Any 'smiths here replace LCP sights? (milling required)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Took my wife out today to fire her new Ruger LCP. The sights are crap and she cant acquire a good sight picture to save her life. at 5 yards she had trouble keeping it on the paper on a 12" target. Its not the pistol because I had some 3" groups. A bit down and to the right by about 2", but still not bad groups.

Anyone here do slide milling to replace the sights? I found this company out of SC, but not sure about turnaround, etc. and I'd like to keep it closer to home.

Sight Upgrade

I could duplicate her shots by putting her front sight behind one of the rear ramp posts, so I think its poor sight design. And I thought my dad's S&W 36 had poor sights. ugh. I think I'll try painting her front sight first, but wanted to put out some feelers.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I could do the milling if you get the sights. But i would need to know dovetail dementions to know if I would have to buy a special bit.
    I'm in Avon.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Milling for the sights isn't a problem, it sounds as though the front is a trijicon but the rear is custom made and the only finishing I do is parkerizing

I think 30Cal hit the nail on the head. I noticed that too... these guys make their own rear sight. Kinda makes me wonder if they dont have a corner on this niche market. Why arent THEY using some off the shelf sight? (or they are but are milling that one down a bit)

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Let's ask this question, do you have a particular set of sights you want installed? Are you wanting the slide refinished after cutting the dovetails and if so what type finish are you wanting?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Let's ask this question, do you have a particular set of sights you want installed? Are you wanting the slide refinished after cutting the dovetails and if so what type finish are you wanting?

No, nothing in particular, I just want something better than what is on there. The stock sights on a LCP rank right up there with Smith J Frame revolvers. (just a front ramp and a notch at the back of the frame)

Im looking for the same basic service this company provides... remove existing sights, dovetail and install new, and refinish to somewhat original so it looks like it came out of the factory.

Oh, and I heard back from that company. They have suspended this mod due to other machine work. They said they would keep my email and let me know when they start doing them again. However when I asked how long they expected, they didnt bother to respond. If they do respond I may see if they can sell me just the sights for somebody else to do the install since they are supposedly custom rear sights. Here's hoping maybe they already have some extras?

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    If you decide on what sights you want installed I can fit them, I can make the custom rear sight but there are a lot on sights already out there, as to the finish I'm not even sure what there using, guncoat or something similar?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I agree that the sight a not well designed on the LCP but with practice and the correct placement of trigger finger my wife can shot 1" groups at 10 ft and 3 " groups at 20 ft

She just needs more practice. The LCP is more of a point and shoot gun.

Top Bottom