Any FAL shooters in Northeastern Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    I moved here recently from points west. I obtained my Indiana CCW, so now my thoughts are expanding to rifles again. There must be lots of AR15 owners in these parts—and I intend to join your ranks when prices return to earth—but for now, I'm wondering if anybody here appreciates .30 cal military rifles such as the FN FAL?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pops had some yrs ago. The triggers aint the best. But an Argy turned in respectable groups at 200.

I like the DSA A2 rear sight. Not a fan of the sliding tombstone deal.

Not a fan of the para stocks either, on FAL or FNC. Fixed is more comfy for me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not a history buff so cost of ammo today and a less than decent trigger means id rather buy/ shoot something else.

Neat rigs but not cheap. Even a basic DSA is 1800 or more. Cheapest ball brass case Ive seen last few months is still a buck a shot.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I moved here recently from points west. I obtained my Indiana CCW, so now my thoughts are expanding to rifles again. There must be lots of AR15 owners in these parts—and I intend to join your ranks when prices return to earth—but for now, I'm wondering if anybody here appreciates .30 cal military rifles such as the FN FAL?
    Welcome to the group!

Indiana has a "license to carry handgun" :D Also (sorry for sounding like a teacher) CCW stands for Concealed Carry Weapon so guessing you got a weapon for concealed carry? :)

Sorry. Back to your topic, I have a zero parts matching STG-58 that I can shoot a 4 inch group off hand standing at 100 yards with the original sights and trigger. It is one of those rare items that if I had to give most up, this would be one I would hang on to. A favorite of mine.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    The triggers aint the best.
    Lucky for me, I never got used to any 'fancy triggers.'
    I like the DSA A2 rear sight. Not a fan of the sliding tombstone deal.
    I just know mil-spec metric rear sights, and have NO IDEA what "the sliding tombstone" means. Educate me.
    [EDIT] I figured it out. It's the shape of the rear peep sight leaf. HA! It does look like a tombstone, and it does slide fore and aft.
    Not a fan of the para stocks either, on FAL or FNC. Fixed is more comfy for me.
    Again, para stocks are too exotic and expensive for me. I've seen pictures... =D

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Not a history buff so cost of ammo today and a less than decent trigger means id rather buy/ shoot something else.

Neat rigs but not cheap. Even a basic DSA is 1800 or more. Cheapest ball brass case Ive seen last few months is still a buck a shot.
    Yeah, I don't intend to shoot much until ammunition is available at reasonable prices again. A while back DSA basic STG clones were under a grand. I built my own and became "a better person" in the process. =]

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Welcome to the group!
    Thanks.
    Indiana has a "license to carry handgun" :D Also (sorry for sounding like a teacher) CCW stands for Concealed Carry Weapon so guessing you got a weapon for concealed carry? :)
    To be clear, I obtained a CCW permit. I paid for a life-time permit because I didn't know at the time that Indiana provides a 5-year permit for FREE. Duh. And if I understand correctly, the Indiana legislature is considering "right to carry" with no need for a permit. Makes me glad to be a New Hoosier. =D
    Sorry. Back to your topic, I have a zero parts matching STG-58 that I can shoot a 4 inch group off hand standing at 100 yards with the original sights and trigger. It is one of those rare items that if I had to give most up, this would be one I would hang on to. A favorite of mine.
    Then we are BloodBrothers. I've proven on several occasions that a FrankenFAL correctly assembled can be a decent military shooter. :yesway: I'm glad others here have seen the light. :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Its a shame the FAL.trigger system is what it is.

The DSA A2 rear sight is as the name implies, its like the AR A2 sight and the aperture is big on the shorter range flip.

Makes the rifle more usable ;)

Have shot several FALs over the years.
    Triggers and rear sights aint the best.

At least one is fixable for not much money LOL. Think 60 bucks for the DSA sight.

Jard maybe, makes a replacement triggrr for 180 bucks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Looks like a DSA standard 16" front end is just over 500. Receiver proly close to that. Then 100 each for bolt and carrier.
    Your at 1200 not counting lower. Which is another 500.

Then charging handle and dust cover.

Pops died a while back, sold his unfired Belgian .50.00, his DSA para and FNC para for the estate.

The FNC trigger sucked too but it shot well. I killed a few creekbank chucks with it way back.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you like fixed stocks.....iron wood or some such named place, makes walnut unfinished furniture for FAL.

I like the straight comb of the STG stocks. The vented metal handguards are neat looking too, but reg plastic is more comfy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    And nobody has US made trigger group parts in stock so a 922 compliant rig is a PITA to put together right now .....

