• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    IMHO, the gsg/firefly (originally imported as a sig sauer mosquito) happens to be one of the biggest (if no the biggest) disappointment ever to have “sig sauer” stamped on it, I would highly recommend walking away from it…no actually I recommend running away as fast as you can!, IF you can’t afford anything else, I recommend you start selling plasma, stand on the corner and beg just to (and if you wanted to sell your body l wouldn’t blame or judge you!) come up with the cash needed to buy a real pistol, perhaps a ruger mk4 or a sig p322, or a Taurus tx22.

When the manufacturer recommends only 1 type of ammo (I think it’s the 40 grain cci mini mag) and even then there’s a 50/50 chance of getting through a mag without some sort of malfunction…I would pass!

I admit I’m a huge sig sauer fan boy! (15 sigs if you count my 2 Anderson lowers with sig pistol uppers) I would never let the gsg/sig sauer sully my gun collection!

mikek

What, Me Worry??
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 24, 2019
    mooresville
    IMHO, the gsg/firefly (originally imported as a sig sauer mosquito) happens to be one of the biggest (if no the biggest) disappointment ever to have “sig sauer” stamped on it, I would highly recommend walking away from it…no actually I recommend running away as fast as you can!, IF you can’t afford anything else, I recommend you start selling plasma, stand on the corner and beg just to (and if you wanted to sell your body l wouldn’t blame or judge you!) come up with the cash needed to buy a real pistol, perhaps a ruger mk4 or a sig p322, or a Taurus tx22.

When the manufacturer recommends only 1 type of ammo (I think it’s the 40 grain cci mini mag) and even then there’s a 50/50 chance of getting through a mag without some sort of malfunction…I would pass!

I admit I’m a huge sig sauer fan boy! (15 sigs if you count my 2 Anderson lowers with sig pistol uppers) I would never let the gsg/sig sauer sully my gun collection!
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a TX 22, M&P.22 compact, SR22 and a Beretta Bobcat and was just looking for another .22 to have and shoot. I will check out the Sig p322

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I have the Sig version and fired every type of .22 ammo through it. I actually wore the trigger bar through the coating on the frame and inserted a piece of hardened steel and it keeps running great. This happened after 6000 rounds. My results are based on my actual use, not supposition. I have worked mine very hard over the time I have used it. There are some things that can be done to make chambering smoother. Same process I use on every .22lr I own.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Just Google "broken Sig mosquito" and you'll find lots more like these.

8065d1358614469-sig-self-destruction-3.jpg

cEBax1g.jpeg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    They were never great. Now they're quite old and there are better, newer designs available at the same price. See TX22.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Now do the same internet search on broken TX22
    I've never shot one, but it wouldn't surprise me if they break. It is a Taurus after all. I have shot the Sig P322, and wasn't particularly impressed with that one, either. I owned a Ruger SR22 for a while, traded it off, and don't miss that thing one bit.

I've given up on the "service-style" .22s that try to be a rimfire version of a center-fire gun, or at least emulate the look and shape of one. When you pick them up, most of them feel like a lightweight, cheaply constructed copy of a real gun and a lot of them have serious issues with reliability and durability. At the very least, they tend to be very ammo picky. The Beretta 87 is the exception to that rule, but I can't afford one.

I prefer a dedicated rimfire design for a semi-auto .22, particularly those that are built with some heft. I have a Ruger MkII and MkIV that are both accurate and reliable. I've got a pretty good opinion of the Buckmark and the S&W Model 41 as well.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    They were never great. Now they're quite old and there are better, newer designs available at the same price. See TX22.

Yup, I think that's a fair assessment. They were fun when they came out (when your other options were either bigger target .22s and maybe a handful of well made, but old, guns like the Beretta 70/71 series), but much better .22s have come out since.

GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    I'm trying to get my kid into shooting, I did alot of searching and it seems like the general consensus is the tx22 is the overall best bet. I rented a bunch of 22s and my kid liked the Mark IV 22/45 variant more than anything, wasn't even close.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm trying to get my kid into shooting, I did alot of searching and it seems like the general consensus is the tx22 is the overall best bet. I rented a bunch of 22s and my kid liked the Mark IV 22/45 variant more than anything, wasn't even close.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a Ruger Mark (insert favorite number here) in either the 22/45 or standard version. Your kid has good taste in .22LR pistols.

Top Bottom