Anyone read Russian/Bulgarian/Romanian? (AK74 magazine art)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I have an Izzy plum AK74 magazine with words (name?) etched in and I'm curious what it says.

20141201_214657.jpg

20141201_214754.jpg

Last edited:

Adee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2012
    I can tell you, what you have there is not Romanian. The Romanian alphabet does not have the backwards N.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok, here's what it looks like in Cyrillic alphabet. (I know Kirk reads Russian, too, and a couple others around here, too.)

In the top pic:
    МИМ ОБИЧАМ ТЕ
    Transliterated (sounded out):
    MIM OBICHAM TE

In the bottom one:
    МИМА (squiggle) Д ВИЩО
    Transliterated (sounded out):
    MIMA D VISHTO

Google translate says the top is Bulgarian for "MIM loves you." Google thinks the second one is Bulgarian, too, but can't translate it.

Edit:
    Took another look at the second one, and I think it is:
    ВИЩОВ
    VISHTOV

Which doesn't really help, except that it could be name. There's also a kinda random "D" next to the "V"/"B" at the bottom. No idea what that could mean. Also, a bit of explanation - in the second one, I'm assuming the "g" looking letter is a handwritten "d." At least in Russian, that's how you write a lower case "d." Could be different in Bulgarian.

Last edited:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Google translate says the top is Bulgarian for "MIM loves you." Google thinks the second one is Bulgarian, too, but can't translate it.

Thanks. I tried Google but I don't know know the Cyrillic alphabet well enough. Maybe MIMA was the rifleman's gf/wife? That would make sense if the 1 side says, I love MIM (nickname?) and her name on the other side.

UPDATE: I asked Rob Ski from AK Operators Union, Local 47-74 about it and he said it is definitely not Russian, probably Bulgarian or Serbian.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I'm 99% sure it is Bulgarian. I googled MIM, and, unfortunately, it has a bunch of uses in Bulgarian, but none of them seemed very relevant.

One observation - MIM in the top one could be the same MIM in the second one. In Russian (and I suspect Bulgarian), adding an A on the end of something is a way to show it is the "object" of something else (genitive case, for those playing along at home). Plus, the "d" letter can be a preposition (with a bunch of different meanings, depending on context). That's a long way around to say that MIM might be some colloquial term for The Man or Upstairs or Kilroy, so it is used in different ways.

Edit: I edited my first post with a bit more info.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Any chance the plum was from the recent batch Circle 10 had on Black Friday special? I bought a few and one had some writing in white paint on the baseplate.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Post it on ar15.com, there will be more then likely someone who speaks the language natively and can translate it for you.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Think that is Bulgarian. Makes no sense in Russian or White Russian (unless slang I am unfamiliar with).

Trying to think of anagrams in Old Church Slavonic as I know Bulgarian Orthodox uses OCS at services.

Mima means Auntie in Yiddish. So . . . hmmm. We'll crack this code!:D

walldj45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    I responded on ar15.com, Here is my post:

It's Bulgarian, the horizontal photo says Mime, (Pronounced Mee may) I love you.

Mime is a nickname for a girl named Maria.

I can't make out the letters in the second photo, If you could post another I can help. The beginning says Mima, a different form of the nickname for Maria, If you care I can explain the difference in Mime/Mima.

ETA:I lived in Bulgaria for two years and would LOVE a Bulgarian souvenir. Let me know if you decide to sell it.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I put the magazine on the flat bed scanner to get better pictures. Thanks for the translation help. So Mime and Mima are the same girl?

I just got the magazine (and 3 others) as part of the Circle 10 Black Friday sale and the free spam can pillow. I would love to find a magazine with Arabic on it since I was an Arabic Linguist.

izzy1.jpg
    izzy2.jpg

walldj45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Yes, they're the same girl. I responded on AR15.com, I'd paste it here but I'm on my phone.

Mime is the vocative form of the name. Like the form you'd yell with or get someone's attention. Or in this case tell her how much you love her. Mima is just the nickname for Maria. I can ask a Bulgarian to be sure if you'd like. The other word in the second photo is a small town on the Danube river, on the Romanian border. The solider or his girlfriend was probably from there.

Here's the original in Cyrillic and how you'd pronounce it:

Миме! Обичам те! (Mee-may! Oh-beech-um Tay!)

Мима, свищов. (Mee-muh, svee-shtov)

Top Bottom