App for police to track illegal gun owners.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

Saw this on the news this morning. App for police to determine if the person carrying is doing it legally. Seems a bit.... superfluous to me. They can't stop you for carrying. They are stopping for something that is illegal (or should be) and will be running your ID. That would tell them if you were a proper person or not..

Is this really necessary?

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Simply running someone's ID will not give you that information. It will give you BMV records and a few others (active warrants, POs, and if one has a current LTCH).
    I think the point is that the information channel is being established:

The creation of this was described as "needed" by some law enforcement officers before permitless carry "could" be practical. (Quotations not intended as literal.)

Certainly good that they didn't wait for all forms and manner of law enforcement before approval <-Not intended as a dig against the many pro 2A officers here and in the great state of Indiana.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I think the point is that the information channel is being established:

The creation of this was described as "needed" by some law enforcement officers before permitless carry "could" be practical. (Quotations not intended as literal.)

Certainly good that they didn't wait for all forms and manner of law enforcement before approval <-Not intended as a dig against the many pro 2A officers here and in the great state of Indiana.

My only point is simply running an ID doesn't give the amount of information most people think it does. It's being nit picky, I admit, but you would have to run a Triple I on someone to get a criminal history.

Lpherr

Occupied
    My only point is simply running an ID doesn't give the amount of information most people think it does. It's being nit picky, I admit, but you would have to run a Triple I on someone to get a criminal history.
    I think you're missing the point.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I take your point, but would that be the state of affairs after the implementation of the system described in the bill? Admittedly I haven't read it in its entirety.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Hey, I actually remember talking about this with some of the folks that helped get CC passed. This was part of the negotiation with opponents to address their concerns (and get enough votes to pass it). Previously, the various databases involved were available but had to be checked separately and took multiple steps. The app is supposed to just link those databases police can already access separately into a single front end.

Yes, seems redundant but there's some reason behind it.

Lpherr

Occupied
    We are heading toward digital ID. With that, they will set it up to be remote and access your information, before even approaching an individual.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So they want to create a database to look for a possible crime being or not being committed while being stopped for an infraction.
    :hooked:
    And everyone is ok with proving themselves innocent, for public safety of course.

Possessing a gun is not an indication a crime is being committed.
    But the possession of a gun by an improper person is a crime. That's my understanding of what this app is for.

Lpherr

Occupied
    But the possession of a gun by an improper person is a crime. That's my understanding of what this app is for.
    But they will not know if you're improper, without out stopping you.
    Is the plan to stop everyone with a firearm, to check if they are proper?
    What excuse do they plan to use, for stopping you?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No, I think if you're already stopped for something else, and they find a gun on you or in your vehicle, they can then use this app to see if you're a proper person. If you are, then the gun isn't an issue (assuming you didn't use it in the commission of a crime). Before constitutional carry, they could just check to see if you had a LTCH. Can't necessarily do that any longer.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Let’s hope that we’re beyond that bridge with past court decisions. But let’s say they stop you for running a stop sign and while checking your license and registration they notice a gun in the car. When they run your info and it came back flagged as a non-proper person, they’d now have reason to do something about you having that gun with you.

Top Bottom