• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    I live in the Hamilton County/Marion County line. Unfortunately, more so in Marion. I've been getting into the drone hobby starting out with the dji mini 2.

I live around way too many interference areas where I can only get so far before I lose signal or its weak. It has a 6 mile range. Plus, with all the flight patterns and towers it causes issues. Haven't been able to see a decent amount of battery life just due to these issues. It should get around 30 minutes of flight time on one battery. I was wondering if anyone around my area knows of any good spots to fly? Also any battery life tips to get more than the 10-12 minutes I've been getting.
    Thanks

Epicenity

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    I don't live anywhere near so I can't help with that.

If your drone is used, I suspect the battery needs replaced. Nimh batteries have a fairly short shelf life. If it's new, flying aggressively or in high wind can make them deplete faster.

You should be aware that flying outside of line of site (meaning you can't physically see the drone) is in violation of the FAA regulations without taking the necessary steps. You must also stay below 400 feet.

Rules are here: https://www.droneregistration.com/?msclkid=953941ba97aa15191682232647088660

There is an app that will tell you if you are in a restricted zone before flying: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/b4ufly

Finally the good part. Ditch the DJI and get an FPV (first person view) setup. You see in real time through the onboard cam. It is infinitely more fun. There is too much video lag with the DJI drones.

Here is a site to get you started: https://intofpv.com/

You can get a full fpv setup for less than $200. Goggles, radio drone.

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info! Wish I had known sooner. Today was definitely a better battery life day. The winds and extreme cold definitely made a dent in flying time but the last couple days have been better. I might have to sell this and look into fpv

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Been thinking about trying one of these out lately. Just downloaded the b4 app and found out I’m in a notify to fly zone. What exactly does that mean?

Colts Ironman

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    I've not seen that where I live. I live near several warning zones. Particularly, a life line helo and I get warnings because air craft do fly over my home but I hadn't experienced a no fly zone or notify to fly. It might mean you have to notify local authorities or FAA. I did have to register my drone with the FAA. I haven't been any where really out of my norm but I check the B4UFLY app any time I go up in the air. Just to see if there's any restrictions

Epicenity

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2020
    Yes, cold weather really limits NiMh batteries.

If you do it, spend some time watching Josh Bardwell. He already has a video for each and every question you are likely to have from flying to building drones. No kidding, EVERY question.

Also, some eye candy:

Top Bottom