• eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, that didn't take long.
    SolvI2J.jpg

It now extends from the far left to about the center of my vision. Sigh...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Well, that didn't take long.
    SolvI2J.jpg

It now extends from the far left to about the center of my vision. Sigh...

I feel like the JL/JT has brittle glass. My JL is on its 3rd windshield. However, the latest one seemst to be more normal. It has taken a couple rocks and just chipped instead of cracking. My old JK has only had one windshield replaced in its 140k miles/13 years.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I feel like the JL/JT has brittle glass. My JL is on its 3rd windshield. However, the latest one seemst to be more normal. It has taken a couple rocks and just chipped instead of cracking. My old JK has only had one windshield replaced in its 140k miles/13 years.

Could be that they coated it differently. Overall it just seems flat windshields like the Jeeps and that on my FJ seem to not like much debris impact since it doesn't have much of a chance of just glancing off of it.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Could be that they coated it differently. Overall it just seems flat windshields like the Jeeps and that on my FJ seem to not like much debris impact since it doesn't have much of a chance of just glancing off of it.

Certainly flat windshields could play into it, but I'm comparing flat to flat. YJ: No lost winshields in 10 years, 2 rock strike repairs, JK: 1 replaced windshield in 13 years, from a large impact, probably 5 rock strike repairs, and the JL: I replaced 2 windshields in the 1st year of ownership with lighter rock strikes that didn't seem as hard as ones the JK or YJ shrugged off. Both times, the next morning they went from small impacts to huge cracks. So, 270k miles combined on the YJ/JK over 23 years and 1 windshield vs. 2 in 12k or so on the JL. I'd call it bad luck, if not for being on Jeep forums where it appears to be a pattern with the JL and not the JK. And remember, the JL/JT windshield is more sloped than the JK or YJ (or TJ for that matter).

If I lose another, I'm going with HGP - Hyperformance Glass Products | Advancing Technology through Transparency . Mopar was supposed to offer a Gorilla Glass replacement like they have on the JK, but it has been delayed again and again.

Check out this thread and you'll see what appears to be a pattern with the OEM windshields. Like I said, though, my newest one has taken some hits that were as bad or worse than the ones that took out the other 2, and in each case it has just barely chipped. So maybe they've improved them or I got lucky and got one that was defective, LOL!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cracked-windshield-club.5935/ One of the most recent posters is on his 3rd windshield in 25k. I think mine was within 12k or so, IIRC. It is common to find this.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Certainly flat windshields could play into it, but I'm comparing flat to flat. YJ: No lost winshields in 10 years, 2 rock strike repairs, JK: 1 replaced windshield in 13 years, from a large impact, probably 5 rock strike repairs, and the JL: I replaced 2 windshields in the 1st year of ownership with lighter rock strikes that didn't seem as hard as ones the JK or YJ shrugged off. Both times, the next morning they went from small impacts to huge cracks. So, 270k miles combined on the YJ/JK over 23 years and 1 windshield vs. 2 in 12k or so on the JL. I'd call it bad luck, if not for being on Jeep forums where it appears to be a pattern with the JL and not the JK. And remember, the JL/JT windshield is more sloped than the JK or YJ (or TJ for that matter).

If I lose another, I'm going with HGP - Hyperformance Glass Products | Advancing Technology through Transparency . Mopar was supposed to offer a Gorilla Glass replacement like they have on the JK, but it has been delayed again and again.

Check out this thread and you'll see what appears to be a pattern with the OEM windshields. Like I said, though, my newest one has taken some hits that were as bad or worse than the ones that took out the other 2, and in each case it has just barely chipped. So maybe they've improved them or I got lucky and got one that was defective, LOL!

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cracked-windshield-club.5935/ One of the most recent posters is on his 3rd windshield in 25k. I think mine was within 12k or so, IIRC. It is common to find this.
    Maybe they expected us to have the windshield folded down more!?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Understood. I'm sure they went with a lower cost glass.

Maybe they expected us to have the windshield folded down more!?

I'm guessing they just went with a lower cost glass to save a few $ and not impact other specs.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Understood. I'm sure they went with a lower cost glass.

I'm guessing they just went with a lower cost glass to save a few $ and not impact other specs.

Maybe, or just didn't get the chemistry right. I really think the latest one might be better. Got two rock chips on the trip to and from Drummond Island. It seemed to handle them better than the first two.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Had a minor issue while wheeling Drummond Island Monday. The nut on the front passenger side sway bar drop link backed out and came off. The sway bar then, with all the articulation and movement, flattened out the threads. I had run with the sway bar disconnected (electronically) all day and saw that it wasn't reconnecting. While waiting for the ferry back to De Tour Village, I looked around to see if anything was visually evident and spotted the culprit. I was able to put the sway bar back over the stud and reconnect it. It stayed put, somehow. I then ordered a new drop link and nut from Westgate Jeep and it came in the next day. Took about 10 minutes to install it. I put blue Loc-Tite on it and torqued it nice and tight. These are now on my oil change check list. When the lift was first installed, I found the driver side to be loose, so I torqued it down. I don't remember doing more than a visual inspection of the passenger side, so that was an error. I should have torqued it then.

fOLVA2U.jpg

And now the nice new part. She's now ready for the next adventure!

x07mMKW.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Speaking of Drummond Island, it was a great trip! Earned a Jeep Badge of Honor, too! There were some rocks, some mud holes, deeply rutted trails, and very tight quarters at times in the trees. It was LOTS of fun! We'll definitely be going back! Here are a few pics.

This is the ferry ride. It only took maybe 10 minutes. It was a blast and just a gorgeous day!

j7k0cKI.jpg

Getting into the first mud holes on the trail....
    MLFngZK.jpg

The trail took a neat turn onto a rocky beach. The rocks were smooth, small, loose, and deep. I thought we might actually struggle for traction, but I was aired down to 20psi and just a little forward momentum kept us on top of them. I'll share a short video from my drone of where the high water put some of the trail under water. We were able to make it easily, though, without getting too deep.
    Fz8VN0Q.jpg
    We stopped for lunch. The kids were having a blast. There were several big frogs in the mud hole that had them fascinated! One nice thing: No cell coverage on most of the island. The kids couldn't bury their noses in those darned phones! So they discovered this beautiful island and the fun of off-roading! Lol!
    bBEvOhX.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Here's a cool little drone video of us on the beach. I'll try and get the full res stuff up in a bit. Gotta get the memory card off the drone. This is the best I can do from the phone....

[video=youtube_share;YCPM1OrOezM]https://youtu.be/YCPM1OrOezM[/video]

Studio 417

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Somewhere
    We have a GCWK2 Overland. Not a trail rig, but being our first ever Jeep, we love it. The stock Pirellis are junk, and once they wear out, we will be getting something much better.

A week after we purchased it, both batteries died, and a few months after that, the sunroof motor died. Haven't had any problems since, and we are considering a Limited, since they have the standard suspension. Then we can lift it and get muddy.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    We have a GCWK2 Overland. Not a trail rig, but being our first ever Jeep, we love it. The stock Pirellis are junk, and once they wear out, we will be getting something much better.

A week after we purchased it, both batteries died, and a few months after that, the sunroof motor died. Haven't had any problems since, and we are considering a Limited, since they have the standard suspension. Then we can lift it and get muddy.

Love the GC's. Post up some pics!

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Well, the rollbar saved my wife life yesterday. A kid ran a stop sign and t-boned us, shoving us right into that pole. Look close and you can see the roof caved to the bar
    yFWghjfl.jpg

Top Bottom