• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    I noticed as I was dreaming about a crimson trace laser for my Sig 229R that I carry, that NRA Certified instructors get 40% off. I just turned 21, and will be looking into becomming a certified instructor, but in the mean time, would anyone be interesting in helping achieve a christmas present. :)

Until I graduate, expenses like this are hard to come by at ( 300 bucks for retail ) Hoping someone might be able to help me out so I don't have to wait another 2 years before I can get one.

Also, on a side note. As a certified instructor, where do you hold your courses? ( local range? conservation club? etc. ) Were you nervous the first time you taught people, and what have you found to be the best methods. Thanks!

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't help on the crimson trace but here are some things to help with the instructing.

Some gun/sportsmen's clubs have pretty extensive training departments. They are a very good place to start because they usually have a head instructor who is also certified to train new instructors. This will allow you to get trained and also get a chance to apprentice. Although you get certified to teach, finding a place to teach and having all of the materials can be difficult. Our club has about 50 instructors on staff. Most are pistol but there are others. We don't get paid to teach. If you do, you will need professional liability insurance. NRA can provide it. As unpaid staff, we fall under the club's insurance. As a new instructor, you will help other instructors on the range and/or in the classroom. For insurance reasons, most clubs will not allow you to do your own lessons.

Most gun stores with ranges employ instructors. Generally they don't get paid very well but are able to get some pretty good discounts. Most spend more at the store than they make. Most of the store/ranges will not allow you to teach there if you don't work for them. You are competing with them and there may be insurance reasons too.

I hope this helps some.

Don

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Cerified NRA Instructor in Shotgun and Rifle, took my test at Ross Camp outside Lafayette while taking classes to teach for Johnson County 4-H Shooting Sports. Have been hearing about a number of Instructors out there putting on classes and charging a nice little fee to do so. Had a young man at the head office of NRA tell me when I called in for some materials that I should consider doing this on a part-time status. Our 4-H club has been running about 80 to 90 youth members which means a number of parents that get to sit in and sometimes are allowed to get involved with the firearms under our supervision.
    If you are interested in becoming a instructor look around close for a group such as this and get involved. Besides there is nothing like working with a bunch of young people in this field.

Top Bottom