You could go receiver, charging handle, furniture (3), muzzle device and gas piston to get your 7 parts of the 17 listed ( can only have max of 10 ).

I have an Austrian lower laying around LOL. Just need 1200 bucks w nothing to do.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    Its a shame the FAL.trigger system is what it is.

Have shot several FALs over the years.
    Triggers and rear sights aint the best.

Jard maybe, makes a replacement triggrr for 180 bucks.
    Back when I built FALs, I replaced the trigger groups with FSE (First Son Enterprises), which added 3 USA parts. The FAL isn't a precision shooting platform, and those trigger groups function very well for the FAL's intended purpose.

I don't think FSE is still in business. A great, small company.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    If you like fixed stocks...makes walnut unfinished furniture for FAL.
    STG functional black plastic is all I know. Works for me.
    I like the straight comb of the STG stocks. The vented metal handguards are neat looking too, but reg plastic is more comfy.
    Yep, STG profile stocks and stamped metal handguards. The stock is perfect for me in terms of length-of-pull and cheek weld for iron sights. I like the LOOKS of my metal STG handguards, but have to wear a freakin' barbeque mit on my left hand when shooting fast.

Of course, ammunition is way too expensive right now to be "warming up my handguards." :D

I keep the STG metal bipod installed for now...until the SHTF, then it comes off. I'd like to replace the handguards with OD green plastic from DSA, but as you mention, the price of everything there is WAY up. That bipod is heavy as the deuce, but helps avoid frying my left hand (and it LOOKS so DANGEROUS!!!). Gotta luv dat!

Last edited:

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    And nobody has US made trigger group parts in stock so a 922 compliant rig is a PITA to put together right now .....

I have an Austrian lower laying around LOL. Just need 1200 bucks w nothing to do.
    Yeah, now is not the right time. Several years ago DSA must have been on the brink of disaster. They were selling parts (and rifles) for very low prices, but I was on the brink of my own disaster then and couldn't justify the outlay. Now I wish I had, but 20/20 hindsight is always like that.

I have a perfect, brand new, complete parkerized STG lower. Will probably never build it, but hard to turn it loose... Yeah, you know what I mean. :D

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    The FAL is a real battle rifle, don't expect great triggers or sights. Yeah, expensive to build and shoot but, it's a great rifle, it just plain works. I see numerous AR15s that guys build that go way over the price of a FAL, so the build price is not an issue. I prefer the humpback stock with the composite hand guards. I have a 16" barrel Imbel build that will shoot 3" groups at 100 yards. If you have never shot one, you will be surprised with how well it fits.

2AOK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Northeastern Indiana
    The FAL is a real battle rifle, don't expect great triggers or sights.

...numerous AR15s that guys build that go way over the price of a FAL...

I have a 16" barrel Imbel build that will shoot 3" groups at 100 yards.
    I concur on all counts.

I'm looking for an inexpensive and effective way to scope FAL rifles so I can determine real accuracy at 100yds+. I can easily hit a man-sized target at 100yd with open sights, but now I want to find out exactly what I built.

So far, scoping the FAL seems complicated. I want to go with a 1-4x24 LPV, but eye relief and mounting height are kinda hanging me up.

Any first-hand, real-world suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks.

To be clear, I obtained a CCW permit. I paid for a life-time permit because I didn't know at the time that Indiana provides a 5-year permit for FREE. Duh. And if I understand correctly, the Indiana legislature is considering "right to carry" with no need for a permit. Makes me glad to be a New Hoosier. =D

Then we are BloodBrothers. I've proven on several occasions that a FrankenFAL correctly assembled can be a decent military shooter. :yesway: I'm glad others here have seen the light. :D
    If you purchased a "CCW permit" in Indiana, somebody scammed you. Indiana is silent on HOW you may carry. Its an old joke here that you can carry any way you want in Indiana... even duct taped to your forehead.

Just look at the top of your "pink permission slip" Does it say CCW or LTCH?
    iu
    Yes, we are very particular here about semantics.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I concur on all counts.

I'm looking for an inexpensive and effective way to scope FAL rifles so I can determine real accuracy at 100yds+. I can easily hit a man-sized target at 100yd with open sights, but now I want to find out exactly what I built.

So far, scoping the FAL seems complicated. I want to go with a 1-4x24 LPV, but eye relief and mounting height are kinda hanging me up.

Any first-hand, real-world suggestions would be much appreciated.
    DSA does offer a scope mount top cover.

Top Bottom