• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It’s not the shipping laws it is the sales laws. Companies are not supposed to sell "used ammo" because they don't know what happened to it. They quote federal law saying that they must sell only ammo loaded by a licensed loader, so if you are not licensed then they can't sell ammo they got from you. I as well don't sell ammo that comes in second hand unless I specify that I got it from an Individual and it is at their own risk. I do get it from other dealers and licensed loaders as well as wholesalers. Insurance is a whole other matter.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Lawguns.....thank you! That finally connected the dots for me!

Funny, I never made the connection (kind of like The Mr. Obvious Show.)

I had established earlier that it had nothing to do with the shipping of ammunition, but rather the return of it due to saftey reasons. I just couldn't find anything tied to law that indicated such. So, it is the "we can only sell ammo from a licensed loader" law they are referring to when quoting federal law. (Too lazy to go look up the official language.)

Funny how things can have mutiple interpretations!! I see a lot of companies now with the disclaimer that it is company policy and they have removed the "against federal law language".

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Really it is the insurance that hammers them. If they cold prove that you did not load it I guess they could resell it but none on the big stores will. I have a buddy that used to have the hook up at Galyan's and would get all their returned ammo for "disposal" he always had the best parties.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    I would speculate that the biggest problem would be for a hazardous material rating to be on the returned ammunition. I was looking on Midway and there is a Haz-mat charge assigned to buying powder for reloading. I have also seen some fairly nutty (in my opinion) regulations pertaining to ammunition transport in the military. So there may not be a law but I could defiantly see a company policy or a fed or state regulation. Now if I owned a company I would want to make the customer happy but the liability issue of receiving ammunition (that I would resell to another customer) could cause some friction if the ammo failed or was in some way defective and then I tried to (as the dealer) send it back to the manufacture for refund or replacement. Once, most likely, would not be an issue but if it happened over and over..... the manufacturer might not want to deal with me. I say use it for practice and check the invoice closely before confirming the purchase. That is what the invoice screen is for. Best of luck in the future.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ammo shipped has to be marked ORM-D (Other regulated Material)small arms ammo but is not hazmat like Powders or Primers are.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have a buddy that used to have the hook up at Galyan's and would get all their returned ammo for "disposal" he always had the best parties.

Now that right there sounds like a party!!:rockwoot:The good ole days huh? Wish there were still those opportunities around!

:ar15:

Thanks again for the info!!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It is just easier to say no returns -(state law - Donnie Baker) its the law. Too easy for people to tamper with the ammo.

Top Bottom