Anybody doing any custom home automation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    Self admitted geek / techie. Wondering what cool, interesting, or devious things folks have done with homegrown technology? I've used Raspberry Pis to monitor my sump pump and capture videos when motion is detected. Any other tech tinkerers out there?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Self admitted geek / techie. Wondering what cool, interesting, or devious things folks have done with homegrown technology? I've used Raspberry Pis to monitor my sump pump and capture videos when motion is detected. Any other tech tinkerers out there?
    Can you help me to get my VCR to stop flashing "12:00"?? ;)

mabsimmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2023
    Columbus
    I've got a couple Raspberry Pis set up with temp and humidity sensors to monitor my basement and our outside pump house. I really want to set one up to monitor the chemical levels in my pool, but haven't gotten that adventurous yet; those various sensors cost a bit more than others.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have Philips Hue bulbs throughout, a Wemo dimmer for the porch, Ring alarm and camera, and MyQ for the garage.

I have the lights in the garage set to flash throught IFTTT whenever I open the garage, because I forget to disarm the alarm.

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    I've got a couple Raspberry Pis set up with temp and humidity sensors to monitor my basement and our outside pump house. I really want to set one up to monitor the chemical levels in my pool, but haven't gotten that adventurous yet; those various sensors cost a bit more than others.
    Oh cool idea on the pool sensor. I was thinking about a remote way to open the garage door after strong authentication. It could even check if I accidentally left my garage door open and send me a text to close it or automatically close it...though I don't know how I feel about my garage door closing itself. We'll see....

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    I have Philips Hue bulbs throughout, a Wemo dimmer for the porch, Ring alarm and camera, and MyQ for the garage.

I have the lights in the garage set to flash throught IFTTT whenever I open the garage, because I forget to disarm the alarm.
    I had to pull up what the MyQ was. I was maybe going to do that with a Pi, but it's already done. May go the MyQ route after all. I have an attached garage, so an open garage is essentially leaving my front door unlocked.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I kind of wish I knew enough about this stuff to even begin knowing about some of this stuff. That's how far behind the curve I am.

My in-laws have basically all their house lights tied in to their Alexa. I do know that I do NOT want an Alexa (or Google) - run Smart home. UNLESS it could be run through an in-home network that doesn't have external Internet access; which I suppose is possible.

Those same in-laws even do their grocery list on their Alexa. Just tell her to add thus and such to their grocery list and she does it. They can then pull up the list when they're at the store. It's fun to add random things to it and then wait for the inevitable "did you add extra small condoms and petroleum jelly to our grocery list???" texts.

Anyhow: While I think it may be a neat thing to have and do; our house is so incredibly uncomplicated that automating things wouldn't do much for us.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I started out with Samsung SmartThings, moved to Hubitat after a year, and have now been running Home Assistant for a couple of years. Most of my light switches are smart switches. I have a Zooz dry contact relay to control my garage door. I have Zooz dimmers on some dimmable lights, and a Zooz controller for some under-the-cabinet LED strips. I have other Zooz relays on ceiling fans. I have a smart outdoor outlet to control the light in the doghouses (for heat in the winter). I have Ecobee thermostat integrated with Home Assistant.

It's a mixture of ZWave and Zigbee devices. I don't use WiFi devices for anything.

If nothing else, temperature monitoring in my freezers and refrigerators have saved me a couple of times, making the whole process worth the time and money.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I have been using Zwave for almost 20 years now. I started with MiCasaVerde over a decade ago, but they were acquired and destroyed, so I now use Hubitat. The nice thing about Zwave and Zigbee devices is that they are not married to a particular controller, so I just moved them over, and if I grow tired of Hubitat, I can move to another controller. Hubitat integrates with MyQ, Ecobee, Google Home, and Alexa. It is not internet-dependent for it to work (although Google Home and stuff will not work), but all the local Zwave and Zigbee switches, sensors, etc, will continue to operate as needed without Internet.

I use it for opening/closing the garage door, turning on/off lights on a schedule and door open, pool pump, thermostat, UV furnace controls, leak detection, etc.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Oh cool idea on the pool sensor. I was thinking about a remote way to open the garage door after strong authentication. It could even check if I accidentally left my garage door open and send me a text to close it or automatically close it...though I don't know how I feel about my garage door closing itself. We'll see....
    Chamberlain sells this exact system called MyQ. Low enough cost ($30) it wasn't worth trying to DIY it. Even cheaper than a R Pi and related sensors.
    --Rick
    I see I was scooped above!

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    We installed a big dog, now when a cricket chirps we are alerted.
    Growing up we had 2 little dogs with the same result. One small noise and it's barkville. Once one dog started, the other joined in. Good for detecting intruders and the random leaf that fell from the front tree. :ugh:

StayTrue76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2023
    NW Indiana
    I have been using Zwave for almost 20 years now. I started with MiCasaVerde over a decade ago, but they were acquired and destroyed, so I now use Hubitat. The nice thing about Zwave and Zigbee devices is that they are not married to a particular controller, so I just moved them over, and if I grow tired of Hubitat, I can move to another controller. Hubitat integrates with MyQ, Ecobee, Google Home, and Alexa. It is not internet-dependent for it to work (although Google Home and stuff will not work), but all the local Zwave and Zigbee switches, sensors, etc, will continue to operate as needed without Internet.

I use it for opening/closing the garage door, turning on/off lights on a schedule and door open, pool pump, thermostat, UV furnace controls, leak detection, etc.
    I do like the fact things work w/o internet. I did add a UPS to my router so things can communicate out if there's a power outage....but doesn't help if there's a Internet outage at my ISP. I've used Govee sensors for leaks as I got it via a good Amazon sale. It's saved my bacon once on a leaky toilet.

Top Bottom