• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I am looking at getting a ankle holster for my GLOCK 43X . Do any of you have real experience using one , and what brand . I am looking at a DeSantis DIE HARD holster , looking at price and quality aspect also.Thanks for any help and opinions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I can't really offer any help for your pistol choice. But I did try sporting an ankle holster a few times. Things I noted: Depending on my pants/shoes combination, it felt like its presence was obvious. Mostly just the way my pant leg flowed (or didn't). It was easy to bang it on stuff like stairs or the leg of a chair. I'm right handed and chose to wear it on the inside of my left leg. I'm not sure if that's typical or if I was doing it wrong.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I wear a Galco Cop ankle holster 4 days a week 13hrs/day. Have for past 7 years. The holster still holds just fine. I don't like ankle carry but if I absolutely have to keep the gun hidden and I absolutely can't put it anywhere else on my body then ankle carry it is. Definitely spend good money on a quality unit if you know you're going to be wearing it frequently. You'll be glad you did
    ETA: wear long socks and be careful how you cross your legs around people

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Great. Lou Alessi was very good at what he did, and a hilarious smart mouth. I miss him.
    That's one style of carry I tried years ago with many different holsters, and brands. I just gave up on it.
    They were either to flimsy, or so sturdy, and uncomfortable you didn't want to wear it for more than a hour, or two tops.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Sneaky Pete Bug Bite is the most comfortable i have ever worn. https://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/the-bugbite-ankle-holster/

I've carried an LCP Max and the weight distribution is excellent. The large sock design eliminates any wobbling or odd tightness for me.

The one big downside is the model recommended for the LCP seems to swallow the pistol. Drawing the pistol is slower and a bit more cumbersome. I used a cheap Uncle Mike's for years and was fairly proficient at drawing it out. but if you snug the pistol into the Bug Bite it takes an extra second or two to retrieve.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Wore a Glock 26 in a Galco Ankle Glove for 10 years. It's a comfortable holster with secure retention, which is vital for an ankle rig. Never fell off once, and that included a lot of running and numerous fights.

I wore it on my calf above an 8" boot and it was very secure in that manner. Not so much with short shoes. Your pants have to be loose enough to allow you to get to the gun, too. Even then, it's hard to get to from most positions...I'd only consider it for a backup gun or situations where you absolutely must keep the gun concealed. A quick-draw solution it is not.

It's a viable method of carry for certain applications, but not for everything. If you're going to do it, don't cheap out...buy a quality holster and understand the limitations and that you'll have to dress around it.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I have the diehard ankle rig for my 43X. It is a very well constructed rig with good Velcro, plenty of wrap on the ankle and a good value. At work I use a Galco for my backup gun, also a quality setup.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Wore a Glock 26 in a Galco Ankle Glove for 10 years. It's a comfortable holster with secure retention, which is vital for an ankle rig. Never fell off once, and that included a lot of running and numerous fights.

I wore it on my calf above an 8" boot and it was very secure in that manner. Not so much with short shoes. Your pants have to be loose enough to allow you to get to the gun, too. Even then, it's hard to get to from most positions...I'd only consider it for a backup gun or situations where you absolutely must keep the gun concealed. A quick-draw solution it is not.

It's a viable method of carry for certain applications, but not for everything. If you're going to do it, don't cheap out...buy a quality holster and understand the limitations and that you'll have to dress around it.
    Same except with issued Smith model 38. It as my second backup. First backup was in left trouser pocket. I realize this is an option of last resort for some people, either they carry this way or not at all. If that is the case then I get it, if not I would never choose this as a primary carry method.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sneaky Pete Bug Bite is the most comfortable i have ever worn. https://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/the-bugbite-ankle-holster/

I've carried an LCP Max and the weight distribution is excellent. The large sock design eliminates any wobbling or odd tightness for me.

The one big downside is the model recommended for the LCP seems to swallow the pistol. Drawing the pistol is slower and a bit more cumbersome. I used a cheap Uncle Mike's for years and was fairly proficient at drawing it out. but if you snug the pistol into the Bug Bite it takes an extra second or two to retrieve.
    A literal extra second or two could be a lifetime when added to an already slow, cumbersome draw of ankle carry. Unless we are talking while seated in which in a few cases it is actually a useful method.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm in agreement that ankle carry shouldn't ever be a primary carry method UNLESS it's the only way you can wear a gun. That's usually dictated by required clothing attire that you can't get around. But the OP hasn't really specified whether or not this the case

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    First backup was in left trouser pocket.
    That's where I'm at these days. Medical issues cause maintaining good circulation to my feet to become extra important, so I decided to stop strapping a neoprene "tourniquet" around it for 12+ hours per day. A 640 in a pocket is a good alternative...better accessibility in most positions, and more secure.

The years that I ankle carried though, it served me well. A good portion of that was in an environment where it was legal for me to carry, but there would have been severe consequences to my employment had I been "made." That never happened. It was a good way to have a gun where you can't have a gun, and to be able to carry something as capable as a Glock 26 discreetly was pretty nice.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Galco Ankle Lite holster on the inside of the left leg. i just have a Ruger LCP in it. It’s comfortable and feels secure.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have two Galco Ankle Gloves, one for a P938 and the other j frame. Wear one to church every Sunday.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont

I carried an H&K UP40C and a SIG 229 in a Galco Ankle Glove, total of 20+ years. Your points are absolutely correct. It's the way to carry a gun when you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Additional thought: ankle holsters change your stride, and can cause "Altered Gait Syndrome"

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    First hand experience with Galco Body Glove Ankle holster. Mine is for a P365 worn minimum 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Comfortable year round even in the heat down here.

If you’re so inclined it has the option of using straps as well. Mine has the leather holster versus kydex, which I think is more comfortable.

While not the best choice for a primary for bug use it’s ideal especially when driving.

Top Bottom