• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • michaeltee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    I was wondering if someone would like to share their recipes for .45 ACP and the 308 round. I am looking for accuracy in my 1911s (Wilson and Nighthawk). A 200g semiwadcutter would be best in many peoples opinions. Going the cheap route is not my goal. I want to use the BEST components. I am new to reloading, have done my homework, and will soon be receiving a Dillon 550B. I am looking forward to shooting quality rounds for half the price of Walmart. Lately I have been shooting 500-1000 rounds a week, so I am real excited to begin! :rockwoot:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Disclaimer: Use at your own caution. This is the maximum load recommended for Varget in the .308 with a 168 gr bullet.

Prvi Partizan brass
    CCI Large Rifle primers
    46.0 grains Varget
    Hornady A-Max 168 gr bullets
    Case trimmed to 2.005"
    OAL 2.785"

This load is still super sonic at 1,000 yards out of a 26" barrel and has shot 6" groups at 1,000 yards. I also have good results with 45.3 grains of varget out to 900 yards, but I think the round goes sub sonic at 1,000 yards.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Personally I like 4.0gr of Clays (or 4.2gr of WST) behind a plated 230gr RN bullet in my .45.
    Exactly this ^.

However, my advice would be to use data provided by the manufacturer on their web site or from your reloading book vs. taking random recipes off the net.
    Safety safety. :)

michaeltee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Exactly this ^.

However, my advice would be to use data provided by the manufacturer on their web site or from your reloading book vs. taking random recipes off the net.
    Safety safety. :)

I plan on starting out with the minimum load as recommended by the manufacture, then work my way up. I will check these recipes to be sure they aren't too hot. The last thing I want to do is blow a barrel off a $3000 pistol.

I appreciate the recipes guys. Keep em coming. :rockwoot:

michaeltee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Disclaimer: Use at your own caution. This is the maximum load recommended for Varget in the .308 with a 168 gr bullet.

Prvi Partizan brass
    CCI Large Rifle primers
    46.0 grains Varget
    Hornady A-Max 168 gr bullets
    Case trimmed to 2.005"
    OAL 2.785"

This load is still super sonic at 1,000 yards out of a 26" barrel and has shot 6" groups at 1,000 yards. I also have good results with 45.3 grains of varget out to 900 yards, but I think the round goes sub sonic at 1,000 yards.

That is impressive to say the least! Do you actually have to trim your cases?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Use at your own risk

The load for target and competition 45 for the last 30 years has be 5.0 - 5.5 Gr of W231, with a 200gr Lead SWC, when I first got into Ipsc that was THE load to use and I've used the 5.0 load of Winchester W231 for 30 years and can't find anything better.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The .45 loads other have listed for the 200 gr Semi Wadcutter are good ones, that I have used. I'll add another one; 4.3 grains TiteGroup. Winchester and CCI primers both work good with my load. The .45 acp is a pretty good caliber to load. You have to work pretty hard to make a bad load.

Daves load for the .308 sounds pretty good. Any time you can hold a 168 gr supersonic at 1000 with a 26 inch barrel, that is an impressive load. The slippery BC of the Amax is probably a big help.
    I would start at about 42-43 grains of Varget to establish how tight your barrel is. My Winchester barrel (26") would tolerate that load, but my HART barrel (30.5") inch would have overpressure problems. It is easier and safer to work up than down. Have fun!

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That is impressive to say the least! Do you actually have to trim your cases?

The manuals say to measure all the cases in a lot and if any need trimming, then trim them all. I have the RCBS Trimmate Pro with the 3-way cutter head, so I just trim all the cases after de-priming and re-sizing. I clean off the lube, inspect the cases and then prime all of them. I usually have about 500 cases primed and ready to load. I don't remove much brass at all but I know my case length is consistent. At 1,000 yards, I need as much help as I can get.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Regarding 308 ammo, I have tried to copy the performance of the federal gold medal match ammo in my DPMS 308B. I use 43.0gr of varget under a 168gr matchking and I get amazing results out of my 18" barrel.

michaeltee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Regarding 308 ammo, I have tried to copy the performance of the federal gold medal match ammo in my DPMS 308B. I use 43.0gr of varget under a 168gr matchking and I get amazing results out of my 18" barrel.

I too have a 18" DPMS SASS. I am not sure of the twist rate. I can't find it online either. I bet its in the manual, but who ever reads those!

michaeltee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    The manuals say to measure all the cases in a lot and if any need trimming, then trim them all. I have the RCBS Trimmate Pro with the 3-way cutter head, so I just trim all the cases after de-priming and re-sizing. I clean off the lube, inspect the cases and then prime all of them. I usually have about 500 cases primed and ready to load. I don't remove much brass at all but I know my case length is consistent. At 1,000 yards, I need as much help as I can get.

Your advise is noted. Thanks for the info. That is awesome you get to practice at 1000 yards. The most I see is 100 yards.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Michaeltee, it is easy to check barrel twist rate. Firmly screw a cleaning brush to a rod and push it fully into the rifling. Put a piece of tape on the cleaning rod with the end hanging like a flag. Push the rod in until the tape "flag" rotates one full turn. Measure distance the rod went in to make that turn. Pretty easy, no special tools.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    start 10% below max on chart, dillon is a great reloader, but check your powder throw with a good scale just for safely, and use a chrony, check for stress and pressure signs on your brass, happy reloading:welcome:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    For the .308 recipe I use...

168gr Hornaday A-Max bullets
    41gr of Hodgdon H4895 powder
    Winchester or LC Brass
    Winchester Primers

Edit: I've tested this load out to roughly 500 yards, the longest I'm able to shoot where I live and I'm sure it will do fine up to 800. Much further and you might consider adding more powder.

Top Bottom