• Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    LEGO My Gun: S.I. Boy Faced Suspension Over Tiny Toy - News- msnbc.com
    gun6.jpg

A 4th grader faced suspension over that ^^^.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's a school. It's the one place that kids should be able to make mistakes*. That's the ENTIRE POINT. Zero-tolerance policies are a crutch for administrators who are too lazy to use their brains.

*not implying this kid made a mistake or even that this should have been an issue

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Zero-tolerance policies are a crutch for administrators who are too lazy to use their brains.

That and for administrators who are too scared of liability or controversy.

By liability I am not suggesting that the kid might threaten the school with it, but that if something were to happen in that school the the finger pointing later would say that the principal encouraged the behaviors by allowing such dangerous toys in the school by such obviously troubled children, blah blaah bleat bleat bleat. The sad part is that I am not making this up, it's exactly the sort of thing administrators think about and it's encouraged by the school legal advisors.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Back when I was in school they would have us build dioramas for different things. In history class we built one about the civil war complete with guns and cannons. To me it made it a whole lot more interesting than just reading about it. I had a fifth grade teacher who would bring in guns and swords that had been used in the war. To me, back then "zero tolerance" ment that you wouldn't leave school without learning something.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    A fourth grade New Dorp boy faced the prospect of suspension after the principal at his South Beach school saw him playing with an action figure carrying a toy machine gun.

How do they know it's a toy machine gun and not the semi-automatic "sporting" version? Did it have the "hole"? Or did an ATF agent fiddle with it until he got it to slam fire a few times? Or it it just a sheeple response... if it looks like a machine gun, it's a machine gun?

Inquiring minds need to know? :):

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How do they know it's a toy machine gun and not the semi-automatic "sporting" version? Did it have the "hole"? Or did an ATF agent fiddle with it until he got it to slam fire a few times? Or it it just a sheeple response... if it looks like a machine gun, it's a machine gun?

Inquiring minds need to know? :):

I'm more concerned by the fact that the LEGO dude is carrying it by the scope.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The education-industrial complex, focusing on minutiae while lowering the bar and emptying the public treasury.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    That's about fargin stoopid.

I have had to have the painful conversation with my youngest about
    drawing pictures of a gun lest some busy body at school cause a
    problem with this zero tolerance policy :poop:

Let alone him wanting to take a nerf dart gun with him or talk about
    the new Cricket rifle he got here.

I can't stand it.

I remember in 6th grade one of the teachers was a civil war buff and he
    brought in relics including a RIFLE.
    It was horrible, you should have seen the carnage.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    LEGO My Gun: S.I. Boy Faced Suspension Over Tiny Toy

A fourth grade New Dorp boy faced the prospect of suspension after the principal at his South Beach school saw him playing with an action figure carrying a toy machine gun.
    What planet is this on?? I don't recognize the names of these places!

S.I., South Beach, New Dorp?

Man that irritates me.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What planet is this on?? I don't recognize the names of these places!

S.I., South Beach, New Dorp?

Man that irritates me.

FTA: "Staten Island"

This seems to be a problem with local "journalists". As news media is moving to web-based content delivery, they seem to forget that their audience is now global and they assume you know where they're located or what city they're talking about.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    There are no such things as public schools any more. They are now nothing more than government indoctrination centers. Stories like this are living proof. I fear for those coming up because of it.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm more concerned by the fact that the LEGO dude is carrying it by the scope.
    I can't see a better place to hold it. The bore axis is much closer to the scope than the grip. Besides, I'm not sure exactly where the gas tube leads but it sure ain't the action and I'd hate to put my face there.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Let's pony up our cash and buy the kid the coolest most bad arse nerf gun and mail it to him. Sorry kid, guns aren't bad and you're getting the shaft by an administration that is put in place to teach you but obviously doesn't care about you.

God help us if we end up like Britain (sorry Kirk!), God save us before we get there.

Ever hear about making males effeminate? Deny them their natural instinct of rough housing, making everything a gun/sword, and rubbing their nose in something that isn't wrong.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I can't see a better place to hold it. The bore axis is much closer to the scope than the grip. Besides, I'm not sure exactly where the gas tube leads but it sure ain't the action and I'd hate to put my face there.

Clearly some work needs to be done in the field of LEGO firearms. :)

Top Bottom