• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travism

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I was discussing with a friend of mine about a final demise in which he told me he was buying tons of 22 caliber ammo. We spoke about how it's hard to find on the shelves anymore, and how it's the cheapest ammo to shoot. His thoughts were that he could hold off attackers with 22 caliber ammo. I understand that when you shoot someone with 22 caliber it just bounces around, and never comes out. I still have to believe it's not enough.. What's everyone else thoughts?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I guess we are all limited in each of our imaginations (and budgets) as to what might be a 'final demise' situation.

22lr is a good round for small game. Maybe if food scarcity is a shtf concern it would be wise to have some on hand. I wouldn't use it for defensive purposes, but it would be better than nothing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Maybe if I got through all my 7.62NATO, .30-06, .45-70, 7.35 Carcano, .30-30, .303 Enfield, 12ga., 16ga, 20ga., .45LC, .45ACP, 9mm, .32ACP, and had run out of arrows for my bows I'd run right to a few thousand rounds of .22LR before switching to edged weapons.

You 'can' kill someone with a pencil but would you really want to use that to defend yourself against my dueling sword?

The issue is not just killing things...it's killing things that might be trying to kill you with better tools. It's better to use the best tools available and work back from there.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    .22LR is a good prep but as Thor said, I would use other calibers first. .22LR does not have a lot of stopping power and it requires precise shot placement to be effective on anything bigger than a small animal.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    You won't be getting in very many gun fights before you'll probably catch a bullet yourself. The folks who "prep" by just buying thousands of rounds of ammo and nothing else probably won't live through the first reload.

Stop worrying so much about killing people and worry more about killing game.

Sure, you can take a lot of small game with a .22, but that's not so efficient.

I personally suggest getting a good stock of hunting ammo in deer calibers. Feed yourself, and if necessary they can be used defensively. A lot of people suggest .22 as trade fodder, but that's a secondary concern to your main preparations.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Bog, I think you'll notice most of the calibers I mentioned will work just fine on deer ;).

The gun fighting came in as part of the OPs question. Then training and preparation along with appropriate equipment will go a long way in getting through the opening salvos.

As noted in fighter pilot combat statistics, the pilots who get through the first 10 combat missions have a MUCH greater chance of getting through the war alive. Our training is based on getting them that experience before anyone starts actually shooting at them. If you are training for combat it should be based on those concepts...but in a safe, controllable, and preferably recordable way so that all participants can go back and review their actions. And if you do all that it's probably not cheap.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Here's an article that may answer your question fairly well.

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association

Yes a 22lr can kill you just as dead as a 50bmg. Not ideal for most people though. If your friend has some physical issue that hasn't been mentioned that doesn't permit him to use a larger cartridge, that 22lr is a good choice and sure beats carrying a rock. If his only reason for choosing the cartridge is so that he can carry more ammo than a marine uses in 3 wars, then he may want to rethink. For non self defense uses the 22lr does an admirable job, particularly if broken down by cost. For self defense though, it wouldn't be my first choice.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My FAL and a decent amount of .308 is my "go to" if things ever fell apart. 22LR is fine for practicing, small game, stuff like that but I sure wouldn't want to rely on it vs. anyone with an AR, AK, FAL, anything like that. Now, subsonic 22LR through a suppressor on a 10/22 has a whole other purpose. That can be used in all sorts of interesting ways if someone has good night vision or even just for not spooking small game.

Only reason I have a stockpile of 22LR is the cheap bulk packs of Federal I picked up every month back when it was plentiful and cheap as dirt. My kids were just getting to shooting age and I knew we would be going through a bunch. I always tried to replace a box with two for a long time. Wish I had stocked up on subsonic, but never bothered until I discovered the fun of shooting with a suppressor.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It has been widely published many times that the 22LR has killed people far many people than any other caliber. I don't really know if that is true, but the 22LR handgun and rifles has a place in my plans.

A face full of lowly 22's cannot be ignored.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    With respect to OP and his buddy...this kinda solidifies my mental image of neckbeards with linen closets full of Wally World Federal bulk packs..."just in case".

Because having "tons" of 22LR will be so very easy to move during a flood, earthquake, wind storm, EMP attack, alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, Red Dawn-esque sneak attack by foreign nations, or worldwide failure of the beer supply.

While I'd rather have more gun in a defensive or offensive scenario, I'm not volunteering to stand in front of a 22LR and have all the confidence in the world they can successfully be used to harvest game up to and including deer.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It has been widely published many times that the 22LR has killed people far many people than any other caliber. I don't really know if that is true, but the 22LR handgun and rifles has a place in my plans.

A face full of lowly 22's cannot be ignored.

Except at say 200yds...other than that the .22 has a significant place in my plans though with other options it is not my go to gun to stop anything but small game. I can kill deer with my .177 air rifle but it does not mean it would be my first choice.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I think it is a nice choice for a lot of stuff. You can cheaply stock up on thousands of rounds. Face it, no one want to get hit with one. Not the best choice, but could be good to hand to a neighbor, a younger and capable shooters, wives, even a 10/22 take down as a truck gun etc. I would not discount it. Sure there are better choices for defensive uses, but you can get a Marlin 795 for $150+/- 25 round mags for $15 and a brick of 22lr for $40 fairly easily. Right there you have some firepower that I would not want to mess with for just over $200. A decent AR can be had for around $600. On a budget, this could be a decent alternative.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    well I would say an M&P 15-22 and a few 25 round mags would keep my head down if some one started flinging them my way. but I wouldn't want to protect my family with nothing but a 22. I think id at least want an AR and some 223 stocked up.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    It depends on what kind of "attackers" he's anticipating.

zombies (the slow kind-not the fast ones) .22 would be my first choice.

Just about anything else, I'd choose more.

But if that's what he can afford, I'll applaud his desire to provide as best he can.
    I'd suggest LOTS of magazines as an economical upgrade.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    I believe that placement, placement, placement are the 3 rules of stopping power. A lot of assassins have chosen poorly if that's not the case.
    Lost

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Not to mention just about everything is cover from a .22. You got a group of armored opponents hiding behind cars or trees or phone books, and they're shooting 5.56 and 7.62 at you, your .22 is worthless.

Not to say it doesn't have a purpose. Its purpose is just not defense.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I believe that placement, placement, placement are the 3 rules of stopping power. A lot of assassins have chosen poorly if that's not the case.
    Lost

Assassinating someone and being in a firefight are two different things. I can see a .22 being a viable offensive caliber, in this case. All others, it has very limited capabilities.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    well I would say an M&P 15-22 and a few 25 round mags would keep my head down if some one started flinging them my way. but I wouldn't want to protect my family with nothing but a 22. I think id at least want an AR and some 223 stocked up.

Because that extra .003 is MAGIC!

Why not pick something you wouldn't be laughed out of deer camp for carrying?

Top Bottom