• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I picked up the JL last night and have sampled the new 4.56 gearing. I'm still breaking it in, so I haven't been able to really put it through its paces, but the initial impression is that it is a VERY nice improvement. While 4.10 to 4.56 isn't huge, it helps the 3.6 which likes to rev. 6th gear is night and day better, and it pulls 5th with authority. 1st is a bit shorter and you can feel it, but is still very driveable. Overall, the Jeep feels lighter and certainly quicker on its feet. ONce I get 200 miles on it I'll start to get after it harder and will know for sure how much it improved. But I'm loving what I feel so far!

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    I'm back in the game with Jeep number three. I've always loved the CJ5 and the family has been talking about getting one to putz around town in. When this one popped up I couldn't not buy it. 1977 with a 304ci V8 & a three speed installed and basically locked in 3rd gear as well as a 5 speed which was included with the purchase. Brakes barely work, the power steering is non existent and I've smoked the cluth a couple time starting in 3rd gear but I still love it.
    Take the top cover off of the trans and check to see if the shift fork 'jumped' the sleeve. Easy fix, no $$ required.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    I rigged up a set of limb risers as my first mod. Nobody made a kit specifically for the JL and I wasn't too keen on drilling into my cab so I repurposed a light bar mount. The mounts down on the hood latches are actually meant for an XJ. The wire kit came with ones for a JK along with the XJ ones, but they weren't tall enough.

IMG_5423.JPG

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Take the top cover off of the trans and check to see if the shift fork 'jumped' the sleeve. Easy fix, no $$ required.
    I appreciate it but I'm hoping the 5 speed will make it a little more drivable. As it sits now it's geared extremely low, like 45mph top speed unless you really wind it out. I had a neighbor recommend a local guy, I'm taking it over to him Wednesday for the swap.

On a side note, are there any shops in central Indiana that carry a lot of parts for the CJs? My steering shaft bearing is shot and if I can replace it I think the steering will be significantly improved. Just don't want to wait for one to ship if I can grab one within driving distance.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    On a side note, are there any shops in central Indiana that carry a lot of parts for the CJs? My steering shaft bearing is shot and if I can replace it I think the steering will be significantly improved. Just don't want to wait for one to ship if I can grab one within driving distance.
    Napa is likely your best bet for most things. Though, I have been able to get a lot of oddball parts from O'Reilly, as their warehouse is right here in Brownsburg. I pick stuff up from Will Call.

Side side note: I replaced my CJ's steering shaft with an aftermarket version. It uses small u-joints and a real slip-joint, rather than the stock rag joint. Significantly less slop in the steering.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Napa is likely your best bet for most things. Though, I have been able to get a lot of oddball parts from O'Reilly, as their warehouse is right here in Brownsburg. I pick stuff up from Will Call.

Side side note: I replaced my CJ's steering shaft with an aftermarket version. It uses small u-joints and a real slip-joint, rather than the stock rag joint. Significantly less slop in the steering.
    Thanks for the info! I'm looking at a replacement shaft myself, I'll definitely be replacing it once I get the running/driving/stopping situation sorted out. I'd imagine I'll be replacing most of the components on this thing eventually but it'll happen over a lengthy period of time.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks for the info! I'm looking at a replacement shaft myself, I'll definitely be replacing it once I get the running/driving/stopping situation sorted out. I'd imagine I'll be replacing most of the components on this thing eventually but it'll happen over a lengthy period of time.
    Found the one I used:

