• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So I was a helicopter crewchief in a SOAR unit and spent a lot of time flying under the transmission of a Chinook. This did two things to me, one was give me horrible Tinnitus, and the other is hearing loss. When I ETS'd I'm wanting to say my hearing loss was 40% and 3 years ago it was 50 with no hearing in the upper frequencies. I've put off getting rated above 0% because I don't want to wear hearing aids that could possibly make my Tinnitus worse but it's come to the point that asking "What did you say" is annoying others also.

My questions are, has anyone submitted for compensation/treatment here in Indy, did they approve after confirming the loss, and if you have Tinnitus, do hearing aids make the ringing worse?

I just submitted for the increase from a 0% rating to a higher rating online a bit ago and have no idea if it will be as easy as the rating for Tinnitus was or if they will screw me around like I've heard they do with hearing loss. With the Tinnitus claim in Arkansas, I was tested and approved in less than 60 days... hoping for the same results or close here.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I don't remember what my % of hearing loss is, but it amounts to 10% on my disability rating. My tinnitus comes and goes at odd times. It can be so peaceful, and then my ear just "turns on". I get grouchy sometimes, and I do say "What?" a lot, but for the most part I just have the tv turned up louder. Putting off getting hearing aids. (not even sure if I qualify anyhow) I don't even wear my glasses if I don't have to.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I can't answer about submitting for compensation in Indy, but here's my experience with tinnitus. It took me years to realize I had it, but it is constant and pretty loud if I think about it. I've had it for so long tho (had it for years before I realized what it was) that I have learned to ignore it.

I have significant hearing loss, worth 10% disability rating per the VA, and hearing aids didn't really seem to help me actually understand people better. Made sounds louder, the tech fiddled with the programs to tamp down background noise and all that, but it didn't seem to actually functionally make me hear better, so I shelved the hearing aids.. That was 10 years ago or more, hearing is worse, maybe hearing aids are better now, so I guess I should give it another whirl.

But I do not recall that the hearing aids made the tinnitus worse. I think that is unlikely since my understanding is tinnitus is generated internally, not by external noises. Hearing aids transmit and amplify external noises, so I don't see them making tinnitus louder, and I don't remember that happening.

Good luck with this, it is a pain in the [STRIKE]butt [/STRIKE]ear.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A buddy of mine was in the Air Force too. He has hearing loss as well. He has been fighting with them for years without success. I feel for you guys. It's not right!!

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    But I do not recall that the hearing aids made the tinnitus worse. I think that is unlikely since my understanding is tinnitus is generated internally, not by external noises. Hearing aids transmit and amplify external noises, so I don't see them making tinnitus louder, and I don't remember that happening.

My Tinnitus effects my every day life it's so bad. It's a super high pitch and I find myself unable to sleep unless I'm so exhausted that I cannot keep my eyes open any longer. Just sitting around I'll have to have some tele or radio playing, there is no "quiet time" for me.

From my understanding the hairs in the ears are short and damaged which is what makes it ring and they don't heal Having louder than normal noise does make my ringing louder for a while which is what makes me nervous about the hearing aids.... I however do not know if it will make it worse. When I go shoot, I'll wear foam plugs and a set of the reactive hearing protection so that I'm not totally suffering afterwards.

My ringing is around 3700 HZ or so and you can get an idea of what I hear 24 hours a day 365 days a year without a seconds break.... Just go HERE and type in 3700 and press play.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That sucks,

Yes it does. And I can sympathize with you on the tinnitus. I have it too. I have tried the meds and they do not work for me. It's really annoying! I also have a 60% loss in one ear and a 40% in the other. I really need hearing aids. My hearing loss seems hereditary. Most of my older relivives have it too.

Best of luck to you! And thank you for your service :patriot: You should be compensated!

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I just recently put in to be Ckd for all your talking about. I've been told I have about a 6 mo wait before they can get me in at the V.A. I have put up with the ringing & the constant asking someone to repeat since I got out in '80. Jet engines on the flight line .It sucks not hearing everything your grand kids say cause their voice is too high pitched. It is annoying at best. I don't think my problem is as bad as yours but we will see.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My ringing is around 3700 HZ or so and you can get an idea of what I hear 24 hours a day 365 days a year without a seconds break.... Just go HERE and type in 3700 and press play.

I tried the link.
    My hearing drops off completely at 4000hz.
    I can hear at 3900, and at 4100, but 4000hz matches the tone in my head EXACTLY.

This is evidently the frequency of the J79 Pratt & Whitney turbines in the F4J Phantoms I worked around.

I need to get in the system.

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Yes it does. And I can sympathize with you on the tinnitus. I have it too. I have tried the meds and they do not work for me. It's really annoying!

