• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I’ll begin by saying that my question is more out of curiosity than anything, but it got me wondering, so…

Back in early summer, my youngest son brought over an excavator and a bobcat with a grading blade, and removed a very large tree stump in our side yard. That all went well, and he leveled out the dirt mound left behind where the stump was, we bought a bag of one of the name brand grass seed, Scotts, I think, no idea what exact variety of seed it is, and seeded the area, probably about a 30 foot circular area.

Anyway, the seed took well and before long I was mowing that spot just like the rest of the yard.

In the last few days, that one particular area has completely turned brown and dusty!

I’m not a lawn aficionado or obsessive compulsive about it or anything, just wondering why the area of new grass browned up and died so quickly? The rest of my yard and my daughters yard next door are still green and alive. Is this a particular seed type thing? Could it be that the topsoil is different than anything else around it?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I’ll begin by saying that my question is more out of curiosity than anything, but it got me wondering, so…

Back in early summer, my youngest son brought over an excavator and a bobcat with a grading blade, and removed a very large tree stump in our side yard. That all went well, and he leveled out the dirt mound left behind where the stump was, we bought a bag of one of the name brand grass seed, Scotts, I think, no idea what exact variety of seed it is, and seeded the area, probably about a 30 foot circular area.

Anyway, the seed took well and before long I was mowing that spot just like the rest of the yard.

In the last few days, that one particular area has completely turned brown and dusty!

I’m not a lawn aficionado or obsessive compulsive about it or anything, just wondering why the area of new grass browned up and died so quickly? The rest of my yard and my daughters yard next door are still green and alive. Is this a particular seed type thing? Could it be that the topsoil is different than anything else around it?
    Could be the type of grass.

Could be the roots haven't gone as deep yet.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Some seed mixes are heavy on annuals for a quick green up.
    Also, no deep roots to keep drawing moisture like an established lawn.
    Try a park mix and see what happens. It's not too late yet to reseed.
    Keep it watered. A little fertilizer helps too.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    What slim said most likely. Annual grasses germinate faster than perennial. The perennial most like barely germinated and died from our early drought.

Soil ph and available nutrients most likely different in that area also. Re seed it now with some quality RTF seed, keep it watered, add starter fert, and next spring you should be good barring a freeze of your new seedlings

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What slim said most likely. Annual grasses germinate faster than perennial. The perennial most like barely germinated and died from our early drought.

Soil ph and available nutrients most likely different in that area also. Re seed it now with some quality RTF seed, keep it watered, add starter fert, and next spring you should be good barring a freeze of your new seedlings
    And don't put down pre-emergent in the spring or it will cause the see you put down now issues, as I understand it.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Is it possible you used Zoysia grass seed? They use it on some golf course fairways. Turns brown immediately with the first hard frost. It's weird to see how it acts. It'll green up later than other grass as i recall, but stay green really well through heat and drought. It also creeps, so it will eventually take over your entire yard if you're not careful.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is it possible you used Zoysia grass seed? They use it on some golf course fairways. Turns brown immediately with the first hard frost. It's weird to see how it acts. It'll green up later than other grass as i recall, but stay green really well through heat and drought. It also creeps, so it will eventually take over your entire yard if you're not careful.
    Zoysia is usually started with plugs, not seed. We used to have a bunch of it. Beautiful in the summer and chokes out weeds, but looks like hell in the winter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ahh, that I did not know. Interesting. I have some in my yard that crept over from a neighbor. It's crazy how it grows in summer, then gone as soon as cooler weather hits
    Dad originally planted ours for a badminton court (back in the 50's) and also as a "grass strip" between two gardens. We've only got a little bit left now and it's spotty.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Some seed mixes are heavy on annuals for a quick green up.
    Also, no deep roots to keep drawing moisture like an established lawn.
    Try a park mix and see what happens. It's not too late yet to reseed.
    Keep it watered. A little fertilizer helps too.
    It's almost 3 months too late to reseed, unless you plan on dormant seeding. Then it's too early.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    It's almost 3 months too late to reseed, unless you plan on dormant seeding. Then it's too early.
    Not really if we keep getting sunny days and rain. A hard freeze will put a stop to it though and that could be any day. We seeded last week and it's up and doing good. We will over seed in the spring.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

My first questions would involve what type of tree, and how close to the surface are the roots. Maples, for example, send out roots very close to the surface, and outcompete the infant grass seedlings. Also, how much soil is in that area, as opposed to tree root mass? I doubt if a reputable brand like Scott's would sell zoisia. Could have Annual ryegrsss as mentioned: very fast germination but not cold weather hardy. But unless the whole bag was annual rye, the whole area wouldn't be dead. Bottom line: could be lots of things. Got any pics? Also, don't confuse annual rye with perennial rye. I am a turfgrass aficionado and OCD about my lawn, but by no means an expert. Here's my perennial rye lawn 3 weeks ago:
    20230919_100200_optimized.jpg

Top Bottom