• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Camping with friends is one of my favorite pastimes. Hot or cold, rain or shine - we dont usually turn away from weather challenges. We typically pack up our backpacks and hike 3-6 miles then make camp somewhere. Monroe is a common destination because of the availability of space and lack of people on the back trails, but there are lots of great spots in Indiana for a short hike and camp.

My guilty pleasures for cold camping are:
    Jetboil (for on demand hot chocolate and coffee)
    Down booties (for keeping the toes warm on the coldest nights)
    Collapsible lightweight chair (gotta keep off the ground)
    Flask of whisky (obviously)

If you aren't afraid of the cold, tell me about your favorite pieces of gear or cold weather items to throw in your pack to make it through the weekend.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I camp year round in my pop up camper, I haven't backpacked in years, i need to break out that gear again and go.

I use a Mr buddy heater in my pop up or an electric heater if I'm at a site with electricity.

For backpacking:
    I have a tiny butane stove that collapses and fits inside my backpacking pots.
    I also have a collapsible stove that use a Sterno can to heat up food.
    I always take about 10 hand warmers just in case.
    I usually have a flask of Everclear (more bang per oz) and lemonade drink mix packs or tang.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    Hunting out west, and sometimes around here just for fun, I have spent quite a few nights in my tent at below 0* temperatures.

A canvas tent, Mr. Buddy heater, cot with foam pads and extra quilts underneath, 0* sleeping bag, and warm base layers with a ski mask makes it downright cozy - until you have to go into the cold to relieve yourself!

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Hunting out west, and sometimes around here just for fun, I have spent quite a few nights in my tent at below 0* temperatures.

A canvas tent, Mr. Buddy heater, cot with foam pads and extra quilts underneath, 0* sleeping bag, and warm base layers with a ski mask makes it downright cozy - until you have to go into the cold to relieve yourself!
    I dont have a canvas tent but know they are nice for those frigid nights. When backpacking im counting every pound. I picked up a cheap marmot 2 person that clocks in under 3 lbs and it keeps me dry.

Ive seen some good lightweight designs from seek outside that have a collapsible oven essentially making it a hot tent, but i havent made the plunge yet. A few extra layers and a hot nalgene in my sleeping bag are usually enough to get me through the night. And ALWAYS pee BEFORE you go to bed. Helps you stay in the sack longer after waking up in the AM.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Camping with friends is one of my favorite pastimes. Hot or cold, rain or shine - we dont usually turn away from weather challenges. We typically pack up our backpacks and hike 3-6 miles then make camp somewhere. Monroe is a common destination because of the availability of space and lack of people on the back trails, but there are lots of great spots in Indiana for a short hike and camp.

My guilty pleasures for cold camping are:
    Jetboil for on demand hot chocolate and coffee
    Down booties (for keeping the toes warm on the coldest nights)
    Collapsible lightweight chair (gotta keep off the ground)
    Flask of whisky (obviosuly)

If you aren't afraid of the cold, tell me about your favorite pieces of gear or cold weather items to throw in your pack to make it through the weekend.
    When out and about, a Jet-Boil is the Shizzle.
    1596170074947.jpg

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Back in Viginia we would attempt to camp up in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the coldest weekend of the year. We called it the Frosty Balls camp out.
    I had a one pole canvass tent, similar to a TeePee.
    You could build a small fire in it and it kept us toasty warm.
    More years ago than I care to admit...

View attachment 247264
    This is what I'm talking about! We always try to make it out for the coldest weekend of the year. Never seems so cold when you have good company and like minded people who love the outdoors!

Last edited:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not much of a backpacker, but if I can get to it with a cart or canoe, I'm in. Coldest in 2022 was -4F on site 5 of the Bloodroot Trail at Salamonie. Key to that one was my Gstove, which we kept puttering along nicely. Other than that, sleeping bag liners are absolutely worth it, and an insulated air mat is a must.

20220128_181739.jpg

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Back in the day, a bunch of us would do a Polar Float trip and tent camping in S Central MO. First weekend in February was the standard weekend. Sometimes single digits, always good times... well except for the one time the canoe capsized, lol!

Stripping on a gravel bar in freezing temps to change into dry clothes isn't as fun as it sounds, lol! Still, good times!

On other trips, backpacking, single cup French coffee press was ESSENTIAL survival gear. :)

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Not much of a backpacker, but if I can get to it with a cart or canoe, I'm in. Coldest in 2022 was -4F on site 5 of the Bloodroot Trail at Salamonie. Key to that one was my Gstove, which we kept puttering along nicely. Other than that, sleeping bag liners are absolutely worth it, and an insulated air mat is a must.

View attachment 247269
    I love the salamonie Trail! Beautiful campsites and beautifully flat land to trek. I never break a sweat out there. Awesome stove setup. Looks super cozy.

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Yup, love my winter camping. I pretty much only camp from October through March. Whenever nobody else will be there :>).

Wasn't real cold this day, but I have been out in the teens, got some good down equipment (sleeping bag, outerwear).

View attachment 247271
    Getting it done in the snow is impressive regardless of the temperatures. I always found it amazing how quiet everything gets out there with a couple inches of fresh snow to absorb all of the sound. Also fun to see the critter tracks through camp in the morning. You'd be surprised what checks you out when you're snoozin in the winter.

Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    I too enjoy backpacking in Deam Wilderness. For those cold nights in December and January, I like the warmth of my zero degree sleeping bag. Hot hands body warmers are nice to bring along.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Well insulated sleeping pad(s). I use an insulated inflatable on top of a closed cell foam z-pad.

A silk liner adds a little noticeable warmth inside my quilt which is inside my bivy bag.

A pee bottle really helps so you do not have to exit your shelter at O' dark thirty to make yellow snow.

Slept warm and cozy on the Bloodroot trail New Year's Eve.

I chose to test my winter setup in the backyard rather than the back country. My wife took this photo from the (warm) bedroom window. Notice no footprints where she checked to see if I was still alive.

Tarp_Snow.jpg

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Haven't backpacked in cold weather but have done plenty of camping in cold weather. We always camped out for muzzle loader season and we stayed in tents on weekends the 4 years it took us to build our cabin. My go to tip for cold weather sleeping was an oversized sleeping bag with another bag stuffed inside. I stayed warm on the coldest nights.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Of all the things, a cold weather sleeping bag is the key.

You can do all kinds of activities, bring all sorts of gear and eat whatever you like... but if you're too cold to sleep well you'll hate yourself and everyone around you.

hotcupofbro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Of all the things, a cold weather sleeping bag is the key.

You can do all kinds of activities, bring all sorts of gear and eat whatever you like... but if you're too cold to sleep well you'll hate yourself and everyone around you.
    No doubt. I think this is the year i pull the trigger on a medium-high end 0 degree bag.

Top Bottom