• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    She's all cleaned up. But I still have 2 issues to fix. 1 is a CEL code that appears to be a bad O2 sensor? It says the heater for the 02 sensor isn't working. Never heard of that before. I guess they have to pre-heat until the engine warms up??? It just got 2 new cat converters (ouch) and so maybe they knocked a wire loose or something.

Then I've got a bunch of warning lights indicating a bad ABS module. Uggh.
    PXL_20210809_003817622.jpg

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    @Principal Skinr, I wish you were my neighbor! That stinks on chasing down the sensor issues, good luck with that. I'm guessing clearing the codes and disconnecting the battery didn't do the trick?

I did a fluid change in both my differentials on the JLU Willys last week. I was briefly under water on both for the last Brown County overlanding trip (lots of rain and traversing some flooded back roads). No water in the diffs, but surprised at the second rear change that there was still some shaving gunk an the magnet. Guys - do this simple bit of maintenance. On JK and JL models it's truly easier than an oil change.

Unless I submerge the diffs again I'll do this at least once a year.

Boy do I love those Valvoline synthetic squeeze bags. Makes changing the fluid so much easier, especially on tbe front.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    @Principal Skinr, I wish you were my neighbor! That stinks on chasing down the sensor issues, good luck with that. I'm guessing clearing the codes and disconnecting the battery didn't do the trick?

I did a fluid change in both my differentials on the JLU Willys last week. I was briefly under water on both for the last Brown County overlanding trip (lots of rain and traversing some flooded back roads). No water in the diffs, but surprised at the second rear change that there was still some shaving gunk an the magnet. Guys - do this simple bit of maintenance. On JK and JL models it's truly easier than an oil change.

Boy do I love those Valvoline synthetic squeeze bags. Makes changing the fluid so much easier, especially on tbe front.
    I've cleared the codes and they came back. But I've not disconnected the battery. Good idea! I'll give that a try tomorrow!

Those squeeze bags are the BEST!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

Well, today the ABS lights disappeared and everything is working normally. I don't know if it is related to spraying DeOxit on the contacts a week or so ago or if removing and disabling the sway bar disco and light had something to do with it. Or if it just shook off a glitch that may have caused it. I'm just glad everything is working now and at least for the moment, I'm not out $200 to $600.

Next up will be figuring out the CEL.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    And the addiction begins! Lol! Can't wait to see what you find!
    Went and looked at my first TJ last night with the intent on buying it. Left empty handed though, except for the money took to do the deal. The guy had coated the underbody which turns out he did to hide some rust. It had a rear main seal leak. Also appeared to be leaking around the transfer case. Suspension toe was off and tires were worn uneven and drove rough over 40 mph. Oh well though...on to the next one!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Went and looked at my first TJ last night with the intent on buying it. Left empty handed though, except for the money took to do the deal. The guy had coated the underbody which turns out he did to hide some rust. It had a rear main seal leak. Also appeared to be leaking around the transfer case. Suspension toe was off and tires were worn uneven and drove rough over 40 mph. Oh well though...on to the next one!
    It's worth the work to find the right one!

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    I am starting to consider the modifications on my JK Sahara. I am debating on a spacer leveling kit or a 2.5” lift kit. I would prefer the MOPAR kit but it doesn’t seem to be in stock in most places. At the same time I want to replace the shocks as the originals are still on it and after 100k probably need to be replaced. I’m thinking of only going to 33’s as that would probably be enough for my needs. I hope to do some light wheeling to begin with and have as a weekend vehicle. Other things I plan to change are the stock stereo and bumpers. Any advice would be great. After watching several videos I think I can do much of this myself.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I am starting to consider the modifications on my JK Sahara. I am debating on a spacer leveling kit or a 2.5” lift kit. I would prefer the MOPAR kit but it doesn’t seem to be in stock in most places. At the same time I want to replace the shocks as the originals are still on it and after 100k probably need to be replaced. I’m thinking of only going to 33’s as that would probably be enough for my needs. I hope to do some light wheeling to begin with and have as a weekend vehicle. Other things I plan to change are the stock stereo and bumpers. Any advice would be great. After watching several videos I think I can do much of this myself.
    I ran a 2" spacer lift with shock extensions on my JK for years and it performed well. Same with 33's. I swapped it out, due to age mainly, to a 2.5" AEV Dualsport. I stuck with the 33's because its quite capable with them. I took it to Moab in 2015 on 33's and with the spacer lift and it performed exceptionally well.

33's give you good clearance but aren't so big as to sap much power. They are really a perfect compromise, IMO.

Looking forward to seeing it come together for you!

