• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ranger391xt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    West Lafayette
    How are the economics of casting bullets?

The answer is "it depends". Mainly on how much the lead costs you. If you pay $2/ lb, and are casting 158 gr bullets for 38/357, you get 44 bullets per pound, so just under 5 cents per bullet in that scenario. At $4 / lb, it's 10 cents. I think even at that cost, it's still economical in today's market.

Lead / powder coated bullets are also less wear on your barrel.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How fast can you push powder coat over traditional lube? I've wanted to cast for 7.62x54r but don't like the low speeds that necessitates. I wonder if powder coating could get me up to around 2500fps?

I have not pushed it high either. IIRC, Elvis Ammo on YouTube said he has loaded .223 to just under 2400fps. I only got to +/- 1800fps with 300BLK.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...How are the economics of casting bullets?

How valuable is your time?

I enjoy the satisfaction of producing my own bullets, which is good because buying them outright new is financial history for me.

That said, it's time consuming and has quite the learning curve, a curve that still stings me nearly every time I fire up the casting furnace. Sometimes it takes quite a while to get the lead mix and the molds to the perfect temp for problem free boolits. Often there are pounds of wrinkled or frosted boolits that will have to be remelted and used the next time.

Once you are in a rhythm making good boolits, you can't really step away very far for fear of losing the optimum temps. Things cool down and heat up when you leave them alone long. Same thing when adding more ingots to the pot. Rarely do you hit it just right to not upset the chi and have to start the process of zeroing in back over again.

All that is just to make a raw lead mix boolit. Then there is coating, then sizing, with various inspections throughout the whole process. Curing? Maybe, hmmmm?

It's a bit more involved than Mel Gibson melting down toy soldiers over the campfire to make mini balls for the next day. :)

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    thanks for the introduction to casting.

I’ve had great results with Summitcity coated boolits.

They are a good value for my purpose.
    Maybe if I come across the right deal for someone’s used casting set up, I would try it out.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    How fast can you push powder coat over traditional lube? I've wanted to cast for 7.62x54r but don't like the low speeds that necessitates. I wonder if powder coating could get me up to around 2500fps?
    I use traditional line from White Label Lube. They have one that is named 2700 for 2700fps. That being said, and I’m sure you know, there are a lot of other factors that goes into how fast you can push a lead bullet without leading. As has been stated, I can get 1800fps out of my PCC in 44Mag or 45 Colt.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    What I like a lot about being able to cast my own bullets is having what I want, when I want.
    I have some great molds and the bullets they produce aren't able to be found through the current supply chain.
    Here are a few of the ones I have.

357 caliber:

Attachments

• 290BB1.jpg
      290BB1.jpg
      45.1 KB · Views: 7
    • 358429.jpg
      358429.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 7
    • 359640firstcasting.jpg
      359640firstcasting.jpg
      135.5 KB · Views: 7
    • 3583111.jpg
      3583111.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 7
    • HG290bb_359640.jpg
      HG290bb_359640.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 7
    • HG501.jpg
      HG501.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 7

boatswainsmate

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 20, 2014
    Howard County
    What I like a lot about being able to cast my own bullets is having what I want, when I want.
    I have some great molds and the bullets they produce aren't able to be found through the current supply chain.
    Here are a few of the ones I have.

I Highly agree with your statement! My RCBS-45-300-SWC I had hollowpointed for hunting purposes. I used 16-1 alloy to make these for my 45 colt and 460 S&W.

Attachments

• RCBS 45-300-SWC 1st Cast.JPG
      RCBS 45-300-SWC 1st Cast.JPG
      436.9 KB · Views: 8

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I use traditional line from White Label Lube. They have one that is named 2700 for 2700fps. That being said, and I’m sure you know, there are a lot of other factors that goes into how fast you can push a lead bullet without leading. As has been stated, I can get 1800fps out of my PCC in 44Mag or 45 Colt.
    Gotta ask, whats the load data you're using to get 1800fps out of 45 Colt?
    Powder & grains and bullet weight please.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    They are John Linebaugh’s loads for the M25 in 45Colt. Remember though, the 1800fps is out of a long gun. A Rossi M92 lever gun. I’ve also used some “Ruger Only” loads in it too with about the same results.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Here is a link to some of the data. Read the whole article though. He explains his rational in developing these loads.
    Also, I want to make sure it is known that these are not for use in any Single Action Army firearms and certainly no original black powder guns.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Here is a link to some of the data. Read the whole article though. He explains his rational in developing these loads.
    Also, I want to make sure it is known that these are not for use in any Single Action Army firearms and certainly no original black powder guns.

I know the loads and what firearms they were designed for.
    And certainly not for use in a Rossi lever.
    Good Luck.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I know the loads and what firearms they were designed for.
    And certainly not for use in a Rossi lever.
    Good Luck.
    Thanks!
    I chose the strongest of the PCC lever gun designs though. They make the same rifle in 44Mag. Using John Linebaugh’s logic on the 80% strength/pressure calculation, I figure to be well into the safe range. You need not try them though. I’ve also run his loads in the M625 S&W with absolutely no issues at all. In fact, the paper hanging in my reloading room was printed from his data FOR the M625.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Thanks!
    I chose the strongest of the PCC lever gun designs though. They make the same rifle in 44Mag. Using John Linebaugh’s logic on the 80% strength/pressure calculation, I figure to be well into the safe range. You need not try them though. I’ve also run his loads in the M625 S&W with absolutely no issues at all. In fact, the paper hanging in my reloading room was printed from his data FOR the M625.
    You honestly believe that the Rossi has the strongest lockup lever action rifle?
    Im a Browning lever man, the Rossi is a scaled down 1886. Its not a modern 1886.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    You honestly believe that the Rossi has the strongest lockup lever action rifle?
    Im a Browning lever man, the Rossi is a scaled down 1886. Its not a modern 1886.
    What I said was: "I chose the strongest of the PCC lever gun designs".
    Im not going to argue about it. You do you, I’ll do me.
    To keep things in perspective, im talking specifically about Pistol Caliber Carbine lever guns and, yes, I stand by my statement about that. The 1892 lockup is one of the strongest.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What I said was: "I chose the strongest of the PCC lever gun designs".
    Im not going to argue about it. You do you, I’ll do me.
    To keep things in perspective, im talking specifically about Pistol Caliber Carbine lever guns and, yes, I stand by my statement about that. The 1892 lockup is one of the strongest.
    Whos argueing? This is a disscussion forum is it not. If everyones in aggrement, it instantly kills the chat.
    Please post those 1800 fps load data.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Whos argueing? This is a disscussion forum is it not. If everyones in aggrement, it instantly kills the chat.
    Please post those 1800 fps load data.
    P. S. They chamber the Rossi M92 in 454 Casul too…. ;)
    Not going to post the specific loads for liability reasons. I’m telling you my results are from loads posted in the article by John Linebaugh.

Top Bottom