am i getting screwed? need advice from ingo...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    My mortgage lender (wells fargo) just notified me that I'm short on escrow and they are raising my monthly note about $100. The reason is because of a $1600 hazard insurance payment made to the same company (usaa) that I already pay homeowner's insurance to. I refied last October, so this is my first full year with Wells and don't know if this is SOP for borrowing from them.

Does anyone else pay hazard insurance on top of homeowners and NOT live in a flood zone?

Need advice please. Is this some sort of scheme to screw people out of their dough?

Chachi

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    From what I understand and I may be incorrect, I think it is up to your lender on whether they require Hazard Insurance or not. I think a phone call is in order tomorrow though and find out what the deal is.

We had a similar problem but the lender had us listed as being in a flood zone. We had to get a letter from FEMA stating we were not and the lender then took it off.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    This happens to me (and another good friend) just about every year. One year there isn't enough in escrow and the payment goes up, the next year I've overpaid and I get a check back, so on and so on. I can't speak on the hazard payment deal, I haven't had to deal with that yet. The escrow issue I've had happen to me and seen happen to others. I watch my escrow balance pretty close so it doesn't really bother me, plus I like it every other year getting a check back. Not to mention, Wells fargo sucks at estimating changing (or initial estimates of) property taxes, they go way low to sell the less expensive mortgage.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This happens to me (and another good friend) just about every year. One year there isn't enough in escrow and the payment goes up, the next year I've overpaid and I get a check back, so on and so on. I can't speak on the hazard payment deal, I haven't had to deal with that yet. The escrow issue I've had happen to me and seen happen to others. I watch my escrow balance pretty close so it doesn't really bother me, plus I like it every other year getting a check back. Not to mention, Wells fargo sucks at estimating changing (or initial estimates of) property taxes, they go way low to sell the less expensive mortgage.
    This^

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Wells Fargo is a horrible bank. The first chance you get to refinance, take it. Ask them in writing why you need to have Hazard Insurance on top of regular home owners. You can also call your local assessor office and find out from them if you are in a flood zone, or some other hazardous zone.

Personally, I have never let the bank escrow my taxes and insurance. I can handle my money a lot better than anyone else can.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Never had hazard, but my mortgage used to go up and down for escrow payment adjustments. Gotta pay my own taxes and insurance now, and it just goes up ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You need to make sure they aren't carrying a homeowners policy and paying for it and you are as well. It has happened before.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My house is paid off now, but here is an excerpt from a conversation I had with the new lender just after my loan was sold.

Me: Hi, this is schafe. I got a notice that my mortgage payment is going up to $$$...what's up?
    Them: You need to fill up an escrow account so we can pay your taxes and insurance.
    Me: But I pay those things...why do you need to do this?
    Them: So we can insure that they get paid.
    Me: But I've never missed a tax or insurance payment.
    Them: Sir, we're just exercising our option.
    Me: How do I know that you paid them? Will you send me a recipt of payment?
    Them: No, we won't, it doesn't work that way.
    Me: Really!! So for this year I have to pay double my taxes and insurance to fill up the account and pay taxes and insurance?
    Them: Yes sir.
    Me: This account earns interest doesn't it?
    Them: Yes sir
    Me: Who gets that interest?
    Them: Well you sure as hell don't!
    Me: I guess I see where this is going. thanks a lot.....(hang up):xmad:

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago

Same thing happens to me every year as well.

Top Bottom