Last edited:

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    I ran a 2" spacer lift with shock extensions on my JK for years and it performed well. Same with 33's. I swapped it out, due to age mainly, to a 2.5" AEV Dualsport. I stuck with the 33's because its quite capable with them. I took it to Moab in 2015 on 33's and with the spacer lift and it performed exceptionally well.

33's give you good clearance but aren't so big as to sap much power. They are really a perfect compromise, IMO.

Looking forward to seeing it come together for you!
    I appreciate it! I’m going to try and take it slowly on the build but knowing myself I’ll probably go all in as finances permit

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    Anyone have recommendations for powder coating, preferably on the south side? I bought a CavFab tire carrier and it comes in raw steel. I have a friend that can do bed liner, but didn't particularly want that texture on something that touches my paint.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Anyone have recommendations for powder coating, preferably on the south side? I bought a CavFab tire carrier and it comes in raw steel. I have a friend that can do bed liner, but didn't particularly want that texture on something that touches my paint.
    Indy Powder Coating does an an amazing job. Have used them for 2 different Harley builds. 2.5 hr drive for me and it’s worth it. Give them a shout.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Tried to buy a TJ last night but the guy wouldn't budge on his price but $500, even though it needed some work. Needed a full front brake job, new exhaust manifold (either had a hole in the manifold or a bad/failed gasket), and new windshield. Also had a rear pinion seal leak, and the driver side rear drum had a slight leak too. There was other cosmetic blemishes and a few other things that needed attention too. I was willing to tackle this TJ and made an offer but the guy wouldn't budge. We were $800 apart but I was at my max budget.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Bought an 04' and pick it up here soon. Needs a little work but out of all the ones i've looked at it's been the nicest so far. Pics coming soon...

Edit: Picked up my 04' this evening. Best one I've looked at so far, minimal rust and clean, inside and out. New Bestop soft top, full doors, aftermarket front and rear bumpers w/ winch, 5 matching wheels and tires, 3.5" lift on newer 33" BFG AT KO2's, neoprene seat covers, LED headlight, LED light bar.
    20210830_185701.jpg

20210830_185652.jpg

Last edited:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Bought an 04' and pick it up here soon. Needs a little work but out of all the ones i've looked at it's been the nicest so far. Pics coming soon...

Edit: Picked up my 04' this evening. Best one I've looked at so far, minimal rust and clean, inside and out. New Bestop soft top, full doors, aftermarket front and rear bumpers w/ winch, 5 matching wheels and tires, 3.5" lift on newer 33" BFG AT KO2's, neoprene seat covers, LED headlight, LED light bar.
    View attachment 156068

View attachment 156069
    Looks nice!!!! 4.0? miles??

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville

View attachment 156068

View attachment 156069
    Very nice, has everything on it I’m wanting to do to mine

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Finally got the JK fixed (New cats, O2 sensor, engine mount) and back on the trail. My daughter, her boyfriend and two of our younger girls took both Jeeps down to Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky for a day of fun off-roading. We intended for it to be a somewhat mild day so that my daughter and her beau, both of whom just learned to drive a manual transmission, could learn the basics of off-roading. Well, we met a great couple who were over from the St. Louis area with a nicely built 2018 JK and we decided to explore. We wound up on some very tough trails with some hill climbs after dark that were pretty high on the pucker factor. So my daughter's boyfriend had to learn fast, and he did a great job. Only on 2 hills where I struggled to climb with the JL (lockers locked, too!) did I jump in the JK to pilot it. The rest he did himself and my daughter did some mild trails and built her confidence.

So, the best parts of the weekend....The JK on 33's did everything the other JK and JL did on 35s, with little struggle. We were aired down to about 18psi, as I didn't want to give up much clearance on the JK. Our new friend's JK and my JL are both running 35" mud tires (BFG KM3 and General Grabber X3, respectively). The JK was on 40% worn 33" KO2's. Well, the KO2's impressed, even in the mud. They caked up a couple of times and had to have the throttle blipped to clear the mud, but they held their own, for sure, even on the slipperiest hill climbs. So hat's off to that tire. I was running 35" KO2's before on the JL and was impressed then, but they really surprised us in this side by side comparison on the same trails.

Anyway, other than a snapped E-brake cable, the JK performed flawlessly. I'll fix that quickly and am going to install the geometry correction brackets I've had laying around awhile, then she's ready for the big trip to VT/NH/ME in about a month.

Lunch on the beach before we got into the mud.
    TurkeyBayJeepsBeach1.jpg

This pic looks mild, but it was actually a steep hill. Not a hard one, but steep. It's funny how pics never show how steep hills are. Lol.
    PXL_20210905_182551532.jpg

Caked KO2's

TurkeyBay9-5-21JK.jpg

Top Bottom