They told me the only meds that would have any effect with me would be sedatives and I'll be dammed if I walk around in a stopper all day.

I just recently put in to be Ckd for all your talking about. I've been told I have about a 6 mo wait before they can get me in at the V.A. I have put up with the ringing & the constant asking someone to repeat since I got out in '80. Jet engines on the flight line .It sucks not hearing everything your grand kids say cause their voice is too high pitched. It is annoying at best. I don't think my problem is as bad as yours but we will see.

My first real primary care physician in AR was over a year, if you can wait that first initial time by just going to the ER when you need to see a doctor, it all gets better. Once you get a clinic you'll be able to go in and see the nurse if you cannot see the doctor on short notice also.

Just be patient and use the ER, don't feel bad about using it either.... That's what they're there for and they understand.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have hearing loss as well as tinnitus. The VA is the VA. It's a nightmare to get anything done and then when you do it's months of waiting before you hear back.

ETA: I had a teacher that was a Cobra pilot in Vietnam and his was so bad he went to Israel for treatment. He said it definitely helped to the point he doesn't notice it anymore unless it's absolutely dead silent.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    So I was a helicopter crewchief in a SOAR unit and spent a lot of time flying under the transmission of a Chinook. This did two things to me, one was give me horrible Tinnitus, and the other is hearing loss. When I ETS'd I'm wanting to say my hearing loss was 40% and 3 years ago it was 50 with no hearing in the upper frequencies. I've put off getting rated above 0% because I don't want to wear hearing aids that could possibly make my Tinnitus worse but it's come to the point that asking "What did you say" is annoying others also.

My questions are, has anyone submitted for compensation/treatment here in Indy, did they approve after confirming the loss, and if you have Tinnitus, do hearing aids make the ringing worse?

I just submitted for the increase from a 0% rating to a higher rating online a bit ago and have no idea if it will be as easy as the rating for Tinnitus was or if they will screw me around like I've heard they do with hearing loss. With the Tinnitus claim in Arkansas, I was tested and approved in less than 60 days... hoping for the same results or close here.

Yep... I worked in the missile house onboard a destroyer. I've had tinnitus for well over 20 years now, I'm just used to now but as I'm getting older my hearing is going down fast. If there is any background noise It's very hard to hear anything, I have to cup my hands around my ear to understand what someone is talking to me about.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Long process.

I was an Army helicopter pilot 1968 to 1972 with two tours in Viet-Nam '69 to '71. I was asked if I wanted to claim a disability when I left active duty in September of 1972 as my tinnitus and hearing loss was already noticeable and documented during my semi-annual flight physicals. I declined the disability as I intended to pursue a career in civilian aviation (which I did for the next twenty eight years). Due to my severe hearing loss in 1975 it was necessary for me to obtain a,"waiver", (Statement of Demonstrated Ability). from the FAA Flight Surgeon in order to continue to fly. I was issued hearing aids in 2003 at the VAMC in Indianapolis and wear them when I must but they are annoying at times perhaps because I have grown used to the tinnitus and relative quiet of my world over the last forty five years or so. I am currently on a 30% disability for other health issues (heart) also related to my overseas service and have been pursuing an increase in that amount because of the also service related hearing loss. I applied two years ago and when I spoke to the patient advocate at the VA two weeks ago he said that new claims have a priority because of all of the recent bad press and that I should anticipate waiting at least another year before expecting a response to my appeal. :rolleyes: On the bright side if they do finally approve the increase I will receive a back-pay check dating back to when I first applied in 2012.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

My brother worked on birds in Nam and had the same complaints that you guys have. He found a cure that still works today. :):

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I applied two years ago and when I spoke to the patient advocate at the VA two weeks ago he said that new claims have a priority because of all of the recent bad press and that I should anticipate waiting at least another year before expecting a response to my appeal.

I have no qualms what so ever if it takes time if it means the guys getting out can get treatment..... It's despicable the time it's taking these days. I already have a doctor and can get the treatment or whatever I need... The guys who cannot should go right to the front of the line.... I'll take the back pay when they get around my claim too.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Do you have any LOD's as proof of where you obtained the hearing loss? I ran ranges for many years, and issue ear pro was non existent, so we supplied our own "rubber bullets", which don't do much for all day on a .50 range. After I ETS'd, a routine wellness check at work noted a substantial hearing loss, so I went to the VA to try to get a rating, and was told, without a Line of Duty, no dice!? YMMV

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I, at one time, started the process to try and get disability for hearing loss, but I realized that many young men and women, were coming back from Iraq, and Afganistan without arms and legs....I'd rather they get treatment, my service was peacetime 1981-1986

Top Bottom