Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do they work well?
    How far can they be run?
    Are there dogs that will take the shock to get past the fence?

I am contemplating an invisible fence, but don't want to waste my money.
    Are they worth the price?

Thanks for any insight.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    We tried the wireless type. It had a good circumference, probable 90/100 ' diameter. Followed all directions, Our lab mix never seemed to feel the "bite"...gave up after a month or so.

Our neighbors back in VA, had a cairn terrier...dog went through their wired elec fence every time my bitch went into heat...he'd yelp and crybut it never seemed to affect his performance

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Do they work well?
    How far can they be run?

Thanks for any insight.
    How big is your yard?

Look at Halo or SpotOn collars. Much more versatile.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I’ve had a pet stop fence for 25 years. covers about an acre. I’ve trained several dogs over the years on it 8 labs, 1 beagle, 1 doodle and 1 dachshund. Mine and my kids (who like to bring their dogs over). Was/is a great investment. Bought a sport dog collar at Menards for a little lake place we have. Put flags out and used audible remote to train them there. Worked great. They believed/ believe it has a fence too. it was a great investment too.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I’ve had a pet stop fence for 25 years. covers about an acre. I’ve trained several dogs over the years on it 8 labs, 1 beagle, 1 doodle and 1 dachshund. Mine and my kids (who like to bring their dogs over). Was/is a great investment. Bought a sport dog collar at Menards for a little lake place we have. Put flags out and used audible remote to train them there. Worked great. They believed/ believe it has a fence too. it was a great investment too.
    We had 2 inside about a 2 acre yard. They were trained b4 I inherited them, but I understand the shepherd mix had to have the collar set on stupid to keep him in.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Had one for a lab-german shepard mix. It was the more expensive PetSafe brand that had adjustable shock levels and beeping to warn the dog of boundary approach. Worked real well despite being a little hellion when he was a pup. Tried to train him with the flags but got no where and said ok, we will just let you learn the hard way and let him get zapped hard a couple times. Eventually it did train him to stay in the yard to the point where he didn't need the collar much for years after installing.

We installed in with an edge trimmer pushing itto the ground with flat wooden sticks. That took a lot of time. Went though the driveway by wire laid in expansion slot with silicone caulk.

We did have a fairly close (loud) lightning strike and the unit stopped working. Got replacement with the lightning protection option after that.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Had an underground wire fence at the old place. It took a long time but was effective. When we bought the new place we went with SpotOn collars. Expensive and need charged nightly but have worked well. If the shape of our lot would have worked for a regular wireless fence, we would have went that way

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Do they work well?
    How far can they be run?

Thanks for any insight.
    I have a halo collar for my dog. It uses GPS to control the area he can roam. You can have multiple maps to support multiple locations, but they can't overlap. With the app you can see exactly where the dog is. About 600 for the collar plus 5 per month for service. I looked at wired fences and they were over 2k for my lot.
    The only negative is the collar has to be charged nightly.
    Pm if you want more info. I also may be able to give a referral discount (depends on what Halo is doing at the time)
    Rick

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We have had the presage wireless now for almost 15 years. Train them to it and you’re golden. In ground wired systems in the north have a habit of breaking with the freeze/thaw and then you have to dig it up to find the break.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The daughter has one.

A couple of the dogs are pretty gentle, they stay inside. If they get close and feel the first shock, they quickly cove closer to the house. She also has a large aggressive dog that will growl and bark through the shock and get out. He has learned to start baking and run full speed through the shock area to minimize the time getting shocked.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The daughter has one.

A couple of the dogs are pretty gentle, they stay inside. If they get close and feel the first shock, they quickly cove closer to the house. She also has a large aggressive dog that will growl and bark through the shock and get out. He has learned to start baking and run full speed through the shock area to minimize the time getting shocked.
    That’s what’s nice about our wireless. The “shock zone” is much wider. There’s also different setting in the collar. One of ours needed the beep only. One needed it on the highest setting.

Reactions: Leo

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Neighbor had a BIGGER than usual chocolate Lab. He would "escape" when motivated and then sit in our yard and cry because he did not want to get shocked going back into his yard. :):

Gonna depending on dog's personality.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    We had three german shepards when we started (one got old and died). 2.5 acres. Invisible Fence brand. Laci, the mom learned very quickly and had never been am issue. Remington, her son is my constant companion and shadow if I am home. He needed the installers to set it to the highest setting. He is usally very good about the line. Biggest issue is if I go to a neighbors and he thinks he has been away form me too long he powers throught the hit just to be next to me. We did look at the GPS/GEO/Sattelite style but we have a pond and were told those recievers were not waterproof not not an option for us.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I’ve had an invisible fence brand for 7 years now and they work great. They are more expensive but worth the cost in my opinion. Lots of accessories to compliment the collar too. Batteries for mine last about 4-6 months. I know some last closer to 3 though.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Gonna depending on dog's personality.
    This right here.
    Only my golden would stay put, most of the time, but it would go thru it too if a squirrel would get within 'I think I can get this one' range. Newfoundland mix wasn't even phased if it wanted whatever showed up on the other side of the boundary. Retriever mix was kind of in between the other two but squirrels n cats were also too tempting for it.
    Just depends if the wildlife/deer/squirrels/kids/other dogs/random plastic bag blowing in the wind off in the distance, lol, are more intriguing to your dog than getting zapped.

And I always seemed to be replacing batteries in the collar.

Top Bottom