• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Is any one seeing some higher grade shotguns coming back to the LGS around indy? I love a good shotgun and liked going and looking at them, but the shotguns on the shelves now is not what I like looking at.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes they do, up to $30,000.00 I hear and they have a lot of them.
    I saw them last time I was there.
    Proof that some people have more money than brains. Even if I had that kind of scratch, I still couldnt imagine dropping that on a shotgun.

Edit: OK, maybe if it was owned by somebody famous like Elvis, John Dillinger, etc. But just for some gold inlay and handmade craftsmanship? Nope.

Reactions: wcd

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am not in the buying just the looking at good shotguns. I like looking at high grade engraved shotguns and dream of some day coming into one of them. My shotguns all cost $200 or less, most have rabbit ears and were built in the 1930's and 40's and bought used in the 1950's and 60's. My newest is a Stevens double built around 1947-49 probably killed 1000's of rabbits and tree rats

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Proof that some people have more money than brains. Even if I had that kind of scratch, I still couldnt imagine dropping that on a shotgun.

Edit: OK, maybe if it was owned by somebody famous like Elvis, John Dillinger, etc. But just for some gold inlay and handmade craftsmanship? Nope.
    When you get into that price range you are looking at it as an investment not a tool.

I myself can't justify it but it is like any other firearm...there is always resale taken into consideration.

The main difference is they aren't making anymore of the $30k guns so it is not like a Glock...if you buy them right they will never lose value.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    When you get into that price range you are looking at it as an investment not a tool.

I myself can't justify it but it is like any other firearm...there is always resale taken into consideration.

The main difference is they aren't making anymore of the $30k guns so it is not like a Glock...if you buy them right they will never lose value.

There are several gunmakers in Italy making high end shotguns.

My old shotgun works just fine.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side

When you get into that price range, you are talking about an amazing hand built gun fit exactly to you, your body and your shooting style. I can’t justify one, but I’ve got a couple books on the building of a quality double gun and you can easily see the costs involved in them.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    O the OP’s question, I stopped by the new Sportsman’s Warehouse down on 31 and they had some ‘nicer’ semi autos. Not fancy O/U’s or SxS’s but I saw a few in the 1000+ range.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I am old school and like walnut and blue steel shotguns. I recently traded for a 870 wingmaster 12 ga trap grade 1970 ish just because I always wanted one in the early days when I could not justify it. I probably will never shoot it, my shoulder would not like it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    High grade over and under pre pandemic we’re selling for under value compaired to blue book value. It seems many were being sold off for newer tactical items. More limited market with less shooting trap and clays and fewer h7nting in the old English standard for birds with dogs.

who knows now. What I think is junk sells like high end.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

Concur 100%.
    When it comes to weapons, I am of the "function over form" mindset.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    $1000-$2000 guns to many competition clays shooters is considered "entry level". Many many competition clay shooters regularly shoot their high end shotguns and put thousands of rounds through them yearly.
    The higher end stuff are purpose built to handle higher volume shooting than off the rack field grade shotguns. And many can be easily serviced or come with the ability to get yearly "tune ups" to keep them in like new operating condition. Plus most have very intricate engraving/scroll work or hand selected wood for their stocks.
    It's an investment for sure but not usually safe queens

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The premium stuff keeps going up, and that takes the used premium stuff with it. If you are a little careful about buying used shotguns, you never loose. When a Beretta Gold (the more "e" and "L" after the model the better) was about $3400, picking up a used one for about $2500 is money in the bank. Shoot it for a few years and sell it for a profit. Guns like Kreighoff, Perazzi, Caeser Guerini are high resale. People with money, Always have money for their wants.

www.joeletchenguns.com/premium-guns. Joel was a National Champion in his day and the shop has lots of upper guns. The website has good photos of both new and used. Good people to buy and trade with. Indian gun club treated me well also.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I am old school and like walnut and blue steel shotguns. I recently traded for a 870 wingmaster 12 ga trap grade 1970 ish just because I always wanted one in the early days when I could not justify it. I probably will never shoot it, my shoulder would not like it.
    Picked up an old Model 32 Remington O/U skeet gun a few months ago and gave it some exercise over the summer on the range at Atterbury. I removed the 50 year old recoil pad and installed a Kick-eez recoil pad, made a huge difference.
    I would still like to find an 870 All American trap gun, mainly because I spent hundreds of Sundays with my uncle, making me and everyone else look bad (shooting an 870 All American)

Top Bottom