I'll follow along with your build/rebuild. I've got 2 CJ's myself right now that are needing some love, and a garage full of crap parts.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I completed the break-in and have over 200 miles on the new 4.56 rings/pinions in the JL. So, I've run it hard, putting it to the test to see how she likes it. The verdict? It's perfect! 1st gear is very noticeably shorter, but not too much so. It is certainly as short as I'd want it to be. It is even quicker off the line (it was pretty quick before). I've not been in 4 low yet, but until I do the actual math, I'm guessing about 90:1 craw ratio, or maybe a little better. That should be fun. It rips through the rest of the gears and just feels quick as heck. The engine loves to rev and gets to do a little more of it now, with less effort. 5th and 6th are absolutely perfect. 55 is just over 2k rpm in 5th, which is just right and offers nice acceleration from there. It can actually do just fine in 6th at 55 and accelerate without lugging. The best part is that 75mph is just under 2500rpm. I'd say 2450 or 2475. I can tell the engine is just not working so hard and I can accelerate mildly and pass with no problem without downshifting. Dropping to 5th produces quick, effortless passes. So I think it will pull 6th up hills and shrug off headwinds, which it could not do before. The best part? In every day driving, It appears I'm getting about 1/2 mpg better than before. I'm betting 3/4 to 1 mpg on a long highway run in 6th, again, because the engine is in a better place in the power band and just isn't working as hard.

Overall, I think 4.56 hit the bullseye with 35's, for the JL's manual transmission gear ratios. I'm 100% thrilled with it. If anyone is looking at doing this but going to 37's, I'd recommend 4.88's

Next up is a gear oil change at about 1k or 2k miles to get the initial wear metal out of there.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Nice report. I forgot you had a manual 6-speed.

I am running 35's on the Gladiator with 4.10s and the 8-speed automatic. Looks like your and my 1st gear ratios are nearly the same. The auto has one more gear before it hits 1:1 (your 5th and my 6th). The auto also has two overdrives. Even with my combo (35s, 4.10s, 0.67 overdrive) performance is pretty respectable, and the JT still uses 8th on the interstate.

Comparison
    1st4.464.71
    2nd2.613.14
    3rd1.722.10
    4th1.251.67
    5th1:11.29
    6th0.841:1
    7th0.84
    8th0.67

If/when I jump to 37s, I see moving up to even 4.88 gears. With the double overdrive, highway RPM should still be perfectly fine.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Nice report. I forgot you had a manual 6-speed.

I am running 35's on the Gladiator with 4.10s and the 8-speed automatic. Looks like your and my 1st gear ratios are nearly the same. The auto has one more gear before it hits 1:1 (your 5th and my 6th). The auto also has two overdrives. Even with my combo (35s, 4.10s, 0.67 overdrive) performance is pretty respectable, and the JT still uses 8th on the interstate.

Comparison
    1st4.464.71
    2nd2.613.14
    3rd1.722.10
    4th1.251.67
    5th1:11.29
    6th0.841:1
    7th0.84
    8th0.67

If/when I jump to 37s, I see moving up to even 4.88 gears. With the double overdrive, highway RPM should still be perfectly fine.

I think those are JK ratios for the 6 speed. These are the JL ratios. Two overdrives here, too, which I really don't understand for the 6 speed. If it had 7, I could probably see it. It's really something to see how short 1st is and how tall 6th is, lol.
    • 1st - 5.13
    • 2nd - 2.63
    • 3rd - 1.53
    • 4th - 1.00
    • 5th - 0.81
    • 6th - 0.72
    I've talked to guys with Gladiators and Wranglers on 37's, both manual and auto, and they say 4.88 is the way to go. They love them and say the same thing....8th gear become much more usable on the highway.

