Any m&p owner get a apex trigger kit and regret it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    The trigger on my m&p is "gritty", I can barely feel the reset and I cant hear it at all. I heard that apex makes something that greatly improves the trigger and reset, anyone know what it is? I see a lot of products on their page. I'm also concerned about the reliability of aftermarket parts, so does anyone know what will give me a smooth trigger with a definite reset? And has anyone used the apex parts and had reliability problems?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjIGPqh083E

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    RAM. (Reset Assist Mechanism). I never bothered. I was used to the clicky reset of Glocks, but quickly adapted to the M&P without it.

I do love the apex triggers though, I have the DCEAK on my FS that I carry and the Comp AEK on my Pro for USPSA.

The RAM is what affects the reset, and it does not come with the trigger kits. The trigger kits have very little effect on audible or tactile reset, they just remove over travel and improve the break. The Apex USB (which comes in the kits) is what smooths out the grit.

Last edited:

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i dont care about reducing the over travel, i just want to get rid of the gritty feel. i have about 3,000 rounds through it and figured it would smooth out with time/wear but it hasnt.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The Apex hard sear will solve the gritty trigger. It is an easy install, and well worth the investment.

The sear is NOT what causes the grittiness. It is the plunger on the striker block. The factory one has a sharp angle where the Apex is rounded and polished. This angle dragging on the trigger bar is what causes the grit. Without replacing the striker block, you will still have grit.

IMG_0745.jpg

Last edited:

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    dont regret mine. i installed it after about 150 rds, and never looked back. it has over 5000 through it now. no issues

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    The sear is NOT what causes the grittiness. It is the plunger on the striker block. The factory one has a sharp angle where the Apex is rounded and polished. This angle dragging on the trigger bar is what causes the grit. Without replacing the striker block, you will still have grit.

IMG_0745.jpg

Yep, your right, I forgot about that part.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I always wondered what the attraction was to a reset that sounded like a shylock snapping the pinkie of a late payer.

Riding the reset is helpful during speed shooting, but the idea that you'll be able to "hear" it during live fire is absurd. I do like to be able to feel when I've released the trigger enough to fire again, which I am able to do do just fine with my M&P's without the RAM.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I know people who have the Apex kit and others who have the ATEi tigger job by Doug. I understand both are great but I've never seen anyone compare them. From what I can tell by reading posts from others over the years is that the Apex trigger may be a lighter trigger pull.

I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I always wondered what the attraction was to a reset that sounded like a shylock snapping the pinkie of a late payer.

Riding the reset is helpful during speed shooting, but the idea that you'll be able to "hear" it during live fire is absurd. I do like to be able to feel when I've released the trigger enough to fire again, which I am able to do do just fine with my M&P's without the RAM.

Exactly, being able to feel the reset is a benefit for riding the trigger to where it just resets for the follow up shot. Often learned by shooting Glocks quite a bit. I only had the RAM installed on my M&P 9c, and while it provided some tactile reset, it wasn't near as much as I was looking for. The rest of the trigger feel was not a huge issue, but not being able to tell when it reset was still an issue for me even after the RAM. I didn't regret the RAM, but it wasn't enough of what I was looking for. It was a cheap part by itself, so wasn't a huge concern.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I'll second the striker block. I had the grittiest trigger on my CORE. I ended up taking the block out and removing the firing pin and there was a good size burr where the SB channel meets the firing pin channel. A few quick but careful strokes with a round file later, life was nice and the trigger was smoother than any other I've had. That being said I have yet to buy any apex parts. Notice I said "yet."

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    Well I just ordered the RAM and striker block. Hopefully it will be here in a few days. Will try to install them myself, hopefully it all goes well.

Top Bottom