• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    Awesome to hear about Turkey Bay. I saw it pop up in the Jeep Badge of Honor app when looking for potential trips. Is it close enough for a day trip or would it be more of a weekend thing?

My wheels, tires, and rock sliders finally came in. I put my stock wheels/tires on my girlfriend’s JL sport and I feel they’re much better there than on a rubicon. I’ll have the stock rubicon rails posted up for sale soon and the low mileage stock JL Sport wheels/tires too if anyone is interested.
    BF613D16-E5A3-40FC-BB6B-80A0FAFACBF7.jpeg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Awesome to hear about Turkey Bay. I saw it pop up in the Jeep Badge of Honor app when looking for potential trips. Is it close enough for a day trip or would it be more of a weekend thing?

My wheels, tires, and rock sliders finally came in. I put my stock wheels/tires on my girlfriend’s JL sport and I feel they’re much better there than on a rubicon. I’ll have the stock rubicon rails posted up for sale soon and the low mileage stock JL Sport wheels/tires too if anyone is interested.
    View attachment 158166

It's about 4 hours away. It'd be a VERY long day, but could be done. Typically we've gone down on Friday night, wheeled early morning to dusk, then home around midnight or so. This time, we stayed on the trail too late and wound up staying another night.

Great Jeep, btw!!!

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    So I've had the jeep about 3 weeks now, and I'm loving Jeep life. I've had her naked since the day I got her. It's got a few issues and threw a CEL within the first couple days that I drove it. Buddy of mine checked the code with his scanner and it was a P0432 (Main Catalyst) code, which the guy that I bought it from said that it threw codes for O2 sensors from time to time. Thinking it may be a clogged cat due to top end power being horrible or gearing? The Jeep struggles to run 65 mph on the highway, but then again it could be due to the gears being stock? The guy I bought it from didn't know what gears were in it and didn't have the service history. It's got 33" tires on a 3.5" lift so definitely could be stock gears causing performance issues. In 4th gear I can run 65 mph at 2,800 RPMs but that's about it; even mashing the pedal down it won't go much higher.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    So I've had the jeep about 3 weeks now, and I'm loving Jeep life. I've had her naked since the day I got her. It's got a few issues and threw a CEL within the first couple days that I drove it. Buddy of mine checked the code with his scanner and it was a P0432 (Main Catalyst) code, which the guy that I bought it from said that it threw codes for O2 sensors from time to time. Thinking it may be a clogged cat due to top end power being horrible or gearing? The Jeep struggles to run 65 mph on the highway, but then again it could be due to the gears being stock? The guy I bought it from didn't know what gears were in it and didn't have the service history. It's got 33" tires on a 3.5" lift so definitely could be stock gears causing performance issues. In 4th gear I can run 65 mph at 2,800 RPMs but that's about it; even mashing the pedal down it won't go much higher.
    I don't know how old it is but I had a Jeep that after many years and many miles had a converter that wend bad and was impeding the exhaust flow. Really impacted the power. Mechanic removed it. performed better. Maybe youo need a new CC?

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    33” tires really aren’t that big. Even with stock gearing you shouldn’t be having those troubles. Definitely seems like either a bad cat or a bad o2 sensor causing your some troubles.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Well, I'm at home trying to nurse my wife through a terrible battle with Covid, so time for a Jeep update!

I'm upgrading the communications in both the JK and JL. First up was the JK with a new Radioddity DB-25-G 25 watt GMRS radio. From what I've seen, it actually puts out 20w, but that's still good. I picked it up on Amazon during a sale for $100. I have been running Midlands, which are good, but as I've learned about GMRS, I found they are narrow band and that wide band is what most others use. So that's why my Midlands didn't play well with some other radios out there. This radio can be switched between wide and narrow and communicates VERY well with the Midland MXT275 in my JL. But that one is going bye-bye soon, too. I'm upgrading it to a Wouxun KG-1000-G 50 watt radio. I'll put the MXT275 up for sale soon.

Here are pics of the Radioddity. I'm running it with a Midland antenna mounted near the A-pillar and it appears to perform very well. The speaker is nice and loud, and the microphone has gain control, so it should work well in the noisy Jeep.

JTTA7Gn.jpg

jS3UzEn.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I just replaced both cats on my 08 JK. It was robbing some power and fuel economy. It wasn't nearly as bad as what you described, but I noticed a nice improvement in both areas. Also, the engine was hesitating right at about 3100 rpms, IIRC, consistently and precisely. That disappeared, too. She now runs like new again.

So I'd bet there are some good aftermarket options for the cat on that Jeep. I'm guessing it has just one, which will also save you some money. I took the double hit plus a Y joint, so it pried somewhere around $1200 out of my pocket. Ouch.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    For those running Baofeng UV5-R radios, here is a GREAT programming device that does not require a PC. You do it from your phone, which makes it easy and quick, even in the field. It is wireless and rechargeable. Best of all, only $20.

