Anyone reloading the 35 Remington for Indiana deer legal ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Wondering if anyone has been loading to printed load data with the 35 Remington case cut down to deer legal specs for Indiana. Are you using the printed data or lowering the powder charge with the slightly lower case length ?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Here is the version I have been using for a few years now since case length went to 1.8". It is a 30-40 Krag case that has been cut down, resized in a 35 Remington full length die, trimmed to final length and then loaded with a starting load and heavy cast pistol bullet to fireform. I then load it with a Hornady 180gr SSP-SP bullet over a load of Leverevolution. I shoot it in a 16" T/C Contender.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    I've been loading the 35 with short neck for about 3 years. I use the printed load data. Only the neck is short, if you use the listed 'overall length' then you are not reducing the case powder capacity. If you crimp, stick to the 'OAL' , don't try to crimp in the cannelure of the bullet.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Sorry missed them....

So your loading standard data but keeping overall length the same ? Any issue with not having the rim of the brass on the cannelure.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Here is the version I have been using for a few years now since case length went to 1.8". It is a 30-40 Krag case that has been cut down, resized in a 35 Remington full length die, trimmed to final length and then loaded with a starting load and heavy cast pistol bullet to fireform. I then load it with a Hornady 180gr SSP-SP bullet over a load of Leverevolution. I shoot it in a 16" T/C Contender.

I have no experience on this one, but I'm interested in the process. Curious why this method would be preferred over simply trimming down a .35 case and shooting it out of a .35 Rem gun?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The rim gives a positive headspace in the barrel of my Contender and is easier to handle when loading and unloading. I also happened to have the brass laying around. I like rimmed cartridges in my single shots. I am making 300 Whispers with 360 Dan Wesson brass currently, because the shoulder on them is almost non existent and my Encore likes to push them into the chamber setting the shoulder back rather than fire them. The first thing I do when getting a new Encore or Contender barrel is have it cut for a rim from a suitable donor case. They can still use the rimless ammo even with the rim cut.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Bstewrat3, Thanks for that bit of information. I currently have a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington but am looking into getting a 10 or 12 inch 35 Remington barrel made up for my Encore. I see what your talking about with rimmed cases in a Encore...

I'm guessing you have had good success with your 180 grain load, do you think the 200 grain Leverevolution load is over kill for deer here in Indiana ? Have you played with any 158 grain loads ?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am very happy with the 180gr load and was fortunate enough to get my hands on a couple hundred bullets last time Hornady made a run of them. I don't think the 200gr Leverevolution is overkill. The 35 Remington overall is a pretty modest round that does it's job well. I mess with so many other rounds that once I found a good load for my 35 Rem I have left it alone. I shoot a 3 round group before season to check my zero and then only fire when the deer give me then opportunity. I took less than 10 shots total this season.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm kinda thinking the Encore 35 Remington pistol with a 110 grain JHP load might be fun on Prairie Dogs but not sure yet... I definitely haven't seen any published data for it as of yet...

Thanks for your reply, I have some 35 200 grain FTX bullets and some sierra flat nose 200 grain stuff to try out plus the 180 grain solids and HP so I'll be trying some different loads to see what the Marlin likes...

Top Bottom