• ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I hear different stories occasionally about lefties learning to use a right handed bolt by operating the bolt with their support hand getting off quicker follow up shots.

Curious if any right handed shooters here have ever tried the same with a left handed bolt?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Im trying to figure out a stock for a lefty savage to be shot right handed. Its the old short action so no new stocks work.
    Boyds has some, but they have a cheekpiece ( are lefty stocks ). Wish i could get rhe tacticool in right for it and just mod for lefty.

Its a straight taper heavy w no barrel nut ( rebarreled by Penrod in .243 win ).

For bench, since so heavy, id shoot it right and work bolt left. No big deal.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    it seems to me, at least as far as bench shooting goes, that one could be more efficient running the bolt with the left hand while keeping the trigger finger right near the trigger. I also get that BR shooting is rarely about speed. But I'm hardly a rifle guy at all, let alone a bolt gun dude. heaven forbid bench rested.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I'm a southpaw as well though I shoot a rifle righty and pistols lefty.

I'm weird like that, I must be partly ambidexterous. I eat, write, hold a chef's knife and shoot pistol with the left but I bat, golf, play guitar and use a mouse with the right. In pool I am primarily a lefty but practice both ways which makes certain shots much easier to pull off.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    it seems to me, at least as far as bench shooting goes, that one could be more efficient running the bolt with the left hand while keeping the trigger finger right near the trigger. I also get that BR shooting is rarely about speed. But I'm hardly a rifle guy at all, let alone a bolt gun dude. heaven forbid bench rested.
    Just curious if anyone has experience with the mechanics of it. Not really for BR or anything other than curiosity

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    My dad was a lefty and had a few left bolt rifles. He kinda said screw it and went Ruger falling blocks.
    I wish I had the money to do that!!.....I don't own any bolts right now, really want a lefty in .308, or 7.62x39, but money isn't there....For bench rest I can see the point.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    You can do, because many people do , but it takes PATIENCE and the WILL to do it. PRACTICE and determination will definitly help.It also helps to have TIME to do it , a rare commodity.

360willys

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 14, 2019
    South Bend
    I hear different stories occasionally about lefties learning to use a right handed bolt by operating the bolt with their support hand getting off quicker follow up shots.

Curious if any right handed shooters here have ever tried the same with a left handed bolt?
    A little of topic but I've heard stories in ww1 we're there took British 303 rifles and did some cool stuff. The actions were so smooth that the men would operate the bolt with index and thumb and pull the trigger with there middle finger. Supposedly they were shooting them so quickly the Germans thought they were up against machine guns.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A little of topic but I've heard stories in ww1 we're there took British 303 rifles and did some cool stuff. The actions were so smooth that the men would operate the bolt with index and thumb and pull the trigger with there middle finger. Supposedly they were shooting them so quickly the Germans thought they were up against machine guns.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Yes, it is easier to do thins like that and shoot more rapidly with a cock on closing design like the Lee Enfields.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    As long as you could operate the bolt without losing cheekweld I bet you could get pretty fast. I would like to try a left hand bolt, right side eject as a bench gun. I spent most of my life left-handed but fortunately I shoot right.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

I do the opposite, right-handed but left eye dominant. I honestly do more "cross-face" technique than using support hand. This is born out of my transition from right to left handed in long guns. I was young, so support hand made the difference in stability. I developed a way to rotate the rifle if need be to clear a scope, but once I got the mechanics down it became quite natural.

If I am on a bench I will cycle with support hand, but that's mostly out of time availability and lack of needing to keep on target more fluidly.

Top Bottom