• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Since nobody else has responded to your post, I'll offer my opinion. I own two safes and I used to sell them. I've heard good things on other websites about the Zanotti safes. That being said, the drawbacks seem to be the lock, it appears to be a lesser quality; I don't like external hinges; I don't care for the lack of locking bolts, and I would question if they are hardened; the fire rating is minimal. Not knowing the price, I'd say the big plus to this is portability. I have an old Browning and a Ft. Knox. I like the Ft. Knox the best, by far, but again it was the most expensive. There are other very well-built safes out there, like Cannon. Anything is better than nothing, but if you really look at safes and compare closely, there are differences, even amongst models of the same brand. You have to decide what is the most important thing to you...costs including shipping, size, fire rating, security (how hard is it to break into), lock type (Sergeant and Greenleaf are tops), and finish (slick or rough). You also have to consider if you are going to put the safe into your house or hire the job out. This is where the Zanotti shines. If you can, go to someplace where safes are sold and see if you can talk to a knowledgeable sales person (I know, they are really hard to find). Good luck!

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Thanks Mike, the Zanotti, smallest one, is $1200 plus shipping so it seems like a lot since the quality is less than others at that price, especially if all you gain is the portability, it's kind of a close call though depending on my needs, mostly I just worry about the semi-professional burgler.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Phil,

Shop around and take a look at some Brownings, Ft. Knox, Cannon, Liberty, etc. You may be able to make a deal in these hard economic times. Don't waste your time looking at Dick's, Sam's Club, etc. The prettier slick finishes cost more than the rough finishes, but many times they are the same safe otherwise. Get something that you and a buddy can move. You can use an appliance dolly to get an 760 lb. safe into the door and some 1" wooden dowels or golf balls to roll it on 3'x3" pieces of plywood to roll it into place once it is in the house. Just don't be in a hurry. If the safe starts to fall, don't try to catch it, just get out of the way.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    I'm looking for a larger safe too. Should I be worried about weight? Will the floor need to be reinforced where the safe sits or the path is it moved through?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm looking for a larger safe too. Should I be worried about weight? Will the floor need to be reinforced where the safe sits or the path is it moved through?

It depends on a couple of factors. Just how heavy is the safe you are going to purchase? How old is the house you are putting the safe into? My ten year old house has no problem supporting an 800 lb. safe. If I were to buy a safe over a half-ton, I'd consult a builder to see just what he would recommend as far as reinforcement. House floors support a lot of weight. Just look at your typical kitchen. You might have to reinforce steps if you are going to put in a really heavy safe. I'm not a carpenter or general contractor. Maybe someone more familiar with home construction could chime in here.:dunno:

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Mike,

I'll be looking for something that does 20+ guns so that I don't ever have to buy another. I guess if you sold them and didn't run into a weight issue its safe to assume I'll probably be ok.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't like external hinges

Why? The hinges don't lock the door. If a thief cuts the hinges they will just have a locked and bolted door with no hinges. If anything it slows down an incompetent thief as they waste their time attacking what they think is a weak point, but isn't.

I tend to move a lot and love the idea of a portable gun safe that isn't a complete PITA to move. I just haven't gotten one because of the price.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've found that most safes that have external hinges, use these in part for security. They don't have as many bolts, and the bolts they do have are small. Remove the hinges and you make access easier.

Top Bottom