• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I know people discuss B.O.B. options and whether to stay or go quite often. My ideal plan is to stay home where I have shelter but have to prepare for the alternative just in case. I have a Camelbak BFM for a bag and most of my needed things but I lack two major items. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good tent and sleeping bag that can possibly be mounted to the BFM or is easily portable but also durable enough for Indiana weather? I have a Coleman 30 degree and 0 degree but they don't seem quite solid enough for January nights. What other items do some of you stick in your bag to survive winter? I went with the CAMELBAK for the hydration bladder as well as the huge amount of MOLLE straps on the BFM. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    if you live in a big city and SHTF then i would get the heck out of dodge and have extra gas on hand or you will be just like everyone else about a tank of gas away and stranded! but have meeting area for a group you got, stronger in numbers thats for sure!

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I can highly recommend the Modular Sleep System (MSS) that is used by our armed forces for a quality, affordable sleeping bag. I own two of these systems, and they are well worth the money. Last winter I slept out on my deck during a snow storm with the low temperature reaching 15 degrees in one of my bags for a test. My wife laughed at me, and told me she would leave the door unlocked for me when I decided to come in. The bags are rated at -40 with proper sleeping attire, and the outer bag is a gortex bivy that zippers shut to protect you from the elements. I went to sleep after a thermos of hot soup, in polypropelyne long underwear, and a wool hat, along with some heavy hunting socks. and slept like a baby. They can be had for less then $150 if you wait on a good deal from Ebay, and they are without a doubt the best bag you can get for the money. :twocents:

US-SLEEP-SYSTEM.jpg

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    LongBow, +, Amen

My BOB is in my trunk, and on my shins, and in my money-belt, and holsters. I am forming 'Fortress Pat' here at my home-place. Any are welcome if you bring your own food, fuel, and fodder (ammo). I'm holding out until they burn me out. I am prepared -- along w some othe Dormant Servicemen -- to withstand the Carnivore Caravans that are sure to come by here........2 blocks from K-Mart, SpeedyGas, and Marsh. But I HAVE discovered that a mosquito-net works well as a snow deflector in blowy conditions. And if you KNOW which way you will be fleeing, spotting some goods in the ground, along -- or at -- the R.P., will save carrying a lot of weight. 'Hydration-packs' seem sexy, but a brace of 2-liter pop-jugs works just as well, w/o the sensuous bite-valve and tube -- and can be jettisoned along the way. Same as leaving no trace (pop-jugs don't cost $20 either!) Pat.

Last edited:

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    If it's just you, forget the tent. Get a bivy bag. They are smaller, lighter, and more compact than a tent. They are more concealable, and will work just fine in all kinds of weather. In real snowy conditions, you can always rig a tarp to keep snow from blowing over the top.

Armorer59

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Greene County
    If it's just you, forget the tent. Get a bivy bag. They are smaller, lighter, and more compact than a tent. They are more concealable, and will work just fine in all kinds of weather. In real snowy conditions, you can always rig a tarp to keep snow from blowing over the top.

I agree, don't add the extra weight of a tent. Go with a lightweight tarp or something of that nature.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    When I lived in Indy I planned on bugging out. Now that I live in the sticks I'm staying, the problem is I work in Indy so I have a 30+ mile hike home if I can't drive. I decided on a small no name tent attached to my BOB.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I know people discuss B.O.B. options and whether to stay or go quite often. My ideal plan is to stay home where I have shelter but have to prepare for the alternative just in case. I have a Camelbak BFM for a bag and most of my needed things but I lack two major items. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good tent and sleeping bag that can possibly be mounted to the BFM or is easily portable but also durable enough for Indiana weather? I have a Coleman 30 degree and 0 degree but they don't seem quite solid enough for January nights. What other items do some of you stick in your bag to survive winter? I went with the CAMELBAK for the hydration bladder as well as the huge amount of MOLLE straps on the BFM. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What are you going to eat?

It takes a lot of calories to just stay alive with out shelter in the winter.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    if you live in a big city and SHTF then i would get the heck out of dodge and have extra gas on hand or you will be just like everyone else about a tank of gas away and stranded! but have meeting area for a group you got, stronger in numbers thats for sure!

Get out to where?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Heh, you already now the answer, don't you! They're headed for the country, where the air is clean, the deer are wild, and the folks are prepared!

Sight the guns for the front gate boys!

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    " Go with a lightweight tarp or something of that nature."

+1. But, while they are heavy, a roll of the LARGE plastic trash-bags can become invaluable in the winter. Pack them high on the back-pack, and easily accessible. Good for ground-cloth, quick tarp, emergency boots, etc. Also, when fleeing, have at least a 20-oz bottle of fuel for your hand-warmers.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I plan on bugging out. Hopefully before SHTF. I'm planning to move back to CO. I will be able to dig in where I'm moving to.

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    +1 CO is my destination in the next few years.

i do plan on bugging out.....i dont wanna get stuck in the busy city. have a collection of gear from backpacking out west and in the south, but all i need is a good material for a covering. preferably lightweight but strong synthetic material. i will probably leave the low-pro tent behind due to size and weight (although small and light compared to most). need a new pair of hiking boots though....but those are on my list soon no matter what.

Top Bottom