• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thinking about an LCR, looking for recommendation on going with the 38 or 357 so I have the option to step up. Also, considering the 9mm version just to keep ammo simple. Any suggestions?

Shooting .357 out of the LCR is like high-fiving a sledgehammer, at least with full house 158gr loads. It's tolerable with 125 gr loads. For self-defense vs people you aren't gaining anything over a .38 +P load. The .357 version is slightly heavier and, IMO, deals with the recoil of .38 +P very nicely.

The 9mm uses moon clips, with the good and the bad that brings to the table. To me, that's the deciding factor on if you want to include that as a possibility or not.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Shooting .357 out of the LCR is like high-fiving a sledgehammer, at least with full house 158gr loads. It's tolerable with 125 gr loads. For self-defense vs people you aren't gaining anything over a .38 +P load. The .357 version is slightly heavier and, IMO, deals with the recoil of .38 +P very nicely.

The 9mm uses moon clips, with the good and the bad that brings to the table. To me, that's the deciding factor on if you want to include that as a possibility or not.

Keeping in mind that the stainless frame used for the LCR in .357 magnum is about 3.5 oz. heavier than the aluminum frame used for the LCR in .38 special...
    and the heavier frame goes a long way in helping to absorb recoil a bit better!

Last edited:

dsom2006

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Noblesville
    Taurus 865 is my back up office gun. Stuck in an old Uncle Mike’s holster velcroed and 3M taped to the bottom of the center draw. Back right. Federal HST.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have had nearly all the snubbies, especially the .38 specials) & many of the .357s & even a 9mm revolver.
    I presently use the Kimber 6s since has 6 rds. & is as small enough for my ankle holster I used for the .38 sp. (it was exact same size as the small 5 rd. Ruger LCR .357).
    I have trust issues with semi-automatics since the subcompacts all seem to FTF sooner or later, in my limited experience.
    But, since I have picked up a Sig Sauer 938: it has never had a FTF, so the trust is there with it.
    It was actually the gun I had been looking for in the past 2.7 yrs. and didn't know it.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    9mm and 9mm+P offers impressive ballistics out of my S&W 940 snub. The 940 is also extremely accurate and shootable. It sees plenty of use, but that said, my S&W
    340 M&P no lock shows plenty of finish wear and would be my choice for an all around snub if I could have just one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm considering a 642 over the sig 365. Reality tells me I will end up with both.

I've had and enjoyed both, as you said.
    Someone here gave me a heads-up that Cabelas had the 642 on sale for $300 a couple of years ago, and I ran, not walked over to get one.
    They were selling more than that used.

I thought I had to have a light .38 made by S/W, instead of the heavier Charter Arms that I had at the time.
    I immediately had to get a different grip b/c it was brutal to shoot: my introduction to first-time shooting a light 14.4 oz .38 special revolver.
    Not fun, but functional.

The Sig 365 was a dream in accuracy and round count for such a small gun.
    I gave up my Shield 9 for it & I had it longer than any other gun I'd bought previous.
    The 365 was more accurate than most bigger 9mms that I had at the time.

Yes, you must have both. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    My main carry is a Glock 29SF but a 642 often comes along as well. It is just so easy to carry I really can't see a downside to packing it just in case I suddenly have a REALLY bad day...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For those of you that carry a snub nose revolver, what have you found in a holster that works good?

Pocket?
    OWB?

I need to pick something up for mine.

jb142

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    I carry a S&W 642 most of the time in my right front pocket with an inside the pocket Uncle Mike's holster. I have semi-autos too, but old habits are hard to break.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Loading your own...that's where the fun, and the efficiency, start!

I'm really impressed with the "old school" Lswhp.
    Push them hot (for a 38) and the results are impressive!
    I originally loaded them for the lil lady, was so impressed with the acuracy, the reduced recoil (compared to 357) and the penetration and expansion, carry them myself now.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I stumbled across this round Federal Premium HST Micro .38 Special +P Ammo. Looks like a jacketed wadcutter hp. I wonder how they preform from a snubnose 38.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    For those of you that carry a snub nose revolver, what have you found in a holster that works good?

Pocket? OWB?

I need to pick something up for mine.

I, personally, prefer an OWB holster and have a Galco Combat Master RH holster for my T-85!
    It fits great, holds the revolver securely, rides comfortably, and makes for easy access.

Top Bottom