Anybody here ever sell their barn wood when taking down an old barn??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Have to take down my old barn to build the new one for our horse rescue/work with kids that we do..
    Plan on using some of the native timber to use in the inner structure we’re building but will have quite a bit of lumber left over.
    Just seeing what people here have experienced and could use advice please.
    We’re a not for profit and all funds acquired will go back into the program.
    Here is a picture of the front of the barn. 32A5FCF7-15E5-43D8-A44A-9A7E5FF8DABB.png

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Are you taking down the old barn with volunteer labor? Is the volunteer labor skilled enough to do it safely? Would any lumber sales proceeds be sucked up with injured volunteer medical expenses?

Rather than selling the wood swap it for someone with the equipment/skill to take down the barn. For their labor they get free/discounted wood or you get discounted labor/equipment in exchange for wood.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Is there a reason that the barn be taken down?
    I ask because some States have Barn Preservation Programs like where I'm from.
    One of my sisters had a huge dairy barn rebuilt through the State of Md with no cost to them.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a couple farmer neighbors who tore down old barns and looked to sell the old barnwood. Three years later the majority of the barn is still laying there. Sure, they sold off a few pieces but not much. Now it is basically free and still no one really interested. I bought a beam for a fireplace mantle.

On a side note, your barn looks pretty darn good.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Is there a reason that the barn be taken down?
    I ask because some States have Barn Preservation Programs like where I'm from.
    One of my sisters had a huge dairy barn rebuilt through the State of Md with no cost to them.
    Have to put the new barn where the existing barn stands.. trust me we have went over every option to keep this old barn.. but we’re going use lumber inside the new barn to keeps some of around.
    We’re putting a classroom inside the barn to serve the kids that will be coming from area schools.. special needs kids, kids at risk and working our way to folks with PTSD and some other groups of folks using our horses
    It’s a big project but my whole family is involved to make this happen. Been working on this since 2014 and hopefully this year make it come to be

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Have to put the new barn where the existing barn stands.. trust me we have went over every option to keep this old barn.. but we’re going use lumber inside the new barn to keeps some of around.
    We’re putting a classroom inside the barn to serve the kids that will be coming from area schools.. special needs kids, kids at risk and working our way to folks with PTSD and some other groups of folks using our horses
    It’s a big project but my whole family is involved to make this happen. Been working on this since 2014 and hopefully this year make it come to be
    Excellent, Big Props with your venture.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Couple of local links that may be of help to you.

https://www.divineheritagebarns.com/#divine-heritage-barns

Top Bottom