• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Just look what the unions have done for the auto industry? How many of us are driving this or last year's model?

If Amazon would unionize, would we be overpriced back to the anti-gun Walmart that we have avoided for years?

Labor costs account for about 10% of a vehicle's price.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    So a guy I knew got a union job at a auto industry parts supplier. First night second shift, they showed him how to put pieces in a press, stamp then then put them in a parts tub. He ran parts for about 4 hours, then not seeing anyone he went looking and spotted a bunch of guys playing cards and eating in the breakroom. He ate a bit then took a nap, woke up and asked when lunch was over.

Was told all those lounging were done and they called a steward to talk to my friend, they went back to his station and he showed them the 8 tubs of parts he made in 4 hours. The steward was upset, called for a fork truck to get the tubs out, he never made another part that week, the fork truck would show up and set down a tub each night from the first 4 hours work.

Yep, that is good for everyone…
    I love one sided views. I'll give you another side. At my (UAW) plant, we have four floor supervisors and three area managers for about 30 workers. The only thing they accomplish is zero communication, they have no clue what is going on with production, and they push their work onto the four team leaders (union workers).

Sure, it's all the union.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Maybe you didn't read what I wrote or chose not to believe it. I have averaged 70 hours every year, that's not good enough for the company they want more. I have never seen a year where asked OT was below 3000 hrs. That on top of the 40 work week. That's a lot more than 70 hours a week.

All jobs are not equal, 70 hrs at one job is not the same as 70 hrs at a different job. Implying that I don't want to work is classic. :lmfao:

Skilled labor should not have to work 70 hours a week to make a living.
    Great point. I believe Mike is/was a realtor…so his 70 hour work week is a hair different than yours.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I love one sided views. I'll give you another side. At my (UAW) plant, we have four floor supervisors and three area managers for about 30 workers. The only thing they accomplish is zero communication, they have no clue what is going on with production, and they push their work onto the four team leaders (union workers).

Sure, it's all the union.
    I have personally spent enough time in union plants to have seen with my own eyes just what is going on.

The one sided views are from union supporters. The truth is private sector unions are dying and the public do not care if they do.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not informed enough to give a definite answer. I do know that Amazon has a very high turnover rate. They pay around $17/hr which is pretty good pay, but, if they can't keep their workers, something is going on.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe you didn't read what I wrote or chose not to believe it. I have averaged 70 hours every year, that's not good enough for the company they want more. I have never seen a year where asked OT was below 3000 hrs. That on top of the 40 work week. That's a lot more than 70 hours a week.

All jobs are not equal, 70 hrs at one job is not the same as 70 hrs at a different job. Implying that I don't want to work is classic. :lmfao:

Skilled labor should not have to work 70 hours a week to make a living.
    I said get a job that does not require those hours…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They're in the offices enjoying the AC. The mills are not the only dangerous work environment out there. The reason the deaths are not that common is because of the union. We would definitely have a higher count if it wasn't for that.
    I asked where are the bodies of the dead non-union employees that would have been saved by union?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not informed enough to give a definite answer. I do know that Amazon has a very high turnover rate. They pay around $17/hr which is pretty good pay, but, if they can't keep their workers, something is going on.
    That something is likely the fact they have to work and actually do something besides sit on their phone all day…

These stats are likely millennials and we all know the work ethic of most of them. (Not all)

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have personally spent enough time in union plants to have seen with my own eyes just what is going on.

The one sided views are from union supporters. The truth is private sector unions are dying and the public do not care if they do.
    If you think I'm a union supporter, you obviously don't know the first thing about me. I've paid union dues for 20+ years, and the last person a union official wants to talk to is me. I call them on their ******** every time. However, I'm fair enough to see that the issues aren't one sided. There's been MANY times where I've personally begged management to fire temporary workers (how anti union of me). The union has no bargaining power with temp workers (it's in the contract), so it's entirely up to management whether to keep or fire Temps. Management would rather move them somewhere else than to do the paperwork. Instead, sooner or later, we get another "worthless union worker".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

What is the turnover rate for union work?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you think I'm a union supporter, you obviously don't know the first thing about me. I've paid union dues for 20+ years, and the last person a union official wants to talk to is me. I call them on their ******** every time. However, I'm fair enough to see that the issues aren't one sided. There's been MANY times where I've personally begged management to fire temporary workers (how anti union of me). The union has no bargaining power with temp workers (it's in the contract), so it's entirely up to management whether to keep or fire Temps. Management would rather move them somewhere else than to do the paperwork. Instead, sooner or later, we get another "worthless union worker".
    I get it, people are people on both sides. I spent many years in a union shop and many more in non-union. I have seen a lot of things…

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I get it, people are people on both sides. I spent many years in a union shop and many more in non-union. I have seen a lot of things…
    That's my point. It's always easy to vilify one side. Just like all cops are bastards - anyone with half a brain and some integrity will admit that isn't true. It isn't unreasonable to ask the same with the subject of unions.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That's my point. It's always easy to vilify one side. Just like all cops are bastards - anyone with half a brain and some integrity will admit that isn't true. It isn't unreasonable to ask the same with the subject of unions.
    My guess is the bad managers explain their bad results by blaming the union, and the union blames bad managers. Bad managers cannot hide so easily in a non-union shop. LOL

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My guess is the bad managers explain their bad results by blaming the union, and the union blames bad managers. Bad managers cannot hide so easily in a non-union shop. LOL
    In my plant, your guess would be wrong. Here, the issue is top management spends so much time making stupid decisions and then blaming lower management that lower management doesn't want to do anything that would actually improve productivity.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

View attachment 192394
    IMG_0890.JPG

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If you think the "worthless union worker" is happy about this, then you're clueless.
    I would never say that, ever. It is the unions I have issues with. In my example it was not the working guy, it was ridiculous unproductive work rules that a new guy could do a weeks work in 4 hours…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    In my plant, your guess would be wrong. Here, the issue is top management spends so much time making stupid decisions and then blaming lower management that lower management doesn't want to do anything that would actually improve productivity.
    I see now, low level management getting experience to be top management… LOL

Top Bottom