• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Ok then, what flash do you recommend for indoor photography of babies/toddlers on the go?

My wife has the SB-600 Speedlight which she uses from time to time. She seems to like it. But there's something about her new full body camera (D810 I think) which means she doesn't need much external flash anymore.

I'm way over my head now talking about this. I will let the other guys who know way more talk.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You should have a nice carrying case to protect the camera from dust and impacts. A skylight 1A filter is highly recommended to protect the lens from scratches. A nice flash unit with an adjustable head is a great accessory to have for indoor photos, decreases the harsh impact that flash often has, and eliminates red eye. Extra lenses are always nice too, telephoto lenses are great for sporting events and outdoor photos.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Camera shutter release cable or remote depending on which it uses.
    Keeps you from bumping the camera when using long shutters, such as night photos.
    Maybe a class.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    In lieu of a flash, I would recommend a reflector kit. If the 50mm lens is purchased, low light photos become more viable. Furthermore, a quality flash may exceed the remaining funds available for this endeavor. This particular reflector kit is only $25 and serves as a flag (black in color to absorb/control light), reflector (white, silver, and gold to add fill light), and diffusion panel (to soften light from light sources such as windows and lamps). 40"X60" 5 in 1 Collapsible Multi Photo Light Reflector Kit for Photography Video | eBay

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Lots of great advice here - I'd suggest a set of pocket wizards for around $200. This will allow her to trigger an off camera flash. Of course she needs an off camera flash to go with it.

xrite passport color checker is also a great gift for $100 ish..

a good light meter sekonic L 358 is around $260

indy photo coach has classes and lessons and often has gift cards.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Anyone care to weigh in on the benefits of going with a more expensive flash over a cheaper one? A quick Amazon searched netter me these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-700-...447_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1416489590&sr=1-4

Amazon.com : Neewer TT560 Flash Speedlite for Canon Nikon Sony Panasonic Olympus Fujifilm Pentax Sigma Minolta Leica and Other SLR Digital SLR Film SLR Cameras and Digital Cameras with single-contact Hot Shoe : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera &

The first one being nearly 10 times more expensive. Is it really worth the difference?

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county

Yes. Because that flash and your camera speak the same language. In other words, they will sync together well.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Is that the difference between a manual and an automatic flash? The auto operates like the popup that is on the camera, while the manual requires you to leave it on and then take the picture? I assume auto is better for beginners?

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It really depends on the usage. If you are going to shoot in automatic mode the more expensive flash will give better results. If you are using off camera flash, remote triggers a meter etc, you can buy a cheaper flash. Light is light...

as mentioned earlier, training might be the better investment at this point. I'd rather have 3 cheap flashes than one good one - but it's because I have a plan for using them and in MY situation all I need is something to flash when I tell it. I'll control how much light I want with power/distance and modifiers.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Is that the difference between a manual and an automatic flash? The auto operates like the popup that is on the camera, while the manual requires you to leave it on and then take the picture? I assume auto is better for beginners?

Not exactly. The auto is like your pop up flash. The camera determines the amount of flash needed and only puts out the proper amount to get a good exposure.

manual means you set the power level. And every time it fires it will put out the same amount of light no matter what the rest of the scene loks like. Manual flash is way better, but requires you to know how to control it.

a light that is always on, is referred to continuous light, not a flash.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I see. I won't be purchasing the flash, but I know others would ask me for gift ideas so I thought I'd try to figure something out.

I don't see her doing a lot of off camera flash. The majority of her shots will most likely be impromptu, capture the moment type of thing. So it sounds like something on camera and with an auto function is the way to go?

As far as a class, she may be getting that from her mother, but if not, she has a friend who is a professional photographer that has offered to let her shadow her whenever she wants. I imagine she will take her up on that.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The cheaper flash unit's don't meter the light through the lens (Called TTL Metering). Often they have their own light sensor. Some of the really cheap flash units don't even have a sensor, they are fully manual. You will set the camera to a specific shutter speed, then set the flash unit to a specific power setting. The camera will trigger the flash unit, but wont make any automatic adjustments to the exposure.

Some of the big advantages you lose with cheap flash units is TTL metering, exposure compensation (being able add or take away flash output), and setting when the flash is triggered during the exposure.

TTL metering flash is one of the few automatic functions that I still very much enjoy having. It allows the camera to talk to the flash unit and adjust the flash output perfectly.

Top Bottom