I used it on one of mine and it worked perfectly.

TIDRadio Wireless Programmer

Here's a video on how it works. (Love this guy's channel, btw. He's hilarious.)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    For those running Baofeng UV5-R radios, here is a GREAT programming device that does not require a PC. You do it from your phone, which makes it easy and quick, even in the field. It is wireless and rechargeable. Best of all, only $20.

I used it on one of mine and it worked perfectly.

TIDRadio Wireless Programmer

Here's a video on how it works. (Love this guy's channel, btw. He's hilarious.)

Looks interesting but Amazon shows product is not available. Ill have to search around and keep checking back on the Big A. :)

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    What's everyone's temperature threshold for putting their top and doors back on? Being my first Jeep I've had the top and doors of since day 1. I don't daily drive it so rain and such aren't an issue. I drove it last week to work at 0500 and at 54 degrees it was a chilly drive especially on the highway at 65 mph., but manageable in jeens and a sweatshirt. Thinking of driving it tomorrow a.m. but low is forecasted to be around 46. It's roughly a 34 mile drive to work. Am I crazy or is it doable? Coming home looks like a beautiful day!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    What's everyone's temperature threshold for putting their top and doors back on? Being my first Jeep I've had the top and doors of since day 1. I don't daily drive it so rain and such aren't an issue. I drove it last week to work at 0500 and at 54 degrees it was a chilly drive especially on the highway at 65 mph., but manageable in jeens and a sweatshirt. Thinking of driving it tomorrow a.m. but low is forecasted to be around 46. It's roughly a 34 mile drive to work. Am I crazy or is it doable? Coming home looks like a beautiful day!
    I'll be putting the hard top on this weekend. But I also have a Sunrider for Hard Top, so I can still easily flip that open to get a bit of sun. I usually make the swap in early to late October.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    What you have experienced this week is about the limits of what I think is bearable without doors. I have driven to work, similar distance to you, as cold as 39 degrees. That was not pleasant, but it was near 80 on the drive home so worth it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    What you have experienced this week is about the limits of what I think is bearable without doors. I have driven to work, similar distance to you, as cold as 39 degrees. That was not pleasant, but it was near 80 on the drive home so worth it.
    Yeah, I think 60 degrees is as cold as I can deal with doorless. If I know it is going to warm up substantially, though, I'll bear colder morning temps than that. Lol, you are pretty tough to do 39. That would freeze my jiblets.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I roughed it out this morning and drove into work top off and doors off. It was 46 when I left my house. I wore a sweatshirt and my columbia jacket and jeans with a stocking cap to cover the ears. Wasn't as bad as I thought.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We had the top open and doors off over last weekend. Ended up taking a 5 hour round trip, which was a BIT much for my wife. I think it did convince her to look at a set of soft 2-piece doors for the spring/summer/fall. Taking the full sized doors off (and putting them back on) is a chore. So, if I take them off, they will stay off for a bit. 1/2 doors (with the uppers in the bed) are a nice compromise.

I've driven doorless down into the 40's. Jacket on, and heat blasting my hands.

Unless you count snow-wheeling. Carharts, boots, gloves, and a knit cap are kinda cheating, though.

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I can look up stock gears by VIN if needed. I’m no help if some one changed it. But full access to dealerconnect or STAR Parts if I can help (that’s FCA…sorry…Stellantis dealer webs).

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    I'm starting to look at lift kits and wanted to see what recommendations there were for shops to do the install in the Franklin/southside area. I was just going to stop by Tillman's but wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Also, is it better to buy the kit through the shop or directly from the manufacturer and just pay for the install? I'm pretty sure I want a Metalcloak 2.5" Game Changer. I know they run a 20% off black friday sale every year, so I wanted to see if that was a better deal or if a shop could get a better price. Thanks in advance.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'm starting to look at lift kits and wanted to see what recommendations there were for shops to do the install in the Franklin/southside area. I was just going to stop by Tillman's but wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Also, is it better to buy the kit through the shop or directly from the manufacturer and just pay for the install? I'm pretty sure I want a Metalcloak 2.5" Game Changer. I know they run a 20% off black friday sale every year, so I wanted to see if that was a better deal or if a shop could get a better price. Thanks in advance.
    I recommend Sean Fox at For Fox's Sake Off-road. He's in the Bargersville area and does impeccible work. He really knows his stuff and takes his time to do it right. He did the re-gear on my JL and it was perfect. It was the first JL he did, and he did his homework.

Also, I've heard nothing but praise from folks with the Metalcloak lift. Sean might be able to get you a good price on it, too.

For Fox's Sake Off-road and Metalworks

Top Bottom