• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Okay all I have been reloading for a while. Mostly 9mm. Anyways I just started reloading .45acp for my springfeild micro 1911 and am really struggling getting my dies set right (mainly the seat and crimp die) having issues with the rounds not wanting to chamber all the way (a little to big I guess) At this point I think I have had the dies about every way I know how and I am about to have a maturity break down. I guess what I am hoping is that someone local might be able to help me? I am on the NW side of Fort Wayne, and am more then happy to pick up a pizza and beer/pop if it is in the evening and I am messing up your normal schedule. I am sure it is something simply I just can't figure it out and I am tired of pulling bullet heads back off.
    Shoot me a PM if you think you might be able to help.
    Thanks alot,
    Matt

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Assuming you've got a gun that feeds factory ammo correctly. It does, right?

Check your finished cartridge dimensions with a caliper. One of the most important dimensions is case mouth diameter, OAL (overall length) is also pretty important, but the cartridge headspaces on the mouth, so that's probably most important.

You should be able to check the OAL in your loading manual or powder/bullet manufacturer's info.

Here is a decent page on the cartridge mil-spec sizes, the case-mouth measurement won't change.

Hopefully, your press will allow you to keep the seating and crimp dies set when you switch between calibers a la the Dillon 550b. Otherwise, you'll have a devil of a time setting this every time you set up for .45ACP.

Hope this helps.

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Assuming you've got a gun that feeds factory ammo correctly. It does, right?

Check your finished cartridge dimensions with a caliper. One of the most important dimensions is case mouth diameter, OAL (overall length) is also pretty important, but the cartridge headspaces on the mouth, so that's probably most important.

You should be able to check the OAL in your loading manual or powder/bullet manufacturer's info.

Here is a decent page on the cartridge mil-spec sizes, the case-mouth measurement won't change.

Hopefully, your press will allow you to keep the seating and crimp dies set when you switch between calibers a la the Dillon 550b. Otherwise, you'll have a devil of a time setting this every time you set up for .45ACP.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. My gun will feed factory loads. I will check the link you gave and see what I can come up with.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Top Bottom