• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    P. S. They chamber the Rossi M92 in 454 Casul too…. ;)
    Not going to post the specific loads for liability reasons. I’m telling you my results are from loads posted in the article by John Linebaugh.
    I didnt think you would. Most would be proud of that achevement, but.
    No video, no labradar pics, no crono pics and no load data to prove it happened.

Good Luck, this chat is over for me.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I didnt think you would. Most would be proud of that achevement, but.
    No video, no labradar pics, no crono pics and no load data to prove it happened.

Good Luck, this chat is over for me.
    Right, but, you weren’t arguing…okay.
    I just looked at my log book from my testing and, the average was 1750fps for my loads. I used the bullets in the middle which weigh in at 250gr. The ones on the left are right at 240gr and the ones on the right are 285gr.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Right, but, you weren’t arguing…okay.
    I just looked at my log book from my testing and, the average was 1750fps for my loads. I used the bullets in the middle which weigh in at 250gr. The ones on the left are right at 240gr and the ones on the right are 285gr.
    Believe what you want, im asking for difinitive proof. Im not the one who made the statment that I pushed a 250gr Long Colt to 1,800fps.
    So thats half the data, what powder and load pushed these bullets 1,750fps out of a Rossi lever gun?

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Believe what you want, im asking for difinitive proof. Im not the one who made the statment that I pushed a 250gr Long Colt to 1,800fps.
    So thats half the data, what powder and load pushed these bullets 1,750fps out of a Rossi lever gun?
    First, only amateurs call it the LONG COLT. It's just the 45 Colt, period. Did you read the article I posted? Probably not, doesn't seem like reading is a strong suit for you. Just read the article bud. That's where I got my data from.

Even he posted data for a load with a 260gr bullet at almost 1500fps from a 7" barrel.
    Here is a picture of his data, not mine.

1682957746008.png

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I do .45acp, not Colt.

I've read of .45 Colt being pushed pretty fast -- much faster than was safe or even possible before the balloon heads were done away with.

Elmer Keith did a lot of his work with balloon head cartridges.

There's a .454 Casull load running a 250grn bullet at 1800fps.

The .454 was developed from the .45 Colt. If I recall (and I could be wrong,) they were hot loading the Colt to Casull levels and only lengthened and renamed the cartridge to keep it from being chambered in weaker guns.

Just some random thoughts on the subject from someone who loads autopistol and ancient rifle rounds.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I do .45acp, not Colt.

I've read of .45 Colt being pushed pretty fast -- much faster than was safe or even possible before the balloon heads were done away with.

The .454 was developed from the .45 Colt. If I recall (and I could be wrong,) they were hot loading the Colt to Casull levels and only lengthened and renamed the cartridge to keep it from being chambered in weaker guns.

Just some random thoughts on the subject from someone who loads autopistol and ancient rifle rounds.
    Paco Kelley has an article and a host of writing on the 45 Colt. He pushed it real hard in the M92 Puma too. All one has to do is a bit of searching on the web and they can find a host of information about folks hot rodding the Ole' 45. I use Linebaugh loads in my Ruger Blackhawk and often carry it as my sidearm when deer hunting. I've never shot a deer with my 45 Colt loads but they should do the trick. I went on the adventure when they started allowing PCC's for deer hunting. I knew I could get the performance out of the 44Mag but, you know, sometimes, you gotta push the envelope.
    The Puma is a great little rifle that is great for his loads too. It doesn't get a steady diet of them or anything and I've never felt like I was unsafe in running them either.
    The 45ACP can be loaded a lot hotter too if run in a good wheel gun. I have an extra cylinder for my Blackhawk for the 45ACP. Some of the loading manuals from the 60's have some real thumper 45 AutoRim loads in them. I've run them in my M625 JM, and in auto cases in the Ruger.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Awhile back, I got a really good score on some range lead.
    It had formed into big blocks though. It made good bullets...

Attachments

• 60lbs_3pm.jpg
      60lbs_3pm.jpg
      110.8 KB · Views: 8
    • 107lb.jpg
      107lb.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 8
    • 434640RangeScrap.jpg
      434640RangeScrap.jpg
      110.3 KB · Views: 7
    • 452200RangeScrap.jpg
      452200RangeScrap.jpg
      131.9 KB · Views: 7
    • Melting_1.jpg
      Melting_1.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 7
    • Startingpile2_15pm.jpg
      Startingpile2_15pm.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 8

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I sure did, Still waiting on the 250gn 45 Long Colt powder load.
    But we wouldnt want you to to be held libel for someone elses published data.
    225gn jacketed at 1,500fps is a far cry from a 250 grainer at 1,800fps.
    :lmfao:

Pavo Kelly’s loads from his M92 Puma: (but, my loads come from Linebaugh’s data)
    1682963365159.png

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    1,459fps still aint 1,800fps.
    Unless its the new math I keep reading about.
    I thought you knew something about ballistics too. My bad. The longer barrel of the Puma allows for more powder to burn behind the bullet. Haven’t you ever heard of that?
    Mercy. Maybe you shouldn’t reload or cast until you learn a bit more.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Here is a picture from my data book. The powder type that is blocked out is a military surplus powder, not canister (that means you can’t buy it in regular supply stores) and there are different lots with drastically different burn rates.

It’s from 2009 too. The lower left is from my Ruger Blackhawk in 45Colt with a 7 1/2” barrel the top right is from the Puma M92.

Attachments

• IMG_9903.jpeg
      IMG_9903.jpeg
      438.6 KB · Views: 10

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I do .45acp, not Colt.

Here is a copy of some data for the 45AutoRim loads that I shot in my M625JM (4” barrel).
    240gr LSWC @1120fps/avg ain’t no slouch! Lol
    This data came from the Speer #8 loading manual.

Attachments

• IMG_9904.jpeg
      IMG_9904.jpeg
      380.6 KB · Views: 7

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I thought you knew something about ballistics too. My bad. The longer barrel of the Puma allows for more powder to burn behind the bullet. Haven’t you ever heard of that?
    Mercy. Maybe you shouldn’t reload or cast until you learn a bit more.
    So, I have asked repeatadly for the load data. All youve done is post others data, and it still hasent proved that one can load a 45 Long Colt with a 250gn bullet and produce 1,800fps.
    I have a suspicion that ive read elsewhere with some of your boasting that you couldnt back up with raw data.

You stating that the powder is not availible to the public again here, was your giveaway. :blahblah:

Denagrating another member is most likely not the way to go here.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    So, I have asked repeatadly for the load data. All youve done is post others data, and it still hasent proved that one can load a 45 Long Colt with a 250gn bullet and produce 1,800fps.
    I have a suspicion that ive read elsewhere with some of your boasting that you couldnt back up with raw data.

You stating that the powder is not availible to the public again here, was your giveaway. :blahblah:

Denagrating another member is most likely not the way to go here.
    Whatever dude……

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We used to back up at Talens loading dock years ago and bought whatever we needed.
    Jeff Bartlett,Pat McDonald and many others bought from Talen Industries to resell when they were in business demilling.
    820 was readily availible as new powder, pulldown and as 820 fast then.
    Its a nothing berger...
    Screenshot_20221127-085133_Facebook.jpg

Top Bottom