different in Bloomington: College campuses with a population that more than doubles the town's total population tend to be a little bit... ummm... overactive, liberal-thinking-wise.

I'm not going to OC anyhow, so it didn't matter to me. I'm hard pressed to figure out a way to put myself at the top of a felonious shooter's to-do list more efficiently than advertising that I'll shoot back if I'm able. :dunno:

(Hmmm... I seem to be unable to describe someone, technically, as a male donkey. Ah, well. Live and learn.)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Caller: Oh my God, I just saw a man with a gun on his hip!
    911 Operator: Was he doing anything suspicious?
    Caller: Yes! He had a gun on his hip!
    911: Was it in a holster?
    Caller: Yes! Right there out in the open on his hip!
    911: What was he doing at the time?
    Caller: Ordering a cheesburger!
    911 Operator: So, he was just ordering lunch, not robbing the cash register or anything?
    Caller: No, but was wearing a gun! Out in the open!
    911 Operator: Ma'am, 911 is for emergencies. There are several legitimate reasons a citizen could be carrying a gun. Call us back if he does something illegal.

This call is ficticious, but could someone please explain to me why it couldn't be handled this way, rather than by violating a citizen's rights by forcibly detaining him in his daily business because he was engaging in an activity that is not only legal, but specifically mentioned in the Constitution?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Hi

Things may be a little different in Bloomington: College campuses with a population that more than doubles the town's total population tend to be a little bit... ummm... overactive, liberal-thinking-wise.

I'm not going to OC anyhow, so it didn't matter to me. I'm hard pressed to figure out a way to put myself at the top of a felonious shooter's to-do list more efficiently than advertising that I'll shoot back if I'm able. :dunno:

(Hmmm... I seem to be unable to describe someone, technically, as a male donkey. Ah, well. Live and learn.)

Personal experience has shown that Bloomington doesn't care about OC any more than the other places I've lived. I'm not trying to brag, or convert you, just wanted to point out that the idea "Bloomington is less accepting of OC" is, arguably, a myth. Never had anything noteworthy happen, good or bad.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Caller: Oh my God, I just saw a man with a gun on his hip!
    911 Operator: Was he doing anything suspicious?
    Caller: Yes! He had a gun on his hip!
    911: Was it in a holster?
    Caller: Yes! Right there out in the open on his hip!
    911: What was he doing at the time?
    Caller: Ordering a cheesburger!
    911 Operator: So, he was just ordering lunch, not robbing the cash register or anything?
    Caller: No, but was wearing a gun! Out in the open!
    911 Operator: Ma'am, 911 is for emergencies. There are several legitimate reasons a citizen could be carrying a gun. Call us back if he does something illegal.

This call is ficticious, but could someone please explain to me why it couldn't be handled this way, rather than by violating a citizen's rights by forcibly detaining him in his daily business because he was engaging in an activity that is not only legal, but specifically mentioned in the Constitution?
    DING DING DING

We have a winner.

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Personal experience has shown that Bloomington doesn't care about OC any more than the other places I've lived. I'm not trying to brag, or convert you, just wanted to point out that the idea "Bloomington is less accepting of OC" is, arguably, a myth. Never had anything noteworthy happen, good or bad.

Your experience differs from mine in content and quality... and decibels, apparently... and all I was doing was talking about carrying a gun.

Ah, well. Maybe I just have to start hanging out someplace less volatile.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Next time when you're out with him, just carry (of course with your LTCH in your possession) and make a bet that he pays for dinner if the cops don't show up or don't arrest you :D.

You should get a free dinner out of it

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hi

What if she told you that even though you can carry, doesn't mean you should? She's a cop, so it must be wisdom right?:rolleyes:

Think for yourself!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hi

Guys, guys... you're missing Al's point here... he said this is the officer he'd most like to frisk him. Ergo, he WANTS to be detained and frisked repeatedly by this officer.

The fact is that if this happened to me more than once by the same cop, I would be politely and respectfully visiting the chief of police very soon thereafter. Open carry is lawful and is any and every law-abiding citizen's right. Personally, as I've said, I choose to carry concealed, but I see nothing wrong with carrying openly, either.

Al... I'm glad you found that cute police officer... and hopefully for your sake, he's not married. :lmfao:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom