American gun co 410 double barrel with exposed hammers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Hello all, I have acquired a american gun co 410 double barrel made around 1910. Was wondering if it can handle regular 2 1/2 light field loads or if that is to much pressure for it??
    It doesn't have damascus barrels and is rather tight in the action is why I think it could possibly handle that, but i want to hear more input. Hate to bulge the barrel or hurt the gun if it can be avoided.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Take off the forend. Take the barrels off the receiver. Tie a string to the lock portion of the barrels and suspend the barrels from the string.

Lightly tap the barrels with a metal object. It should ring like a bell if the barrels have not separated from each other. If they have separated, they will sound like a muted bell or thud.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Take off the forend. Take the barrels off the receiver. Tie a string to the lock portion of the barrels and suspend the barrels from the string.

Lightly tap the barrels with a metal object. It should ring like a bell if the barrels have not separated from each other. If they have separated, they will sound like a muted bell or thud.
    Sound advice right here. If you hear a deaden sound don't shoot the gun, however the gun may very well be fixable, if deaden sound is present.
    Why not load some low power 2 inch rounds for it??

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    ♂️I didn't even think about the sound test! I will give it a try soon as I'm home. If the barrels ring like a good bell and all is solid it should be good to go? The barrels are straight and smooth with bright bores as well. Absolutely no bulging. Also how would one make 2 inch shells for it? I haven't did much in the world of reloading. Is it a fairly simple process?

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    ♂️I didn't even think about the sound test! I will give it a try soon as I'm home. If the barrels ring like a good bell and all is solid it should be good to go? The barrels are straight and smooth with bright bores as well. Absolutely no bulging. Also how would one make 2 inch shells for it? I haven't did much in the world of reloading. Is it a fairly simple process?
    Didn't mean to put that symbol‍♂️

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    In all seriousness, I'd have no problem shooting it with 3"

These older guns were built like tanks with quality materials and knowledgeable builders.

If you don't feel comfortable shooting it, I will.
    Lol 3" would be a bit questionable for me to try. The barrels choke down tight and are quite thin compared to 410s from the 50s and 60s. I do agree the craftsmanship back then was superior.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I simply take and cut the hull down ....you can glue the wad in or work the hull until you get the hull to crimp......

Top Bottom