My brother has the same setup as you with the auto and 35's. It does very well, but he's rarely in 8th gear. That's the way the manual was with 4.10's. It was fine but I found myself in 5th gear on the highway much of the time.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I completed the break-in and have over 200 miles on the new 4.56 rings/pinions in the JL. So, I've run it hard, putting it to the test to see how she likes it. The verdict? It's perfect! 1st gear is very noticeably shorter, but not too much so. It is certainly as short as I'd want it to be. It is even quicker off the line (it was pretty quick before). I've not been in 4 low yet, but until I do the actual math, I'm guessing about 90:1 craw ratio, or maybe a little better. That should be fun. It rips through the rest of the gears and just feels quick as heck. The engine loves to rev and gets to do a little more of it now, with less effort. 5th and 6th are absolutely perfect. 55 is just over 2k rpm in 5th, which is just right and offers nice acceleration from there. It can actually do just fine in 6th at 55 and accelerate without lugging. The best part is that 75mph is just under 2500rpm. I'd say 2450 or 2475. I can tell the engine is just not working so hard and I can accelerate mildly and pass with no problem without downshifting. Dropping to 5th produces quick, effortless passes. So I think it will pull 6th up hills and shrug off headwinds, which it could not do before. The best part? In every day driving, It appears I'm getting about 1/2 mpg better than before. I'm betting 3/4 to 1 mpg on a long highway run in 6th, again, because the engine is in a better place in the power band and just isn't working as hard.

Overall, I think 4.56 hit the bullseye with 35's, for the JL's manual transmission gear ratios. I'm 100% thrilled with it. If anyone is looking at doing this but going to 37's, I'd recommend 4.88's

Next up is a gear oil change at about 1k or 2k miles to get the initial wear metal out of there.
    You said "quick" and "Jeep" in the same post. I don't understand.

Seriously though, my Jeep is anything but quick. It's a JK with a 6 sp manual, and I was thinking about installing a small lift and 33's, but I'm afraid of it just getting slower.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    You said "quick" and "Jeep" in the same post. I don't understand.

Seriously though, my Jeep is anything but quick. It's a JK with a 6 sp manual, and I was thinking about installing a small lift and 33's, but I'm afraid of it just getting slower.
    I think it'd be fine with 33's. My Jk has 33's and the 6 speed and does very well. It has 4.10 gears, but I think it'd be fine even if it had 3.73 gears. And you can do a lot with 33's.

Lol, quick and Jeep is an oxymoron, but that dang thing IS quick! I felt is was pretty good before, but it just feels great with the 4.56's, manual, and that V6. The transmission feels really good, too. Everyone who has driven it since the re-gear has said they were shocked at how strong it feels. The whole package has hit the sweet spot to bring the best out of that Pentastar.

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    I just entered the Jeep world today. I purchased a 2013 JK Sahara. I’m still trying to figure out where I want this build to go. It will probably be a long drawn out process. Looking at the different websites I’m a bit overwhelmed by the amount of accessories and modifications that can be added. And I thought there was a lot to go onto an AR.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I just entered the Jeep world today. I purchased a 2013 JK Sahara. I’m still trying to figure out where I want this build to go. It will probably be a long drawn out process. Looking at the different websites I’m a bit overwhelmed by the amount of accessories and modifications that can be added. And I thought there was a lot to go onto an AR.
    And just like your ARs, your Jeep will never be finished! Lol!

Congrats! Let's see some pics!

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    And just like your ARs, your Jeep will never be finished! Lol!

Congrats! Let's see some pics!
    83ECD6EC-8B30-4ADC-93F4-93C9084919D2.jpeg E62811CB-AB8D-470A-97C8-47655996FC62.jpeg 4DA72513-7BB5-43F2-8E42-7E522B298727.jpeg Here are a few pics of the new to me JK. It’s pretty much the same way it came off the showroom floor when new. The only additions are the grab handles. I was able to print off the original window sticker and everything appears to be factory. I’ve got new tires on order as part of the purchase that I’ll keep on it for a while.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Gave the JK some attention today. Last year, I replaced the front sway bar, including the disconnect system and actuator. The old one had been corroded, so I cleaned it out and refurbished it and it worked for another couple years before siezing up again. So I replaced it with one out of a 2015 Rubicon that had only been on there for a few thousand miles. LIke new. It worked like new for about 10 months, then stopped disconnecting.

