• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Forty three years ago tomorrow on 02-12-1970 I was the unwilling and I would also say ungrateful recipient of one round of NATO 7.62 Ball whilst enjoying my all expense paid vacation in sunny Southeast Asia. Not wishing to receive another such gift especially through an act of negligence on my part I spent a couple of days last week constructing an anniversary present to myself. I spend about 50 t0 60 hours a week in my basement shop much of it tinkering with firearms (my own and those of several friends). Four concrete walls and a concrete floor do not make a very efficient bullet catcher and as I am much too old and worn out to attempt to dodge another round I built this. 150 lbs. of sand in a 15gal. 16ga. steel drum with 11/2" plywood baffles. :)

45_zps97d06f1d.jpg

11_zps8d02a5b9.jpg

12_zps31021b10.jpg

4_zps27a3152a.jpg

32_zpsc002e45b.jpg

21_zps8868e5b3.jpg

23_zpsab9800a2.jpg

34_zps489c80d4.jpg

36_zps024e973a.jpg

38_zps2ea7b8b3.jpg

43_zpsa12bbf82.jpg

42_zps515e8902.jpg

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Out of my own curiosity, and not to cause trouble...I know that my gunsmith friend and local PD have these contraptions and are licensed to be able to discharge a firearm in city limits...do you need special licensing or anything to do the same in your basement?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    are licensed to be able to discharge a firearm in city limits

Smokin, the opitmal result is to NEVER discharge a firearm in his basement.

However, everytime you load or unload a firearm, said firearm can discharge even if your finger is nowhere near the trigger.

The sand barrel provides a backstop pursuant to Rule #4 instead of riccing off the concrete to who knows where.

Vince, I forgot to say, thank you for your service.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Yikes!

Out of my own curiosity, and not to cause trouble...I know that my gunsmith friend and local PD have these contraptions and are licensed to be able to discharge a firearm in city limits...do you need special licensing or anything to do the same in your basement?

I have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of discharging a firearm in my basement! :rolleyes: This thing is there because in order to work on clean etc. my PISTOLS they must necessarily be unloaded and reloaded. If one should discharge due either to a malfunction of the weapon or my pea brain I DO NOT want said round zinging aground the four concrete walls! :runaway: And to answer another post this barrel is for pistol caliber only as I am afraid that the hydraulic pressure imparted through the sand by a high velocity round would probably rupture the barrel.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Da nada.

Smokin, the opitmal result is to NEVER discharge a firearm in his basement.

However, everytime you load or unload a firearm, said firearm can discharge even if your finger is nowhere near the trigger.

The sand barrel provides a backstop pursuant to Rule #4 instead of riccing off the concrete to who knows where.

Vince, I forgot to say, thank you for your service.

You are quite welcome Kirk and thank you for your continuing efforts to ensure that we all remain safety conscious. Which, by the way, reminds me that I need to pay my ISRPA dues this month. :yesway: :rockwoot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom