• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    How do you think that would work with their Sunrider? My wife LOVES her sunrider, and we will likely get one for the JT as well. The only thing we DON'T like is the direct sun all day. Think we could run the mesh targa UNDER the sunrider, and still flip it open/closed?

That's exactly what I bought it for. I'll know when I get the soft top on. I think it will be fine because the front attaches with magnets, so I think you just flip it aside, unclamp the top, fold it, and flip the mesh magnets back into position. I'll be running it both with the soft top sunrider and in the spring/fall with the Sunrider for Hardtop.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    That's exactly what I bought it for. I'll know when I get the soft top on. I think it will be fine because the front attaches with magnets, so I think you just flip it aside, unclamp the top, fold it, and flip the mesh magnets back into position. I'll be running it both with the soft top sunrider and in the spring/fall with the Sunrider for Hardtop.

Update...It works fine. I just pull the magnetic edge off, roll it back a few inches over the top, then I can reach the latches. I leave it that way when the soft top is up. When I open the Sunrider or drop the soft top, I just flip the magnets back into place. Works great!

On another note, does anyone have a take-off JL Rubicon OEM steel front bumper they want to sell? I bashed mine into a 3' high post in a Walmart parking lot. I parked in front of the post, forgot it was there (couldn't see it over the hood) and boom. Dang it.

If you have one or know of someone wanting to sell, let me know. Until I replace it, my Jeep's name is Scar-Face. Ugggh.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Anyone know any shops that do Jeep mods? I'd like to contact them to see if any have a JL Rubi steel front bumper left over from a build. I know about 4wd Parts on the north side of Indy, but are there others around the state, too? I'd be willing to drive about anywhere in IN to get one for the right price.

bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    Anyone know any shops that do Jeep mods? I'd like to contact them to see if any have a JL Rubi steel front bumper left over from a build. I know about 4wd Parts on the north side of Indy, but are there others around the state, too? I'd be willing to drive about anywhere in IN to get one for the right price.

I would not use 4WP. Long story short. they looked at my jeep and told me, I needed unnecessary repairs.
    I would recommend NICS offroad out of bowling green Indiana. He beats everyones prices and he does good work. He installed a dana ultimate 44 with elocker on my jeep for 2500. Have someone just quote you a price on that axle setup alone. I also just bought a set of fox 2.0 shocks from him. he had them overnighted to me for $700 cheaper than anyone online.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I would not use 4WP. Long story short. they looked at my jeep and told me, I needed unnecessary repairs.
    I would recommend NICS offroad out of bowling green Indiana. He beats everyones prices and he does good work. He installed a dana ultimate 44 with elocker on my jeep for 2500. Have someone just quote you a price on that axle setup alone. I also just bought a set of fox 2.0 shocks from him. he had them overnighted to me for $700 cheaper than anyone online.

x2 on nic off-road. They do a lot of work in a local Jeep group jeeps in Facebook I’m on.

if you do Facebook, https://m.facebook.com/nicoffroad/

also look on “wabash valley Jeep junkies” group. It has thousands of members.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

They won't get to touch my Jeep. I'm installing it. I just want to see if they have the bumper I need.

I'll check with Nics. I only need the steel take-off JL Rubi bumper. I'm hoping they have one left over from a build.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have no experience, but I think there is a place called Jeff's Jeep Shop in Brazil, IN. I have seen the name on tire covers and window decals.

I left a message for them.

If anyone knows someone with a take-off, let me know! It isn't really that bad, but I can't stand having a wounded Jeep, unless it is a bumped up skid plate or cross member, Lol!

Thanks for the recs, guys! I checked with Jeffs and they don't have any. I've also checked with Indy Jeep Junkies and am working on joining the Wabash Valley group to see. Nics is checking to see if they have any.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    On another note, does anyone have a take-off JL Rubicon OEM steel front bumper they want to sell? I bashed mine into a 3' high post in a Walmart parking lot. I parked in front of the post, forgot it was there (couldn't see it over the hood) and boom. Dang it.

If you have one or know of someone wanting to sell, let me know. Until I replace it, my Jeep's name is Scar-Face. Ugggh.
    I have my factory rubicon "plastic" bumper for a JL/JT. Just replaced it with a stubby winch bumper. Have it apart and sitting in the garage. Let me know, and we can work a deal. Otherwise, it will sit in the ever-growing "parts bin" for a while.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have my factory rubicon "plastic" bumper for a JL/JT. Just replaced it with a stubby winch bumper. Have it apart and sitting in the garage. Let me know, and we can work a deal. Otherwise, it will sit in the ever-growing "parts bin" for a while.

Lol, I know about that garage parts bin! I need the steel version to work with my winch and winch plate. Thanks, though!

I've got a JL 3.6 muffler sitting in my garage if anyone is interested, too! My wife has twice tried to throw it away, so I look carefully by the trash cans every week!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Guess I should post a picture of the new bumper:
    IagDBgx.jpg

Rugged Ridge stubby. USA made, kept the factory LED fogs, and low-mount winch location. PAIN THE IN ASS to install. Seriously. Thought working on a non-rusty Jeep would be be nice. Still took 10+ hours total. Ended up needing to notch the matching skid (the only made in China part, figures) to clear the rear of the fogs.

