• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Another story of a mountain lion attacking a hiker in California. She is slightly injured and fights it with sticks, stones and her bare hands as her dog is gravely injured. There is an expensive hunt for the animal and she faces thousands in vet bills. Never mind a very cool dog may die.

Years ago we had a similar case when Gov. Rick Perry was out with his (daughter's) dog and attacked by a Coyote. Mr. Perry uses a Ruger .380 to immediately dispatch the animal. He and the dog are uninjured and there is no ongoing concerns over the attacking animal. When asked by a reporter what happed to the coyote he said it's 'mulch'.

Such an obvious difference in outcomes never seems to trigger a thought of: Geez, if she had a firearm this matter would have quickly ended for the better.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2022-05-18/california-woman-says-dog-defended-her-from-mountain-lion#:~:text=(AP)%20%E2%80%94%20A%20woman%20who,the%20Sacramento%20Bee%20on%20Tuesday.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There was a runner attacked by two dogs on the south side of Indy this spring...got his leg bit real bad and an ER trip he wasn't expecting.

This is why I've switched to always having my KelTec tucked in a Sticky holster in my waistband when running. The under armor style boxers are plenty enough tension to hold that setup in a secure position, and the combo works well enough that I was able to run the Mini with it this spring. With the side of a T-shirt tucked behind the serrations on the handle, you can pretty much forget it's there, and if the shirt is dark in color, most bystanders won't even see it. If I can do 13 miles of running without having to mess with it or worry about it coming loose, then I figure there is literally almost no time I shouldn't be armed.

Especially when dealing with animals, which aren't usually spaced out on drugs or shooting back, I really do think being armed can reduce the situation to a very manageable level for the human.

Last edited:

jdeanp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2022
    Southern IN
    My thought is that it depends Moreno the individual, their ability deal with stress, their training, etc than if they are or aren't armed.

Additionally, there are some fantastic reads about maneaters and the like in the Capstick books, which everyone has already read through, no doubt.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    My thought is that it depends Moreno the individual, their ability deal with stress, their training, etc than if they are or aren't armed.

Additionally, there are some fantastic reads about maneaters and the like in the Capstick books, which everyone has already read through, no doubt.
    Another thing to add to this is the tactics the animal uses to stalk its prey. The coyote in the example is likely to be primarily focused on the dog, while the mountain lion could be likely more focused on the larger meal, and will stalk very close, and likely attack from behind you. My thoughts are, and mind you I have zero experience being attacked by mountain lions, is if it gets the drop on you, you are likely going to be in the hospital at best, gun or not, if it’s going for the dog, well, that will hopefully give you a chance to react.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    If I can do 13 miles of running without having to mess with it or worry about it coming loose, then I figure there is literally almost no time I shouldn't be armed.

My little LCP gets mocked by some but I'm a distance bicyclist and can carry on the bike or anywhere else.
    Putting a laser on it was a game changer.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Seems that many people forget a firearm is there to protect against all threats and some are not human. A mean dog that gets off their chain or out of a pen and hit the street can be dangerous and even fatal to a human. Jim.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Years ago, I was riding my motorcycle through a city street in daylight conditions. Stopping at a stop sign, my left ankle was attacked by a medium large chasing dog. I slowed way down, kicked off the attack, dog went and attached to my right lower pant leg.

Again I kicked free, dog ran away squealing. Now I had 2 male subjects running up and yelling "why did you attack my dog"? One had a brick, other a 2x4 about 4 ft long.

I removed my Colt 1911 from a shoulder rig under my jacket, and asked them If their dog was in their yard, would I need this? They stopped dead in their approach, and walked away. Wasn't the 4 legged critter, it was the adult 2 leggers that I needed protection from.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Years ago, I was riding my motorcycle through a city street in daylight conditions. Stopping at a stop sign, my left ankle was attacked by a medium large chasing dog. I slowed way down, kicked off the attack, dog went and attached to my right lower pant leg.

Again I kicked free, dog ran away squealing. Now I had 2 male subjects running up and yelling "why did you attack my dog"? One had a brick, other a 2x4 about 4 ft long.

I removed my Colt 1911 from a shoulder rig under my jacket, and asked them If their dog was in their yard, would I need this? They stopped dead in their approach, and walked away. Wasn't the 4 legged critter, it was the adult 2 leggers that I needed protection from.
    If this happened today somebody would probably try to sue you for “child abuse”

Top Bottom