• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    They are so popular it is nearly impossible to find a used one for a reasonable price without it having 180,000 miles on it.

Ask me how I know. :(

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If I wanted a compact body-on-frame pickup, I'd buy a Nissan Frontier and get a more powerful V6, their tried and true naturally aspirated 3.5L. More room in just about every dimension, and a simple, comfortable old-school interior layout with buttons and knobs. Probably save a few thousand going with a similar trim level with the Frontier as well. Good looking truck, too.

1691719760508.png

But I drive a Ridgeline, so what do I know?

:):

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Appreciate all the input. I've been doing my fair share of research on the new Taco. (Supposedly) it's number three on the list of cars/parts/design/build here in the US. Never have any way of proving this, but heard it in an interview with some of the engineers. Other than that, the new style is supposed to have the deeper floor wells, help with the foot angels of drivers.

As for the Turbo 4's and tech and all that. For me it's Toyota, and the engine/drivetrain has been in a Lexus SUV for a few years, so first year jitters will hopefully be sorted by the time I come shakin the tree.

My biggest concern, which is kinda silly, is if the radar cruise control still works with the manual transmission. (And all the fancy off road tech that comes on the TRD Offroad)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I wanted a compact body-on-frame pickup, I'd buy a Nissan Frontier and get a more powerful V6, their tried and true naturally aspirated 3.5L. More room in just about every dimension, and a simple, comfortable old-school interior layout with buttons and knobs. Probably save a few thousand going with a similar trim level with the Frontier as well. Good looking truck, too.

View attachment 292185

But I drive a Ridgeline, so what do I know?

:):
    I keep forgetting about the Nissan. I do like them but haven't driven one yet. When it comes time, I will probably check one out.

Nissan makes good product, they just get on shaky ground occasionally.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Appreciate all the input. I've been doing my fair share of research on the new Taco. (Supposedly) it's number three on the list of cars/parts/design/build here in the US. Never have any way of proving this, but heard it in an interview with some of the engineers. Other than that, the new style is supposed to have the deeper floor wells, help with the foot angels of drivers.

As for the Turbo 4's and tech and all that. For me it's Toyota, and the engine/drivetrain has been in a Lexus SUV for a few years, so first year jitters will hopefully be sorted by the time I come shakin the tree.

My biggest concern, which is kinda silly, is if the radar cruise control still works with the manual transmission. (And all the fancy off road tech that comes on the TRD Offroad)
    Do you want the radar cruise? I disable mine on any car I drive that has it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have a 2017 Tacoma and have been very happy with it. Keep in mind I am a city boy and rarely use it as a truck but when I do it works. Low maintenance other than oil changes. I did just change the spark plugs, which was a bit of a pain in the butt, was a little disappointed to find one of the plugs was only finger tight.

Overall Toyota quality that is comparable to my wife's Hondas. My son has a Four Runner and is happy with it too. I would be a little concerned about the new platform but sounds like you have done your research. I would buy another Tacoma again.

• Daily Driver ~ works great, very comfortable in town as well as on long road trips.
    • Interior Room ~ plenty of room for my wife and I to go on vacation with all our luggage inside the rear of the cab and our bicycles in the back. With the four doors it holds four adults comfortably on a two hour highway trip.
    • Hauling ~ Pulled a U-Haul trailer from Florida to Indiana without any trouble, even through the mountains.
    • Electronics ~ the blind spot monitors no longer work and I refuse to pay the dealership a diagnostic fee plus whatever $$$ they dream up needs replaced.
    • Off-Road ~ no real off roading but will climb my buddy's super steep, rutted driveway in Brown County. Crawl control features look cool but there has not been anything I am willing to conquer that could not be handled by 4WD hi/lo.
    • Snow ~ plenty of clearance. I run snow tires in the winter and turn on 4WD hi and can make it through anything I encounter in Fort Wayne. Handles like a dream.
    • Short Bed ~ the short bed can be limiting but I have overcome it for the few times I need to use it as a truck.
    Able to haul plenty of plywood for the mostly peaceful protest during the BLM summer of love.

BoardUp.jpg

Bed extender gives me lots of options.

Canoe2.jpg

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County

I believe the adaptive cruise works with the manual, but you won't get the crawl control features.

I won't buy another vehicle without adaptive cruise control. It's a game-changer. The crawl control stuff is kinda neat, but I've rarely utilized it. In sand, it can be very helpful if you're stuck.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I find the radar cruise is great when on the interstate going through bigger cities. It keeps a safe gap from the car in front and if some a-hole jumps into that gap ( and they will) the auto-braking system takes over.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I'll just leave this here....Toyota is so reliable, because they don't innovate. You'll very rarely find a toyota that has more "tech" than any other brand. The same goes with their drivetrain. IMO.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    I believe the adaptive cruise works with the manual, but you won't get the crawl control features.

I won't buy another vehicle without adaptive cruise control. It's a game-changer. The crawl control stuff is kinda neat, but I've rarely utilized it. In sand, it can be very helpful if you're stuck.
    Outside of the crawl control, I believe there is an electronic front stabilizer disconnect that I want to make sure isn't interfered with. But I agree, the crawl control is mostly a gimmick, but could be another "assist" in a tough situation.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yes, want to participate in the truck camping scene now that my kids are out of HS and I don't have sports to attend every weekend.

Not a taco but a Tundra, 07 with 185k on it, been very good to me.
    Also coming from the Ford/Dodge heavy duty background, I feel it gets around like a small truck.
    This truck is very comfortable to ride/ drive long distances.
    tempImage4oPS6i.jpg

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I'll just leave this here....Toyota is so reliable, because they don't innovate. You'll very rarely find a toyota that has more "tech" than any other brand. The same goes with their drivetrain. IMO.
    I agree somewhat. They don't innovate for the sake being first with the new bells and whistles. But on the other hand I had an 1989 Toyota Supra with a turbo and change on -the-fly suspension settings. They also have the hybrid power thing figured out sooner and better than anyone else.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    I agree somewhat. They don't innovate for the sake being first with the new bells and whistles. But on the other hand I had an 1989 Toyota Supra with a turbo and change on -the-fly suspension settings. They also have the hybrid power thing figured out sooner and better than anyone else.
    This is the nutshell. Toyota might not come up with the idea, but they perfect it.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I haven't figured out how to disable it on the Camry we have. TBF I haven't really looked into it as i don't drive it often, but it's not apparent from the drivers seat.
    On the Lexus you have to hold the "set" button in for a few secs then it goes to regular cruise control. I disable the radar when on interstates with little traffic. If not I'll run up on a car going 10mph under the speed limit and not notice it for a while. :lmfao:

Top Bottom