• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have two chocolate labs... sisters... that just turned 12. We noticed increased drinking with Zoey. She wanted to drink like a fish, had no appetite and was dropping weight. They just had their annual vet visit a month and a half ago. Weighed 90 pounds. When we took her in Thursday, she was down 18 pounds. Vet did bloodwork and her sugar was 450+. He put her in insulin twice a day. She still doesn’t want to eat, but drinks water. She has been eating a bit here and there, but not like she normally would. She has had insulin twice yesterday. Been checking her glucose numbers and it was down to 57 this morning and has made its way back up to 89. Is this normal? Will her appetite come back? We are planning on taking her back to the vet in the morning to see what the next step is.

And her sister Stella is the picture of health and eats anything you put in front of her. Weird.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have two chocolate labs... sisters... that just turned 12. We noticed increased drinking with Zoey. She wanted to drink like a fish, had no appetite and was dropping weight. They just had their annual vet visit a month and a half ago. Weighed 90 pounds. When we took her in Thursday, she was down 18 pounds. Vet did bloodwork and her sugar was 450+. He put her in insulin twice a day. She still doesn’t want to eat, but drinks water. She has been eating a bit here and there, but not like she normally would. She has had insulin twice yesterday. Been checking her glucose numbers and it was down to 57 this morning and has made its way back up to 89. Is this normal? Will her appetite come back? We are planning on taking her back to the vet in the morning to see what the next step is.

And her sister Stella is the picture of health and eats anything you put in front of her. Weird.
    No, we think one of our 2 cats may be.. he's got a vet appointment the 30th.. he will literally drink 3 bowls of water a day.. excessive thirst is a big red flag with cats and dogs.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We had a miniature pinscher that had diabetes and we had to give her one shot per day. It helped for awhile but unfortunately her kidneys eventually shut down and she passed. Sorry to hear you're going through this Doc. I hope you're able to get it under control with help from your vet.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I think it depends alot on what type of diabetes it is and how long it's went unchecked. I know they make cat foods formulated for cats with diabetes, I can only assume they would for doggies also

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think it depends alot on what type of diabetes it is and how long it's went unchecked. I know they make cat foods formulated for cats with diabetes, I can only assume they would for doggies also

Yep, ours had a special food that we had to give her, plus portion control with her regular food. We had 2 other dogs at the time and we usually "open fed" dry food, so keeping them separate was a bit of a challenge, but we managed it.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Yep, ours had a special food that we had to give her, plus portion control with her regular food. We had 2 other dogs at the time and we usually "open fed" dry food, so keeping them separate was a bit of a challenge, but we managed it.
    Yeah, suck when pets get sick.. they are family so it's worth doing what we need to keep them healthy and happy

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    My 13yo yellow Lab has been diabetic for 7 years. She is 80lbs and gets 18 units of Novalin N insulin twice daily and I feed her regular Science Diet Adult Light dog food...NOT the overpriced specialty food the vet sells. The insulin is only $25 bucks at Wal-mart. A lot of vets will try prescribe Vetsulin or some other pet specific insulin that is way more expensive and usually not needed, or even the best for your dog. I highly recommend a Facebook group called Canine Diabetes support forum and the people on there a great help. I don't know your vet but unfortunately there are so many of them that are not really up on treating diabetes. My first vet nearly killed my dog because he had no clue what he was doing but wouldn't admit it. It is very important, especially early on to get the blood sugar regulated as best as possible. My dog went mostly blind from cataracts within 6 months of being diagnosed which is a real threat with diabetic dogs. It is extremely important to get a blood sugar tester for pets such as one made by AlphaTrak so you can test and keep track of the sugar level at home. You can't take your dog to the vet twice a day to have them checked. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm not a veterinarian but I know quite a bit about treating canine diabetes. BTW, dogs ONLY get type 1 insulin dependent diabetes, not type 2 that can be diet controlled.

EDIT: I didn't read the OP close enough. Obviously you are already testing at home. And yes, it is normal for the BG level to fluctuate through the day and from day to day. Activity level can have an effect on it.

Last edited:

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    My dog was diabetic 120lbs Rottweiler found out three years ago. He was drinking excessive amounts of water frequently having to urinate and not eating. When we took him to the vet his sugar was in the 500s. Thought we were going to have to put him down when we where told how much the insulin was going to cost.

The insulin was $300+/vial through the vet, around $160/vial from Meijer but only $24.95! At Wal-Mart. He needed 34 units twice a day he was 7 when diagnosed and lived to 10 this Jan. It was an adventure somedays he wouldn't eat somedays he would.

I couldn't ever take his blood sugar he didn't like it wouldn't let me. At first he didn't mind the injections but after a few months we had to start using a muzzle that made it real fun.

Also once he went low we didn't know what was happening he acted like he was blind and running in to the walls, if that ever happens rub honey on their gums.

I hope you have a better experience then we did, it wasn't that bad but I hope I never have to do it again. Couple other things you have to make sure they only eat their dog food, and only one/two treats a day and those treats have to be special healthy dog treats. Their food has to change Also our vet prescribed Purina one EN you have to have a prescription and it is $90/30lbs through chewy.com

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Got a Yorkie that gets 2 shots a day and has been for over a year now. When first started it was 5cc a shot (morning and night), noticed that wasn’t working well so bumped it up until it did-11cc now for most of that time. Once we got the dosage regulated he started eating again. His symptoms came on quickly-breath smelled fruity, drank like a fish and lost a few pounds. Got diagnosed that week and he went blind the next day. Today he’s just as happy as always, eats well (like a pig) and gets around in the house, yard and the woods just fine. He can hear a ziplock bag being opened a half mile away

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    We have 2 cats, the boy is 2.5 years and the little girl is about 6 months.. both strictly indoor kitty's, been fixed and all that stuff but im afraid the boy has diabetes, he drinks water like crazy.. I fill their water bowl 4 times a day and ive watched him just sit there and drink for 20 min straight

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry

My Pug was diagnosed with diabetes Jan of 2020. Dear thing past on Mar 26, 2020. The Vet tried to tell us, but we didn't listen. To see her going downhill for 3 mon was not pretty.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Unfortunately we had another visit with the vet today. She still isn’t eating. She has had elevated liver enzymes for years. The vet said that is the root cause and with he way she has diminished the last few days, we are on the downhill slope with her. It could be days, weeks maybe a month or two. We gave her and her sister a great 12 years. If only I could give her 12 more.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Unfortunately, I don't have good news to report. Zoey quit eating altogether, even fighting us when we tried to feed her. She continued to loose weight and yesterday she could barely stand. Since she wasn't eating, the vet told us to not give her the insulin as it would cause other problems. Today the vet made a house call and at 1:45 this afternoon and Zoey left us. She was suffering from full on liver failure. The vet said it was time. I sure wish it wasn't, but she is in a better place now.

That's Zoey on the right and Stella on the left.
    IMG_0882.JPG

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Unfortunately, I don't have good news to report. Zoey quit eating altogether, even fighting us when we tried to feed her. She continued to loose weight and yesterday she could barely stand. Since she wasn't eating, the vet told us to not give her the insulin as it would cause other problems. Today the vet made a house call and at 1:45 this afternoon and Zoey left us. She was suffering from full on liver failure. The vet said it was time. I sure wish it wasn't, but she is in a better place now.

View attachment 132610
    My Pug went that way 1 yr ago today. You have our condolences.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru

View attachment 132610
    So sorry Doc, they are like our own kids.

Top Bottom