Still, looks pretty decent, and was one of 2 bumpers I could find that met all my criteria without looking like it belonged on the Batmobile.

edit: well, that's a terrible picture. I'll snap another in the sun tomorrow.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Finally snapped a pic with some decent light.

ncG2SGo.jpg

And have my first issue to solve.
    i0tBay7.jpg

The lower rear door hinges are getting HAMMERED when I drive on gravel. I had hoped the noise was rocks hitting the rock rails, but at least some are getting up higher and hitting the hinges. I'll have to pull them and sand/paint before they rust. Wondering if there is something I can spray/apply to protect them? Would PlastiKote do anything? I'm sure bedliner material would help. Other ideas?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

ncG2SGo.jpg

i0tBay7.jpg

The lower rear door hinges are getting HAMMERED when I drive on gravel. I had hoped the noise was rocks hitting the rock rails, but at least some are getting up higher and hitting the hinges. I'll have to pull them and sand/paint before they rust. Wondering if there is something I can spray/apply to protect them? Would PlastiKote do anything? I'm sure bedliner material would help. Other ideas?

Nice bumper! I put 3M protective tape over the front edges of the door hinges and it did the trick. Hit them with some touch up paint, let it cure, then cut the tape just to cover that leading edge. Mine came pre-cut, but if I had it to do over again, I'd just get a piece and cut it myself. It doesn't take much and it stays put. Mine are going on 2 years old with no issues.

Btw, update...I ordered a new Mopar steel bumper from allmoparparts.com and they had a much better price than the dealership. I almost bought a takeoff in Wisconsin, but upon closer inspection of the pics, it had scuffs and scratches that mine didn't have before I smashed it. Also, LkQ parts had used ones for more money than I paid for the new one. And they had scuffs/scratches on theirs, too. So, hopefully it'll ship soon and I'll have the Jeep back to 100%.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Gratuitous poser pic.

lxDnJZl.jpg

That thing is pure badass!

I'm starting to get the itch for another Jeep trip. Thinking of a 3 day hop to Drummond Island. It keeps calling me.

Btw, got a new Mopar bumper to replace the original that I bashed. It'll be going on sometime this week, then time for a wash and maybe a poser shot, too!

Love the Gladiator!

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside

ncG2SGo.jpg

i0tBay7.jpg

I have some Expel clear rocker panel guard left over from when I did the rocker panels of my Silverado. It went on easy on my rocker panels but could be a paint to get wrapped around the hinges. It goes on like window tint. I'm also in Brownsburg and could give you some to try out.

https://www.amazon.com/XPEL-Clear-U...anel+guard&qid=1592796118&s=automotive&sr=1-6

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have some Expel clear rocker panel guard left over from when I did the rocker panels of my Silverado. It went on easy on my rocker panels but could be a paint to get wrapped around the hinges. It goes on like window tint. I'm also in Brownsburg and could give you some to try out.

https://www.amazon.com/XPEL-Clear-U...anel+guard&qid=1592796118&s=automotive&sr=1-6

HA! Figures. I ordered some of the 3M stuff last night. Should be here tomorrow, and I'll give it a shot. Might glean up the dings with touch-up paint tonight so it has 24 hours to dry. Got enough of the film to to the door edges, too. We'll see how it looks. Thanks for the offer!

I'm starting to get the itch for another Jeep trip. Thinking of a 3 day hop to Drummond Island. It keeps calling me.
    We are heading down to Cumberland Falls in southern KY next week. Will spend a couple of days on the Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) and a couple of days hiking around the falls. Tempted to take my fly rod along.

KAT:
    http://annessky.net/kat/

And, Speaking of Michigan... we'll be up at the Silver Lake Jeep Invasion in September. It was originally scheduled in May/June, but got corona'd. Gladiator should be a hoot in the sand, and I'm looking forward to some of the local back-road trails.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    HA! Figures. I ordered some of the 3M stuff last night. Should be here tomorrow, and I'll give it a shot. Might glean up the dings with touch-up paint tonight so it has 24 hours to dry. Got enough of the film to to the door edges, too. We'll see how it looks. Thanks for the offer!

We are heading down to Cumberland Falls in southern KY next week. Will spend a couple of days on the Kentucky Adventure Trail (KAT) and a couple of days hiking around the falls. Tempted to take my fly rod along.

KAT:

And, Speaking of Michigan... we'll be up at the Silver Lake Jeep Invasion in September. It was originally scheduled in May/June, but got corona'd. Gladiator should be a hoot in the sand, and I'm looking forward to some of the local back-road trails.

That sounds great! I've been in that area of KY but haven't heard of the KAT. I may have to check that out!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

KAT:

I'm in the Indy Jeep Junkies Facebook group and am looking at a trip to the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway at the end of July. It runs around the Red River Gorge area. I wonder if it overlaps, crosses, or runs along any part of the KAT? Anyway, the group does some great montly trips. I've been on a couple, including to an off-road park in Kentucky that was just a great trip. They are doing Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes this weekend. They do some big trips occasionally, too. They were planning Moab at one point until Covid bent the plans. Anyway, they are a good bunch and if you ever think about joining, I'll be your reference. I think we have a couple Gladiators in the group now, too.

Top Bottom