PXL_20210808_200837194.jpg

So today, I took it off and checked it. Sure enough, the actuator failed. It just buzzes when the button is pushed, but doesn't extend the plunger. So I put on a manual actuator, which is pretty simple. It is just a knob. You twist clockwise until it stops and the sway bar disconnects. Turn it counter-clockwise, and it reconnects. Simple! I hate losing the dash switch, but this will be more reliable, for sure. If I stumble across a new actuator for only a little money, then I may re-activate the switch, but I think this will serve just fine and will likely be there for the rest of its life.

PXL_20210808_190120589.jpg

I then installed a new Rugged Ridge steering component skid plate. This thing is nice and thick and has a VERY nice textured powder coat finish on it.

PXL_20210808_200858970.jpg
    PXL_20210808_202256304.jpg
    PXL_20210808_202657638.jpg
    So the JK face lift is nearly complete! It included the following:

• 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT Lift w/ Bilstien 5100 shocks. (replaced 2" AEV spacer lift)
    • 1/2" front spacers to compensate for the weight of the winch.
    • Rough Country adjustable front track bar.
    • Rugged Ridge Arcus front bumper.
    • Smittybilt XRC9500 winch. (Replaced Engo 10k winch)
    • Rugged Ridge Spartan rear bumper.
    • Magnaflow axle-back exhaust
    • Repaired hole in driver seat upholstery
    • Rugged Ridge steering component skid plate.
    • New LED A-pillar spot lights w/ amber running lights.
    • JL hood latches to stop hood flutter that happens on the highway. It began when the new lift leveled the Jeep and wind started getting under the hood lip. Problem solved!
    There might be 1 or 2 minor things I've forgotten, so I'll update if I think of them. The last piece will be AEV geometry correction brackets, which will go on there very soon. Then it is done and ready for a test run at Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes, then the big trip: VT/NH/ME parts of the Appalachian Byway in October!

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    Gave the JK some attention today. Last year, I replaced the front sway bar, including the disconnect system and actuator. The old one had been corroded, so I cleaned it out and refurbished it and it worked for another couple years before siezing up again. So I replaced it with one out of a 2015 Rubicon that had only been on there for a few thousand miles. LIke new. It worked like new for about 10 months, then stopped disconnecting.

View attachment 152014

So today, I took it off and checked it. Sure enough, the actuator failed. It just buzzes when the button is pushed, but doesn't extend the plunger. So I put on a manual actuator, which is pretty simple. It is just a knob. You twist clockwise until it stops and the sway bar disconnects. Turn it counter-clockwise, and it reconnects. Simple! I hate losing the dash switch, but this will be more reliable, for sure. If I stumble across a new actuator for only a little money, then I may re-activate the switch, but I think this will serve just fine and will likely be there for the rest of its life.

View attachment 152015

I then installed a new Rugged Ridge steering component skid plate. This thing is nice and thick and has a VERY nice textured powder coat finish on it.

View attachment 152017
    View attachment 152018
    View attachment 152020
    So the JK face lift is nearly complete! It included the following:

• 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT Lift w/ Bilstien 5100 shocks. (replaced 2" AEV spacer lift)
    • 1/2" front spacers to compensate for the weight of the winch.
    • Rough Country adjustable front track bar.
    • Rugged Ridge Arcus front bumper.
    • Smittybilt XRC9500 winch. (Replaced Engo 10k winch)
    • Rugged Ridge Spartan rear bumper.
    • Magnaflow axle-back exhaust
    • Repaired hole in driver seat upholstery
    • Rugged Ridge steering component skid plate.
    • New LED A-pillar spot lights w/ amber running lights.
    • JL hood latches to stop hood flutter that happens on the highway. It began when the new lift leveled the Jeep and wind started getting under the hood lip. Problem solved!
    There might be 1 or 2 minor things I've forgotten, so I'll update if I think of them. The last piece will be AEV geometry correction brackets, which will go on there very soon. Then it is done and ready for a test run at Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes, then the big trip: VT/NH/ME parts of the Appalachian Byway in October!
    You are giving me way to many ideas! This looks like a great basis for the direction I’m leaning with mine

Top Bottom